GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who want to carry a spare tire on long trips in case they get an unfixable flat, or who simply don't want to wait for a tow truck, here's an idea for mounting the spare to the cargo deck using off-the self hardware. It would require a hole be drilled in the rear cargo deck, one that could be plugged when not in use.

In addition to bolting the spare to the deck, it should be strapped to the 4 hold-downs as well. I think a ratchet type webbed strap should be used, not bungee cords.

In addition, some tools would need to be stowed in the cargo storage compartment under the deck.

Bolt-Down Spare Tire on Cargo Deck
Spare-Tire-Mount.jpg
In addition to strapping down the spare, bolting it to the cargo deck will give it some added immobility. Belt and suspenders! :) You can find spare tire mounting parts at the auto salvage yard, or here's one online http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-spare-tire-mounting-kit-1964-1965/p/STMK1/ Other than the centering plate (which you can get at the auto salvage or a chevy parts dept), all the hardware is available at Home Depot.

The square-holed torque washer for a carriage bolt, as well as a fender washer, nut, and 3.5"-4" long carriage bolt can be found at Home Depot, etc.

When you don't need the tire mounted, simply unscrew the carriage bolt and remove it. Plug the hole if you want with a black plastic bumper/body panel retainer found at Autozone or GM parts departments. See http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-retainer/_/N-25nw?itemIdentifier=224745_0_0_
Body Panel Retainer.jpg
These are removable by prying between the two plates with a screwdriver. Get the size that fits the hole of course.

Tools & Supplies Under the Cargo Hatch
Volt-Spare-Tire,-Tire-Repair-Supplies-(laid-out).jpg Volt-Spare-Tire,-Tire-Repair-Supplies-(cargo-area).jpg
For long trips, the scissors jack, lug wrench, and wheel chocks will fit under the cargo hatch (where the air compressor, portable EVSE are stored). Keep a small plastic tarp to kneel on as well. The fold down chocks are available at Harbor Freight, auto store and online. Tire plug kits are at Walmart, auto stores, online. Scissors jack at auto salvage yards (~$10), and the sockets, etc. at Harbor Freight, auto store and online. I used a short length of PVC pipe for the helper. You can use 8" long water pipe as well (Home Depot).

Strapping
Spare-Tire-Strapped.jpg
There are 4 "D" rings mounted in the cargo area that can be used to strap down (criss-cross) the space saver tire with 1" industrial grade webbing ratchet straps. (400 lb working load limit). Ratchet straps are available at Home Depot and elsewhere.

Mount It Vertically
From SolarVoltOK:
"With just a little cutting of the rear cargo area floor cover, a spare can be mounted upright and held in place using existing cargo mounts. I use the portable charger at home, so it’s rarely in the car, and even if it is with me, I’m not going to take the time to manage it well enough to get it into its special bay. That leaves a nice bit of space that I thought could be used to fit the spare tire. Bingo! I cut 6.5” off of the driver’s side floor cover, and the tire slides right down in, and is bungeed to the side. Use a circular saw to cut the board, and a razor blade to cut the cloth hinge part at the front. I used a bungee cord with S-hook on one end, and a bit of rope on the other. The hook goes on the round mushroom-like cargo hold, and the bungee cord stretches over, and the rope hooks into the recessed cargo hold down.

I cut as little as possible, which means I have to either remove the spare or really wrangle it around the rim, which sticks out ~1” over the floor area. You could cut out more, or use a steel wheel, which may not give you that problem. I saved the cut off piece, and it sits behind the wheel. If I take the spare out of the car for some reason, it just lays back in that spot.

I’ll add a spare tire cover, and bam!"
see http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...-of-spare-in-Gen1-Volt.&p=4231897#post4231897

Spare Tire & Run Flat Guide
For those looking for spare tire or run flat options, see http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48058-Volt-Spare-Tire-Guide

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
What if you can fix the flat instead?

Most tire plug kits seem consist of a sticky length of rubber that you thread through a large T handle needle. After removing the nail/screw you ream the hole and plunge plunge the rubber plug into the puncture. One thing I picked up watching the videos below: you probably need some rubber cement "lube" for the smaller holes!

Once at the tire repair shop, your plug can be removed the the tire repared with plug and patch:

A cool kit you can probably make:

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
I'm opting for run-flats, but for those choosing this route all that gear needs to be secured, consider the consequences of a crash with all that loose gear in your hatch.

Thanks for posting this valuable info.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm opting for run-flats, but for those choosing this route all that gear needs to be secured, consider the consequences of a crash with all that loose gear in your hatch.

Thanks for posting this valuable info.
I agree, I would hope no one keeps the tools and supplies loose in the cargo area. If it were me, I would instead keep the gear under the rigid cargo deck in the storage compartment bins as shown. That's where the EVSE and air compressor, tow-eye bolt (Ampera), and optional emergency kit are stored.

Of course, the spare is strapped down on top the cargo deck.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For my CMax, I got a matching cover that are used to protect RV or trailer wheels from the sun when not in use.

Got it on Amazon. http://amzn.com/B0015Y9358

·
Registered
270 Posts
My "travel kit"
Held down with ratchet straps in the rear.
Extension cord and L1 charger nest perfectly in the caddy spare.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Can I post a "how so." Question on here about an actual flat?

How can you get a scissor jack under the front of the car to change a front flat tire?
The car sits so low, I don't see how you can get a jack under it. If you do jam the jack under the car, the leverage on the jack, in a flat position, has so little lifting force it may just bend or fail..

I'd really like to see a Volt with front end flat tire being jacked up with a scissor jack.

In short, I carry two small wood planks to drive flat tire onto before I can scissor lift car....

Anyone ever actually change a flat front tire themselves?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can I post a "how so." Question on here about an actual flat?

How can you get a scissor jack under the front of the car to change a front flat tire?
The car sits so low, I don't see how you can get a jack under it. If you do jam the jack under the car, the leverage on the jack, in a flat position, has so little lifting force it may just bend or fail..

I'd really like to see a Volt with front end flat tire being jacked up with a scissor jack.

In short, I carry two small wood planks to drive flat tire onto before I can scissor lift car....

Anyone ever actually change a flat front tire themselves?
Haven't changed a flat, but I measured and determined the ONLY jack that will fit is a scissor jack. The one you want fits Luminas Grand Ams and a bunch of others, but it's easily identified by the offset pads. Looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-1995-S...ash=item2ee77724fd:g:3WkAAOSwm8VUtFe9&vxp=mtr
The picture in the spare tire guide is the correct one, but the picture angle doesn't really show the offset pads very well. These jacks will go low enough and fit around the pinch weld in an adequate way. Not perfect, but they work. I saw one post where somebody made an adapter, but I'm OK using this type of jack the way it is.

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know everything I'm about to type is wrong...
But a few cars ago I had a Subaru Legacy that was lowered quite a bit...loved that car.
I got a flat once on the passenger front and couldn't get the jack under the frame. So I let the air out of the driver rear and got some teeter-totter action going. It worked!

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those who want to carry a spare tire on long trips in case they get an unfixable flat, or who simply don't want to wait for a tow truck, here's an idea for mounting the spare to the cargo deck using off-the self hardware. It would require a hole be drilled in the rear cargo deck, one that could be plugged when not in use.

In addition to bolting the spare to the deck, it should be strapped to the 4 hold-downs as well. I think a ratchet type webbed strap should be used, not bungee cords.

In addition, some tools would need to be stowed in the cargo storage compartment under the deck.

Bolt-Down Spare Tire on Cargo Deck
View attachment 52698
In addition to strapping down the spare, bolting it to the cargo deck will give it some added immobility. Belt and suspenders! :) You can find spare tire mounting parts at the auto salvage yard, or here's one online Scott Drake Spare Tire Mounting Kit 1964-1965 Other than the centering plate (which you can get at the auto salvage or a chevy parts dept), all the hardware is available at Home Depot.

The square-holed torque washer for a carriage bolt, as well as a fender washer, nut, and 3.5"-4" long carriage bolt can be found at Home Depot, etc.

When you don't need the tire mounted, simply unscrew the carriage bolt and remove it. Plug the hole if you want with a black plastic bumper/body panel retainer found at Autozone or GM parts departments. See http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-retainer/_/N-25nw?itemIdentifier=224745_0_0_
View attachment 52634
These are removable by prying between the two plates with a screwdriver. Get the size that fits the hole of course.

Tools & Supplies Under the Cargo Hatch
View attachment 52594 View attachment 52602
For long trips, the scissors jack, lug wrench, and wheel chocks will fit under the cargo hatch (where the air compressor, portable EVSE are stored). Keep a small plastic tarp to kneel on as well. The fold down chocks are available at Harbor Freight, auto store and online. Tire plug kits are at Walmart, auto stores, online. Scissors jack at auto salvage yards (~$10), and the sockets, etc. at Harbor Freight, auto store and online. I used a short length of PVC pipe for the helper. You can use 8" long water pipe as well (Home Depot).

Strapping
View attachment 52618
There are 4 "D" rings mounted in the cargo area that can be used to strap down (criss-cross) the space saver tire with 1" industrial grade webbing ratchet straps. (400 lb working load limit). Ratchet straps are available at Home Depot and elsewhere.

Mount It Vertically
From SolarVoltOK:
"With just a little cutting of the rear cargo area floor cover, a spare can be mounted upright and held in place using existing cargo mounts. I use the portable charger at home, so it’s rarely in the car, and even if it is with me, I’m not going to take the time to manage it well enough to get it into its special bay. That leaves a nice bit of space that I thought could be used to fit the spare tire. Bingo! I cut 6.5” off of the driver’s side floor cover, and the tire slides right down in, and is bungeed to the side. Use a circular saw to cut the board, and a razor blade to cut the cloth hinge part at the front. I used a bungee cord with S-hook on one end, and a bit of rope on the other. The hook goes on the round mushroom-like cargo hold, and the bungee cord stretches over, and the rope hooks into the recessed cargo hold down.

I cut as little as possible, which means I have to either remove the spare or really wrangle it around the rim, which sticks out ~1” over the floor area. You could cut out more, or use a steel wheel, which may not give you that problem. I saved the cut off piece, and it sits behind the wheel. If I take the spare out of the car for some reason, it just lays back in that spot.

I’ll add a spare tire cover, and bam!"
see Easy vertical mounting of spare in Gen1 Volt.

Spare Tire & Run Flat Guide
For those looking for spare tire or run flat options, see Volt Spare Tire Guide
what are the specs for the spare tire?

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts