GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a few good Volt projects posted here that I really appreciated. My spare tire project seemed to work out fairly well, so I am going to post some of details from this project to give back a little to the forum.

I purchased one of the spare tire kits listed on ebay for around $225. From what I can tell the tire I purchased is one of the Cadillac spares that is referred to in Steverino's spare tire guide (https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48058-Volt-Spare-Tire-Guide). Mine has a scissor jack, and tire tool which doubles as a lug wrench and the scissor jack handle. I also purchased a cheap lightweight tire cover from Walmart for $10-15 that can clearly been seen in the pictures.

There were some warnings in Steverino's spare tire thread that the wrong spare might not clear the front wheel calipers so I installed it on the front wheel to verify that it would work there.

The first picture shows the tie down points I used for the tire (see where the red arrows are pointing to). I will show some details on these tie down points that I think worked out fairly well, and one trick that also helped the rear hatch close.

As you can see I went with a vertical placement of the spare. I tried laying the tire flat in the back, but I didn't like how it looked, and I didn't like stacking stuff on top of it.

Tie down points:

spare-tire1.jpg

Inserted a piece of foam that allows the hatch to close:

spare-tire2.jpg

Tie down point on the rear bumper side of the Volt:

View attachment 155129

Tie down point on the back of the seat:

spare-tire4.jpg

Tie down point - This tie down point is really strong, it keeps the back seat from falling forward:

spare-tire5.jpg

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Spare tire project continued:

Velcro Strap Tie down, hidden behind the wheel when it is rotated in place:

spare-tire6.jpg

You can see from the picture above that this tire has the foam insert which holds the scissor jack inside the tire.
With the one velcro tie down it is a bit of a chore to get into the compartment under that rear hatch floor board, but I think it looks pretty good and is solid in that the tire doesn't move around or make noise. For me the vertical placement of the tire is a space saver. I have been using this for over 6 months without any issues.

·
Administrator
20,332 Posts
Bungie cords need to be replaced with ratchet straps. Think car crash. Bungie cords will not restrain the wheel.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
and I can not tell how much road hump bounce could push tire into the hatch back with vertical mounting.

I have mine flat -with ratchet straps 4 points for town driving -back seats are down and back seats up with extra holding for out of town trips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been driving with exact same vertical set up for past two years. Though instead of rubber cords, I use actual rope to tie it down. I had to deflate my spare just a tad to ensure that it allows the hatch to close. There is no vertical bounce as the tire gets squeezed a bit between the glass and the floor. The tire cover is a nice touch. I've wrapped mine in a black garbage bag :) but this looks so much batter. The only downside of this set up is that we can no longer use the cover net that hides the contents of your trunk.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't know, but I am guessing I could pull with about all my strength and that velcro strap located at the bottom of the tire would hold.
Regular "road hump bounce" will not break this free.
In my opinion it would have to be in some sort of roll over event for that to have a chance to happen.
Or maybe if T-boned at super high speeds from exactly the right direction off the passenger side of the car.

I keep my back seats up mostly, and that tire would be hard pressed to get out of that tight space if it did break loose. We also have a metal dog cage barrier behind the front seats. Admittedly this is not as good as ratchet straps. I will give ratchet straps a little thought, if done right I think they could still fit into this scheme. For the most part we are mindful of packing things, and strapping them down when we travel, and have not had a problem with things flying around the cab thus far. In our other vehicles we often have a metal dog barrier up to hold things into the space, and always pack so that heavy items on the bottom, progressively lighter as you go up, and not to exceed seat heights unless it is something like a soft pillow.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I like this idea. I purchased the GM spare tire kit, which comes with a strap.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
For our 2016 Volt Premier I purchased the spare tire kit from ebay.com for $170.00 delivered. . It appears to be a genuine Chevrolet GM product. We keep the tire behind the drivers seat, which still can be adjusted to fit my 5' 10 inch frame in comfort. The tire is secure and has no chance of breaking loose in a crash. In the event we need to use the back seat for two passengers we can easily remove the tire as well and place in the back hatch or just leave in the garage for any short trips.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-2018-...e+tire+kit&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
We keep the tire behind the drivers seat, ... The tire is secure and has no chance of breaking loose in a crash.
Interesting idea, behind the back seat. That might be an alternative for a long trip if we need more space in the rear hatch area.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Interesting idea, behind the back seat. That might be an alternative for a long trip if we need more space in the rear hatch area.
With the tire behind the drivers seat you can also remove the two rear headrest for more room as well, which we have done for max. storage for camping trips etc.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Those tie down points are not going to stop the tire flying through the windshield (and taking any person's head with it in the event of a highway speed collision). Not sure what the air bag would contribute in that, possibly act as an anvil for the inevitable squish.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Mine is currently behind the passenger seat. Behind the driver's seat is a first aid kit and a 40 ft 12 guage 3 wire all weather extension cord. When I need to charge while I'm out I put my EVSE there as well. I am going to try to see if I can secure it with the strap like OP did.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those tie down points are not going to stop the tire flying through the windshield (and taking any person's head with it in the event of a highway speed collision). Not sure what the air bag would contribute in that, possibly act as an anvil for the inevitable squish.
Hopefully your loose dog, notebook computer, cooler, metal drink thermos shaped like a bullet, camera, assorted luggage, spare tools, etc ... don't do the same.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Hopefully your loose dog, notebook computer, cooler, metal drink thermos shaped like a bullet, camera, assorted luggage, spare tools, etc ... don't do the same.
You and FI Spyder make me want to wear a kevlar helmet when I do my road trips.:eek::p

AAA (flat bed) is my standby spare tire. And, yeah, there are large parts of the country lacking cell phone signal....I'm a risk-taker. Worse comes to worse, I'll drive slowly on my flat tire and ruin it and possibly my wheel until I get to civilization again. That's my trade-off for not risking the danger of carrying a spare tire in a spot not designed for one.

As for the flying missiles, I keep most loose items in the front passenger's seat or in the cup holder by my arm.

I use the Volt "loin cloth" cover when road tripping, as opposed to my Voltshelf which could possibly act as a guillotine during a high-speed crash, IMHO. My Voltshelf is used during local driving, which is most of the time.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Don't have a dog, travel with cat sometimes (much lighter and soft), Computer, camera etc. sit on the floor, spare tools below cargo area. Cooler, luggage is soft and lighter therefore not near as much inertia. Cat litter would make a mess though.:p

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You and FI Spyder make me want to wear a kevlar helmet when I do my road trips.:eek::p
That brings a vision of the inside of your Volt to mind with tie downs and cargo nets everywhere. Might look like something in a Spiderman movie after Spiderman zapped the inside of your car with webbing :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Didn't someone on here actually mount the spare tire the way it was supposed to be done (e.g. using the mounting screen and holes provided by GM? I remember seeing pics and a walkthrough a while back. The only downside was the tire had to lay flat and took up quite a bit of room in the cargo area.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Didn't someone on here actually mount the spare tire the way it was supposed to be done (e.g. using the mounting screen and holes provided by GM? I remember seeing pics and a walkthrough a while back. The only downside was the tire had to lay flat and took up quite a bit of room in the cargo area.
It doesn't take up that much space.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
It doesn't take up that much space.
If I owned a Gen2 with the hold-down engineered by GM, I probably would buy and store a spare tire in its proper location. But, I have a Gen1, so, it's AAA flatbed as my spare tire.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Project Update:

Upgraded the tie down strap with a ratchet strap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts