GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone that doesn't like the idea of not having a spare for long trips, I found a cheap solution:

A 1st Generation Cadillac CTS spare tire and an Impala jack from eBay.

The total cost was around $90 shipped from eBay, and I am sure I can re-eBay them when I sell the Volt for close to what I paid.

I don't believe an Impala spare would clear the front brake calipers. The CTS spare looks tailor made for the Volt's clearance.

The spare is extremely light weight and while being small in diameter, the car drove fine on my test drives and will have no problem getting you off the side of the road to a tire repair shop. The existing rubber trunk mat will keep the spare from sliding around with other luggage.

The jack is designed to hold securely on the pinch weld and the crow bar fits the lug nuts perfectly. Although I personally have to carry 5 of the original lug nuts because the lug nuts for my new rims are much smaller. And I have to carry the security key that you see in the pics with me.

I won't keep the spare in the trunk for around town driving since I don't mind a tow around town or asking a friend/relative to pick up my spare and bring it me, but I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for potentially hours to get a tow.

Having the spare on the car really makes me appreciate the size of my 18' rims. It looks strange with that tiny tire on there.

P1080756 (Medium).jpg P1080767 (Medium).JPG P1080755 (Medium).JPG P1080774 (Medium).jpg P1080752 (Medium).jpg

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

It looks like there may be a bunch of Cadillac 16x5 spares containing a 5x115 bolt pattern with "high offset" and a 70.3 center bore that would fit, based on these lug/offset charts: http://lugpattern.net/Cadillac_Bolt_Patterns.htm and http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Cadillac___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

It seems that the Eldorado 86-98 would be a full sized (16") spare, but they seem to be an extinct animal.

MODEL YEAR O.E. WHEEL SIZE
ALLANTE 87-93 15x6
CTS 03-UP 15x6
DEVILLE & DTS 93-UP 15x6
ELDORADO 86-98 16x7* The spare tire is a T125/70 R16 96m
ELDORADO 99-98 16x7 R15 spare
FLEETWOOD FWD 85-93 14x6
BROUGHAM FWD 85-UP 14x6
SEVILLE & STS 86-UP 14x6

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
After printing out all the possible GM candidates for a spare, I headed to one of the area auto salvage yards that has inventory segmented by manufacturer (GM on the left, others on the right). I found a Cadillac Deville (1998 I think). It had a like-new, steel rim donut-spare with a Firestone T125/70R16 tire. The rim is stamped B / 17D / K4 98 / RJF / USA. The spare and a jack were $10 each. Both work.

DSC02438.jpg DSC02441.jpg DSC02439.jpg DSC02442.jpg

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great price!

The jack is the same as mine.

Did you try the wheel on the front? I wonder if it will clear the caliper, which is a much different design than the rear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I assume that a Cruze donut spare won't work, or someone would have said so by now. Besides the option described here, is there any list of spares that fit and jacks that work? How about run-flats; has anyone installed them in place of the OEMs?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, that's a different bolt pattern. The Volt has more in common on the wheel side with the CTS than the Cruze.

Run flats in general stink for noise, ride, and weight. Many people, like me, remove them from the car when equiped.

I assume that a Cruze donut spare won't work, or someone would have said so by now. Besides the option described here, is there any list of spares that fit and jacks that work? How about run-flats; has anyone installed them in place of the OEMs?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Did you try the wheel on the front?
Huh, GREAT question!

I gave it a test. The caliper housing for the front tire does touch the inner rim surface of my spare, but does not appear to stop the spare from being mounted. Worst case, if I have a front flat I could move the rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear. I think the CTS spare is a better solution though.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My old 911 was that way from the factory. If you had a flat in the rear, you were suppose to replace it with a front tire and then mount the spare on the front.

It's a little extra effort, but you can get by doing it like you said with the spare you got.

Huh, GREAT question!

I gave it a test. The caliper housing for the front tire does touch the inner rim surface of my spare, but does not appear to stop the spare from being mounted. Worst case, if I have a front flat I could move the rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear. I think the CTS spare is a better solution though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see the 1st gen CTS spares still are available on eBay, but none with jacks. You mentioned an Impala jack. Is it the jack available from current model Impalas?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was like a 2003 Impala. Any of the GM jacks that look similar to the pics will work.

I see the 1st gen CTS spares still are available on eBay, but none with jacks. You mentioned an Impala jack. Is it the jack available from current model Impalas?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK, I'll look for a GM scissors jack that looks like the pics. Many seem to be available.

The 1st gen CTS spares currently on eBay all look like what @steverino bought; they're solid steel with circular perfs. The spare in @voltage692's pictures is an entirely different 5-spoke wheel. What's up?

I do want to get something since my wife is (overly) concerned about the lack of any spare and we expect our Volt within the month. I appreciate everyone's guidance on this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a question about the factory tires and wheels.
Are the tires multidirectional, meaning they can be mounted either way.
Also has any one notice the factory rims on each sides are facing opposite ways of the other side?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes,
Yes.

My Lotus Turbo Esprit had wheels that had the same wheel style for both sides so they were pointing in a different direction on the other side, so it's an endearing trait even though I replaced the stock Volt wheels.

I have a question about the factory tires and wheels.
Are the tires multidirectional, meaning they can be mounted either way.
Also has any one notice the factory rims on each sides are facing opposite ways of the other side?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would get one that looks like mine because it takes quite a bit to get around the big brake calipers in the front.

OK, I'll look for a GM scissors jack that looks like the pics. Many seem to be available.

The 1st gen CTS spares currently on eBay all look like what @steverino bought; they're solid steel with circular perfs. The spare in @voltage692's pictures is an entirely different 5-spoke wheel. What's up?

I do want to get something since my wife is (overly) concerned about the lack of any spare and we expect our Volt within the month. I appreciate everyone's guidance on this.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't tell a difference. Temperature is the only factor that I can tell a difference.

how does your aftermarket rims and tires affect your range?

·
4,851 Posts
For anyone that doesn't like the idea of not having a spare for long trips, I found a cheap solution:

A 1st Generation Cadillac CTS spare tire and an Impala jack from eBay.

Having the spare on the car really makes me appreciate the size of my 18' rims. It looks strange with that tiny tire on there.

View attachment 2256
Cool!

Did you put that nice shiny black wheel on your spare tire, or did it come like that? Also, what model years correspond to a first generation CTS?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Came like that.

Not completely sure of the year, but if you want one like it, just look through eBay until you see a CTS spare that looks just like it.

Cool!

Did you put that nice shiny black wheel on your spare tire, or did it come like that? Also, what model years correspond to a first generation CTS?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just bought one on eBay from seller mini-genie, AKA Pam's Auto. $75 shipped. Their item listing showed all the critical dimensions: bolt pattern, bore size, and offset. Looks like it'll fit fine on the Volt with plenty of clearance as @voltage692 says. After some research I concluded that all the 03 - 08 CTSs had the same spare size. However, some of the spares are solid steel disks rather than the 5-spoke version.

I'll let you know how things work when I get the wheel and get my Volt (soon, I hope).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts