GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Spark EV was stolen a few days ago. It has been recovered but they ran the battery all the way down. I wont have access to my car until this Tuesday at the earliest. I think the car is in good condition, just curious about the battery being run all the way down and being depleted like it is for several days. Trying to drive it when the battery was empty, will that cause any damage to the battery? Will there be any adverse effects for the battery system sitting empty for so long?

·
Registered
722 Posts
You cannot drain the battery below the safe minimum level set by GM, so there is not reason to worry.

Even if they drove until thee was no battery left to drive, there is actually still some left that you cannot use, which protects the battery by preventing its full discharge.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yea, i'd like to know how they took it, too.

·
Administrator
20,196 Posts
Left the car on and the car unlocked?
Left the key fob in an unlocked car?
Left the car with a parking attendant?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I'm pretty sure your battery will be just fine. Driving until it's completely "dead" is anticipated by GM and although the buffer isn't quite as much as the Volt battery system maintains, it's still sufficient to prevent severe damage. Also keep in mind this is likely a one time event that the vehicle has suffered. I would think it's no worse than running an ICE powered car out of gas. Once or twice is probably ok, but continuously doing so could cause the fuel pump to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Crazy story! Must be joy-riders since I doubt a chop shop has need for parts from a Spark EV.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Left the car on and the car unlocked?
Left the key fob in an unlocked car?
Left the car with a parking attendant?
In the last few years thieves are getting better. Keyless cars are often stolen by sniffing the unlock command from the fob. Once they have access they can use a dealer tool (available online) in the OBDII port to reprogram a new key to the car.

Or they can use a FOB signal range extender.

·
Registered
335 Posts
In the last few years thieves are getting better. Keyless cars are often stolen by sniffing the unlock command from the fob. Once they have access they can use a dealer tool (available online) in the OBDII port to reprogram a new key to the car.

Or they can use a FOB signal range extender.

FOB replay with key reprogram is possible, but go through all this trouble for a Spark EV?
Hopefully more details come out how the car got stolen. I suspect the POS thieves got a hold of a key...
Battery will be fine but I would not try recharging in cold place, like 32F or below.
My Spark sat for 1 year and only lost 15% of charge give or take.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was moving from Seattle to Portland. I had my vehicle shipped to my brother in law a few days before I moved down. My brother in law was careless with the keys and an acquaintance of his took the fob and went for a drive. He ran the battery dead, got towed to a Blink charge point, used my Blink card to charge up the car enough to get home where the cops were waiting for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts