GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it just me or is this new trend of selling a car with not only no spare tire but also no place to even put one a bad idea?
I can't understand how any manufacturer can think it's ok to do this. If it's absolutely necessary due to weight savings of lack of room (design flaw) then sell the car with run flats already mounted.
You'd think someone somewhere upstairs at gm would have just a smidgen of common sense.
Blow outs happen and no amount of tire goop is going to get you down the road. AAA, last I checked on them it took an hour to help my buddy out in a populated area.
The extended range selling point is great, 400 miles without a fill up, but no spare to get you there if you blow one out while crossing the desert.
Rant over!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I agree, the thought of being stuck waiting for a tow truck to come and help is crazy. I carry a full size spare, jack and block of wood. With the daily headlines of car jacking, murder and robbery with broken down cars, it's hard to believe that my life is now at stake due to a simple flat tire.

When my friend had a flat, the tow truck ONLY came out to change a tire, not supply or take the car for a tire....how will that help in a Volt?

If society was getting better, nicer, friendlier - I could understand having people stranded for a few hours an inconvenience, but not these days.. Just read the news on any given day if you think I'm wrong....

·
Registered
125 Posts
So what are the options? Are others ordering a full spare and simply tossing it into the trunk?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've never had a blow out in over 30 years of driving. When I traded in each of my cars after driving them for ~10 years each and over 100,000 miles each, the spare tire was still new and unused.

I do miss having the custom jack each car had for tire rotations...

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Yes, they are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. More and more models are deleting them. Especially with electrified cars where range and efficiency is an important selling point. Automakers have been struggling to make the CAFE numbers and will shave weight were possible across their product lines to do that. It also saves them money. And most buyers don't seem to care, so it is a win for the auto makers.

I personally don't mind as long as I can add a spare myself. It is nice to have a storage space for it, which the Volt lacks. Lacking a storage compartment, I would at least like to see a way to anchor the spare for safety, which the Gen 2 has (bolt down). In Gen 1, you can use the cargo anchor points to tie it down. A compact spare in the cargo compartment takes up floor space, but the volume lost is not too bad. A full sized spare takes a more significant chunk of cargo volume. Jack and tools fit under the floor.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Short answer, yes, yes they are...They commonly still offered but only as dealer add ons...

Myself and two other Volt owners have had to wait over 3 hours for an OnStar deployed tow truck...I know you can put in the sealant and even the Bolt will offer OEM self sealing tires, while they'll fix the small punctures the majority of times, it does you no favors if you're in the minority...Even worse if you have no cell or On Star connection...Run flats were a good solution but are expensive, have more weight and rolling resistance and they have limitation mainly you can't go over 50mph nor over 50 miles...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Volt is exceptionally bad since they put lightweight efficiency tires on that have no sidewall strength, then people over inflate them to eek out a couple more MPG. Recipe for a blowout. I haven't had a blowout ever either, a couple slow leaks. I always have good condition tires too. Yes, it could still happen, but I do what I can to reduce the odds.

As for news and society, it is mostly for ratings. Things aren't getting worse, but if they find the bad news they can get better ratings. Violent crimes have fallen pretty steady since 1992, and are at half the rate today.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I thought the Gen2 had normal LRR tires, not the thin walled Assurance model?
Volt is exceptionally bad since they put lightweight efficiency tires on that have no sidewall strength, then people over inflate them to eek out a couple more MPG. Recipe for a blowout. I haven't had a blowout ever either, a couple slow leaks. I always have good condition tires too. Yes, it could still happen, but I do what I can to reduce the odds.

As for news and society, it is mostly for ratings. Things aren't getting worse, but if they find the bad news they can get better ratings. Violent crimes have fallen pretty steady since 1992, and are at half the rate today.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
So what are the options? Are others ordering a full spare and simply tossing it into the trunk?
I have a full-size spare that I carry in the trunk when I drive to San Francisco, about 45 miles one-way. Ihe tire does take up a lot of the space, and weighs about 44 pounds, but gives me peace of mine. On the other hand, I drove my LEAF to SF for 4 years, until I got the Volt, without a spare. So I have a split personality, but then again I live in Calif.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My first 2012 Volt, I got a flat within the first 2 weeks - it was a piece of hollow construction debris that I couldn't pull out and therefore couldn't use the gooflator. Had to get a flatbed using OnStar. Although OnStar was competent and free, a spare tire would have saved me about 4 hours of my life. I vote for spare tires.

·
Registered
488 Posts
You have the tire air pressure displayed right in front of you. If your tires have ample amount of tread they don't just "blow out". Worse case scenario would be a road debris puncture. You will see the pressure dropping slowly. Ample time to find a garage or tire store. I have not changed a tire on the road anywhere in 30 years. I have had plenty of slow leaks, usually with something like a drywall screw penetration. Keep a tire gage handy and buy a cheap air compressor. Maintain 40 psi and get new tires when they are getting thin.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I don't really fear blowouts with modern, quality tires in good condition. This does not include the OEM Goodyears. Nail punctures are all I have ever gotten since bias ply tires and re-treads went out.

I think run flats are overkill. Great in theory, but I don't want to pay more for a worse ride and less range. Plus it is my understanding that they are not repairable if you run them without pressure. You have to replace that one.

But I do like to have a spare just in case. Especially when out of town. Compact spare is enough and helps with weight and space and is easy to handle. Doubt I'll ever need it, but I also don't plan on needing my seatbelt either. I wear it, though.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I think run flats are overkill. Great in theory, but I don't want to pay more for a worse ride and less range. Plus it is my understanding that they are not repairable if you run them without pressure. You have to replace that one.
Are you speaking from your personal experience using run-flats or just hearsay!?:confused:

I only ask because I find the ride on the Driveguards > OEM Goodyears. The initial range hit I took going from the stock Goodyears well broken in at 40k miles to new DriveGuards was substantial but now a year and 10k miles later not so much. I also got a slow leak in one of the Driveguards after @6 months of use that Discount Tire was able to resolve although YMMV!;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have the tire air pressure displayed right in front of you. If your tires have ample amount of tread they don't just "blow out". Worse case scenario would be a road debris puncture. You will see the pressure dropping slowly. Ample time to find a garage or tire store. I have not changed a tire on the road anywhere in 30 years. I have had plenty of slow leaks, usually with something like a drywall screw penetration. Keep a tire gage handy and buy a cheap air compressor. Maintain 40 psi and get new tires when they are getting thin.
I commute 123 miles round trip a day. I work in The Port of Long Beach. In 11 years here and 400,000 miles on 2 cars I've had 9 blowouts. Many many many more slow leaks. But here in the ghetto by the sea there are chunks of debris on the road. Blowouts happen often.
In my vacation travels we've had 3 blowouts from debris. Either I'm unlucky and you're very lucky but either way, the option should be there.
Over the years my tire change times are between 4-9min.
Waiting for a flatbed to tow me out of crackhead city is not my idea of a good time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've done around 250,000 miles in my life, and not once had a flat or blowout on the side of the road. Maybe I'm just lucky like that. Like most, I don't have too much confidence in the tire goo stuff.

In terms of cost cutting measure -- I understand saving money/weight from the manufacturer's point of view. On top of that, Run-flat tires to most people are a luxury they don't feel like paying for if money is a bit tight. I had runflats on my Z06 (they came stock) and I'll be honest, I toasted them pretty quick on purpose because the handling was terrible.

When and if i get my volt (hoping within the next 30 days) I'd probably see about getting a mini sized spare and stashing it somewhere.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh how I miss this car. I always stayed with the run flats even though they were terrible performance tires. I can see it now. The wife and I making a weekend run to Vegas and cutting a tire. No spare and not a run flat. I'd might as well just walk out into the desert and never look back.
I'm actively searching for a very small spare, Jack and wrench that won't take up too much room in the volt.
What chaps my ass is that there is actually a spot for it under the storage cover. But some jackass figured it was a good idea to put a 12vlt battery right in the middle of it.

I've traded my need for speed from pavement to water.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh how I miss this car. I always stayed with the run flats even though they were terrible performance tires. I can see it now. The wife and I making a weekend run to Vegas and cutting a tire. No spare and not a run flat. I'd might as well just walk out into the desert and never look back.
I'm actively searching for a very small spare, Jack and wrench that won't take up too much room in the volt.
What chaps my ass is that there is actually a spot for it under the storage cover. But some jackass figured it was a good idea to put a 12vlt battery right in the middle of it.

I've traded my need for speed from pavement to water.

Mine was Velocity Yellow as well - bought mine in 08 -- sold it in 2013 to buy a house. Loved the car and it got looks wherever it went. I was a bit nervous out of warranty though with the whole valve issue, more than a few people having valves dropping into the motor and grenading it with GM being rather difficult in most instances. Had to do the grown up thing and sell to buy a house :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts