GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited our new library main branch the other day and found a score of parking spaces up front with green signs reading LOW EMISSION/FUEL EFFICIENT PARKING ONLY. My picture shows a Tahoe, Equinox, and Highlander--none of which were hybrids. These weren't the only gas hogs there either. I guess the definition of LOW EMISSION/FUEL EFFICIENT is open to interpretation. I'm sure there is no enforcement of these spaces. Another interesting thing I spotted were 2 parking spaces that were fenced off with no parking signs. Inside the fence I saw a large electrical service box so I'm thinking this may be for a future charging station. Of course they will probably be ICE'd as soon as they open.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
We have that in California too. My office was required to add ~20 low-emission/carpool parking spaces. Half are usually occupied by large SUVs and trucks. At least they enforce the EV charging spaces.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Those words are totally meaningless since they are not defined. Plus, there is no penalty for ignoring them. A complete waste on signs and the labor to put them in.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Ask if the local municipal laws can apply fines to this violation. Then post new signs warning of fines and towing, and leave a tow truck parked nearby. That will scare away anyone without a hybrid/EV to attempt to park. If a violation does happen, call a law officer to come and apply the fine immediately! Just use the tow truck if the space is needed for a hybrid or EV to park there. Then by word of mouth the spaces will be left clear for true "low emissions" parking.

Meanwhile, make up paper warnings (on thin stock), and apply a layer of water based glue, then let dry and store them. When a violation happens, wet the warning and stick it on the windshield. The glue will dry and make the paper difficult to remove without a scraper blade. My wife managed a housing property that had free parking for residents but none for visitors, but when a visitor parked there, the paper warning made the violators angry but were at a loss because our local laws allows this. In a week, no more violations!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It’s not really that easy to write a municipal law restricting who can park where. A "Low Emission/Fuel Efficient Vehicle " sign will likely be as effective as a "Compact Car Only" sign (are such signs really intended to prevent SmartCars and Mini-Coopers from parking in those spaces?). I seem to recall there was an Arizona law at one time that restricted the recharging spots to vehicles that required electric fuel to operate, thus excluding Volts.

Here in Oregon, the legislature passed a law, effective in January 2016, designed to punish by fine those who park in parking spaces that were on premises open to the public and that were marked or signed as reserved for Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling. The law also required the vehicle to be engaged in the fueling process.

Perhaps the original intent was to enable the creation of electric car recharging spots, and rather than create a specific legal definition of "electric vehicle," the language of this law drew on current Oregon law that defines alternative fuel vehicles as motor vehicles that are able to use alternative fuels such as electricity, natural gas, ethanol, methanol, and propane.

Imagine, though, that you’ve parked your non-electric alternative fuel vehicle in an Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling spot equipped only with electric car recharging equipment. Are you entitled to park there because you are "engaged in the fueling process" if you are exchanging a propane cylinder at a near-by store, or are purchasing of a five-gallon can of ethanol to refuel your car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts