GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the GM recall center at https://my.gm.com/recalls and enter the VINs of my 2 Volts. They are both 2012 models. The web page came back with

GM Program
#
N140232
Date Issued:
Jan 01, 2001

It was also listed as "Special Coverage 14232"

Does anyone know what this may be for? Obviously the of Jan 01, 2001 is wrong, but that is what is displayed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
14232 is shown at the bottom of a letter from GM we received concerning possible steering gear issues on our 2013. It extends the warranty to 10/150k if the gear has specific problems. There are threads on GM-Volt about this.
Your servicing dealer may have more info. We never had the problem.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You can search the forum with that number. After driving for a long time on a straight road, (like 30+ minutes on the interstate) some cars get a notchy feel to the steering. Like there is a detent at dead center that makes steering a little awkward. It goes away if you make some tight turns. The fix for 2012 is to replace the power steering rack, I believe.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You can search the forum with that number. After driving for a long time on a straight road, (like 30+ minutes on the interstate) some cars get a notchy feel to the steering. Like there is a detent at dead center that makes steering a little awkward. It goes away if you make some tight turns. The fix for 2012 is to replace the power steering rack, I believe.
Exactly the symptom I had, it sort of felt like the steering had a NULL spot when you were turning the wheel. It finally got bad enough I took mine in. All it required was a software update and I've been fine since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts