GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM will finish all Volt warranties in 2027, wondering if spare parts will still be available thereafter as GM will be no longer liable to provide repair services. I know there are always aftermarket parts, my concern is that the Volt's EV system is unique to GM, there may be some EV parts unique to GM that is not available in the aftermarket. If this happens, Volt owners could have no parts to repair their cars and be left no choice but scrapping the cars.

is my concern legit? or I just worry too much?

·
Registered
171 Posts
GM will finish all Volt warranties in 2027, wondering if spare parts will still be available thereafter as GM will be no longer liable to provide repair services. I know there are always aftermarket parts, my concern is that the Volt's EV system is unique to GM, there may be some EV parts unique to GM that is not available in the aftermarket. If this happens, Volt owners could have no parts to repair their cars and be left no choice but scrapping the cars.

Well I own a 1985 Vanagon, and besides an oil change or coolant/tranny flush, they will not work on my van at all. GM does do well supporting older vehicles, better than most. I mean in you can get parts for a 59 Bel Air or a 69 Vette from my local dealer. Volt might encounter some shortages no doubt, but the engine is shared with other cars mechanically. Guess we will see.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well I own a 1985 Vanagon, and besides an oil change or coolant/tranny flush, they will not work on my van at all. GM does do well supporting older vehicles, better than most. I mean in you can get parts for a 59 Bel Air or a 69 Vette from my local dealer. Volt might encounter some shortages no doubt, but the engine is shared with other cars mechanically. Guess we will see.
I think most concerns are centered on the electrical side of the Volt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think most concerns are centered on the electrical side of the Volt.
Electrically, well Volt shares many parts too. But I agree various BCM's, modules, inverters and stock of replacement batteries will be needed. At the same time, when I had a 2002 Prius 7 years ago, Toyota stopped selling the 12V batteries which are a properietary size and rating. Had to wait 5 months during which my Prius was nothing more that 1.5 tons of useless steel and rubber. So I share concerns too, but GM support for older cars is far far better than Toyota and VW.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Niche cars will have a niche after-warranty parts supply. Ebay and auto salvage yards will be the suppliers of last resort. Then the car will be scrapped.

Reactions: Barry T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electrically, well Volt shares many parts too. But I agree various BCM's, modules, inverters and stock of replacement batteries will be needed. At the same time, when I had a 2002 Prius 7 years ago, Toyota stopped selling the 12V batteries which are a properietary size and rating. Had to wait 5 months during which my Prius was nothing more that 1.5 tons of useless steel and rubber. So I share concerns too, but GM support for older cars is far far better than Toyota and VW.

That's what I concern the most. If GM stops making the proprietary electrical components for Volt, I will not take the risk of buying an used one as it can be short life. GM should come up to clarify their future plan or allow aftermarket component makers to product their proprietary parts.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Which other vehicles share the "Voltec" electrical parts with the Volt?

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's what I concern the most. If GM stops making the proprietary electrical components for Volt, I will not take the risk of buying an used one as it can be short life. GM should come up to clarify their future plan or allow aftermarket component makers to product their proprietary parts.
This is a fantastic idea. Me, I won't be keeping my Volt outside the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
132 Posts

A number of warranties, related to emissions components, extend beyond 8 years. And in California, at least in theory, the battery warranty is legally required to be 10 years (though it doesn't seem to be in practice, which is odd). Still, point taken

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
568 Posts
I think the first problem to rear it's head will be obtaining service from a tech. The dealership I use has 1 Volt tech. What happens when that tech quits, etc.? Over time, one could find themselves hunting over longer distances to locate a dealership with a certified Volt tech. If I keep it beyond next year after the warranty expires, I've been thinking 7 years may be my limit risk wise. I'd like to keep it longer with a lot more miles as I've done with other cars, however that decision probably isn't practical.

Reactions: volty25 and Barry T
1 - 11 of 11 Posts