GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WOT, not sure if you saw my previous question. Did you drive it in SPORT? Is SPORT different than NORMAL.

7.9 seconds or less is certainly better than the the Volt at ~8.5-8.9 seconds (edmonds, MT, etc doc testing).

See this quote: via article: General Motors Begins First U.S. Production of Electric Motors for 2014 Spark-EV
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gen...ion-of-electric-motors-for-2014-spark-ev.html ]
Scott
AFAIK the SPORT mode works just a bit different than it does on the Volt but essentially with the same result (more fun!)
Selecting SPORT changes the delivered torque mapping at nearly all demand inputs and well as reduced levels of torque "pull-out" from various torque management tables. It will still work in conjunction with the traction and stability controls too.
WOT

See SPORT button below shifter?!? Not a mode-click-click thing but a push of one button!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I can't complain but looking at the adjustability of RC race car ESC mapping that is possible, the single button sport mode in the 1:1 scale EVs leaves anyone who has done RC car or plane hobbies wanting for more adjustability.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Thanks for posting this Scott. I would have missed it.

This is great! Not only will you have a performance mode, you'll have it well sorted. One issue I've had with the "Modes" in the Volt is that "Sport" has nothing to do with the other Modes (Normal, Mountain, Hold). Those are related to managing CD and CS Modes, which Sport has nothing to do with. Putting Sport on a separate button sorts this out nicely.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for posting this Scott. I would have missed it.

This is great! Not only will you have a performance mode, you'll have it well sorted. One issue I've had with the "Modes" in the Volt is that "Sport" has nothing to do with the other Modes (Normal, Mountain, Hold). Those are related to managing CD and CS Modes, which Sport has nothing to do with. Putting Sport on a separate button sorts this out nicely.
This has been one of my complaints about the Volt modes. You can't use Sport and Mountain simultaneously, but really there's no reason you shouldn't be able to.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
i too was not aware with this but it is good that now i am with all the knowledge about how to boost the performance by utilizing it in a better way ..

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Scott

Selecting SPORT changes the delivered torque mapping at nearly all demand inputs and well as reduced levels of torque "pull-out" from various torque management tables.
Does anyone know any of the specifics of these "torque management tables".

Seems like these are the tables to go after if you want to "chip up" the Volt or Spark instead of the ICE tables.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Notice how the sport button is NOT located right next to the main power button?

Maybe Chevy got tired of hearing people complain about accidentally shutting the car off when reaching for the sport mode?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Does anyone know any of the specifics of these "torque management tables".

Seems like these are the tables to go after if you want to "chip up" the Volt or Spark instead of the ICE tables.
This is exactly correct George, and the reason why there has only been limited success in this regard by the various "hackers". Their bank of experience in cracking and decompiling the powertrain controls have been for the most part limited to the Engine and Transmission Control Modules (ECM & TCM) NOT Hybrid Powertrain Control Modules...

This review indicates/reads that SPORT mode in the Spark works the same as in the Volt.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085622_2014-chevrolet-spark-ev-first-drive-report/page-3
Well to the end-user the effect is of course identical. More torque being delivered. However the implementation with respect to the torque management and tables used is different as it's more than just "APP mapping"
WOT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts