·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The automatic pedestrian alert used on the 2014 Spark EV
The manual operation will sound very familiar to owners of the 2011 Volt

owner's manual said:
Pedestrian Friendly Alert
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic sound generation and a manual alert.

The automatic sound is generated to indicate the vehicle presence to pedestrians. The sound changes if the vehicle is speeding up or slowing down. It is activated when the vehicle is shifted into a forward gear or R (Reverse), and up to 30 km/h (19 mph).

An alert can also be sounded manually while driving at low speeds, such as in parking lots. Use this feature to alert people who may not hear your vehicle approaching.

To manually sound the Pedestrian Friendly Alert:

 1. Pull the turn signal lever all the way toward you momentarily. The high-beam headlamps and indicator light will turn on, and a soft-note alert will momentarily sound. When the turn signal lever is released, the high-beam headlamps and indicator light will turn off.
 2. Repeat for additional activations of the pedestrian friendly alert.
Note: The pedestrian alert is transmitted by a speaker as opposed to a traditional horn as used by the Volt, and the alert includes an embedded high frequency signal for guide dogs. The automatic pedestrian alert can be enabled/disabled in the driver personalization settings menu.

WOT

·
4,888 Posts
Why wouldn't they have used the 2012-2013 Volt option that has the pedestrian button?

Also, why does the Spark have the automatic sounds? None of the Volt model years have this, right?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also, why does the Spark have the automatic sounds? None of the Volt model years have this, right?
Most likely due to: http://www.nhtsa.gov/SampleSounds

2014 volt might start having it, for all we know.

Just what we need though, more noise pollution. That and/or people driving at 20+mph through parking lots to avoid it, without pulling fuses on it or whatever.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Ah...the nanny government has solution for non-problems...will there be an exterior backup alarm as well?

·
Registered
231 Posts
My wife's 2012 Prius v has a noise generator that makes a whirring noise and operates at speeds below 15 mph when the engine is not running. It is annoying and can be heard inside the car with the windows closed at times.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
There are no "pedestrian warning" laws here, so I can disable the automatic sound. I will use the manual alert when needed.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are no "pedestrian warning" laws here, so I can disable the automatic sound. I will use the manual alert when needed.
Raymond, the automatic alert can be disabled in the driver personalization settings. WOT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.