GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if anyone heard from the Chevrolet Volt Owner's FB page, but Sparkie broke down last Sunday and had to be towed to a Chevrolet dealership.

Message on the center console stated "Lost communication with high voltage charging system".

Anyway, problem was caused by the failure of the Powertrain Control Module. $1,000 and 3 days later Sparkie was back on the road.

Has anyone else heard of the module failing on a Volt? Not bad having the first breakdown at 300K+ miles though.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Powertrain Control Module? I wonder if that is (or includes) the traction motor controller. If so, $1,000 is a heck of a deal and not much more than most ICEV ECUs.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Glad to see you got it fixed.... 300K+ miles? you'd have to drive like 60K a year to rack that up! or at least 1200 miles a week every week for 5 years. Do you live in this car? :p

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to see you got it fixed.... 300K+ miles? you'd have to drive like 60K a year to rack that up! or at least 1200 miles a week every week for 5 years. Do you live in this car? :p
It's not me. The owner, Erick Belmer, commutes 110 miles each way to work. He works for GM and they closed down his plant in OH. Instead of moving his family, he commutes. He calls his commute his second job.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It's not me. The owner, Erick Belmer, commutes 110 miles each way to work. He works for GM and they closed down his plant in OH. Instead of moving his family, he commutes. He calls his commute his second job.

Yeah, he is hardcore with the amount of miles on his Gen1!:D

Noticed he recently uploaded the video above where he states NO overall range loss from his battery pack even after so many miles!

Could it be possible the Gen1 battery pack will never experience range loss and will continue having the exact same battery range even after 500k miles or more!?:confused:

This is in contradiction to the findings over at the Idaho National Laboratory which measured battery capacity loss of between 8 to 10% for a fleet of 4 Gen1 Volts after @100k miles: Idaho National Laboratory publishes Gen1 Battery Pack Capacity End-of-Test Results

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
A great example of why folks trading in their cars after a few years worried about the B2B warranty expiring should reconsider. My volt is only at 50k miles so I have a long way to go.

Man I would not commute 110 miles. My 50 mile commute is about all I would care to do. Or get a cheap apartment on the other end and spend a few night there and few nights at home.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Man I would not commute 110 miles. My 50 mile commute is about all I would care to do.
I'm with you on that. I've been doing a 97 mile round trip commute for just a hair under three years and even though it's an "easy" back-country drive with the beautiful Shenandoah mountains as a backdrop.... it's starting to wear me out.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Following "Sparkie" on Voltstats along witn reading user reviews is what convinced me to take a chance on GM and the Volt. I look forward to reading about Sparkie hitting 400,000 miles. At the rate I am accumulating miles, it will be 2025 before I hit 100,000.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Built VOLT tough. GM's overly cautious design is paying dividends. Maybe they will slowly reduce the buffer and provide another kW or two back to the consumer. Instant 6 to 10 mile range increase at ZERO cost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm with you on that. I've been doing a 97 mile round trip commute for just a hair under three years and even though it's an "easy" back-country drive with the beautiful Shenandoah mountains as a backdrop.... it's starting to wear me out.
Mine's 95 miles round trip on significantly less interesting I-83 in southern PA / northern MD. I listen to podcasts or music or TV (through either Sling or XM). Mix it up, get some variety in there. It helps. Been doing this for about 8 years now. When they close my current facility, I may have to work further south in MD, extending my commute to 145 miles per day.

I look at the other ELRs on voltstats and think, 18 months, tops, and I'll be the total miles leader.

Sparkie made me feel a lot better about getting the ELR...

--Chris

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Mine's 95 miles round trip on significantly less interesting I-83 in southern PA / northern MD. I listen to podcasts or music or TV (through either Sling or XM). Mix it up, get some variety in there. It helps. Been doing this for about 8 years now. When they close my current facility, I may have to work further south in MD, extending my commute to 145 miles per day.

I look at the other ELRs on voltstats and think, 18 months, tops, and I'll be the total miles leader.

Sparkie made me feel a lot better about getting the ELR...
Given your commute I suspect the ACC has more than paid for itself. I love that feature on long drives and you're doing that daily.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Man and I thought I hated my 70 mile round trip commute... to be fair 1/2 of it is through morning rush out dallas/Fort worth traffic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
110 miles one way - that's tough. Handily beats my 88 miles one way - although a significant portion of mine is on the I-405 through West LA and the San Fernando Valley (no good scenery - just miles and miles of brake lights). On a more positive note though - I'm crossing 150K miles this week and I can also report no degradation in battery performance. What's more - in another week or two I'll be crossing 100K miles electric. Woo Hoo! This car is a trooper - most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. Now if only tires lasted as long - after 93K miles it's finally time to replace my Continental ProContacts (w/Ecoplus) - have decided after reviewing the test reports on Tire Rack to go with Continental True Contacts (top performer in their Standard Touring tire category and one of the best fuel mileage performers in all categories). Look forward to being able to report on this the next time we all turn our attention to replacement tires.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Powertrain Control Module? I wonder if that is (or includes) the traction motor controller. If so, $1,000 is a heck of a deal and not much more than most ICEV ECUs.
My understanding from his FB page was the module was a little over $300 and the rest was labour and diagnostics. The module is located under the front passenger seat and is apparently not too difficult to access for a DIY'er.

Yeah, he is hardcore with the amount of miles on his Gen1!:D

Noticed he recently uploaded the video above where he states NO overall range loss from his battery pack even after so many miles!

Could it be possible the Gen1 battery pack will never experience range loss and will continue having the exact same battery range even after 500k miles or more!?:confused:

This is in contradiction to the findings over at the Idaho National Laboratory which measured battery capacity loss of between 8 to 10% for a fleet of 4 Gen1 Volts after @100k miles: Idaho National Laboratory publishes Gen1 Battery Pack Capacity End-of-Test Results
There has been some talk that GM might have built in an algorithm that expands the % used of the battery over time. So as a rough example the battery might drop from 16KWh to say 15KWh over many years but the usable EV energy still remains around 10KWh.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
300,000+ miles and it breaks down? What a piece of junk, I'll never by a GM car again! :p

·
Registered
129 Posts
Given your commute I suspect the ACC has more than paid for itself. I love that feature on long drives and you're doing that daily.
Oh, hells yeah. I use it on the country roads I sometimes take (for a more interesting / different drive), too, albeit with a lot more attention paid to other traffic. I'm surprised at how well it does even on streets with cars parked at the curb, and it has never misidentified an oncoming car.

BTW, purchased 47 days ago, odometer now at 4,369.

--Chris

·
Registered
350 Posts
There has been some talk that GM might have built in an algorithm that expands the % used of the battery over time. So as a rough example the battery might drop from 16KWh to say 15KWh over many years but the usable EV energy still remains around 10KWh.
There is a previous thread (that I cannot find) where WOT insists that this is not true.

·
Registered
878 Posts
This is probably the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2) . Here is a link to a previous thread on the HPCM2 functions as described by Supermoderator/GM engineer WOT. it is one of most important of about 30 electronic "brains" in the Volt, Not electronic "brawn" (power electronics like the traction motor power inverter).

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?185202-hybrid-powertrain-control-module-2

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2006 Prius battery started significantly weakening last year at 180,000 miles. I traded in the Prius for my Volt. Glad to hear the Volt battery is lasting longer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts