GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people with Volts are aware that IF the battery in their key FOB goes dead (resulting in the NO REMOTE DETECTED message when the POWER button pressed) the "fail-safe" procedure is to insert the key into the small slot present in the upper storage compartment.

The Spark is very similar, except that the "slot" to insert the key is located behind a small plastic cover in the steering column almost in the traditional ignition switch position

WARNING- the key IS NOT meant to be rotated, just inserted and the push button "POWER" button pressed

HTH
WOT

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Putting it in the traditional spot makes sense. Is this area used because the Spark has an ICE sister with an ignition switch there?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Putting it in the traditional spot makes sense. Is this area used because the Spark has an ICE sister with an ignition switch there?
I'm pretty sure that had something to do with it. ;)
WOT

·
Registered
521 Posts
Except you know people will continue the learned-behavior-replay and try to twist the fob to make the car start...
Hope it is sturdy. At least with the Volt there is no expectation of twisting.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Except you know people will continue the learned-behavior-replay and try to twist the fob to make the car start...
Hope it is sturdy. At least with the Volt there is no expectation of twisting.
Gosh this thing won't turn! I'll get a pliers for more leverage... :)

I'm sure this is covered in the owner's manual. Which of course some won't read and will then blame GM because it wasn't their fault they did not read the manual, lol. I wonder how long it will take before someone posts a complaint here about ruining their key?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Here are the exact instructions from pages 2-6 and 2-7 of the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Owner Manual (I have one):

If the transmitter battery is weak or there is interference with the signal, the DIC may display NO REMOTE DETECTED or PLACE KEY IN TRANSMITTER POCKET when you try to start the vehicle. The REPLACE BATTERY IN REMOTE KEY message may also display at this time.

To start the vehicle:

1. Remove the rubber cap on the steering column. (Note: There is an illustration on page 2-7 pointing to the cap location on the column)

2. Extend the key blade and place the blade into the slot.

3. With the vehicle in P (Park) or N (Neutral), press the brake pedal and the POWER button on the central stack. See Power Button on page 9-15

Replace the transmitter battery as soon as possible.

Oh, I wish I had my own 2014 Chevy Spark EV to take a picture of that cap and the key slot, then post it here! But until someone does try it, I believe that slot will not turn (unless it is forced).

On pages 2-4 and 2-5, there are two procedures to program the remote key transmitter, and both use the same cap removal and key insertion. There is an illustration on pages 2-5 and 2-6 pointing to the same cap location on the column.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Here are the exact instructions from pages 2-6 and 2-7 of the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Owner Manual
I would have added "Do not turn the key!", but that's me.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh, I wish I had my own 2014 Chevy Spark EV to take a picture of that cap and the key slot, then post it here! But until someone does try it, I believe that slot will not turn
FYI I posted an actual photo above in my original post...

I would have added "Do not turn the key!", but that's me.
Yea, it doesn't turn as there's nothing TO TURN! lol

·
Registered
921 Posts
Funny, both of the Spark EV's I sat in yesterday had that cover hanging loose. I popped it back on in the one I drove.

I was at the dealer getting my oil changed and had a few minutes to kill...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts