GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a constant power source for something in the car, see my other comments in the "Onstar replacement" thread for details.

I haven't yet poked around under the drivers side dash on either of our Volts, and honestly don't really want to given the current weather and such, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any info beforehand as I'm sure others have - has anyone found a source of constant 12V power under the dash anywhere easily accessible on a Gen1 that I could tap into? I only need a few hundred milliwatts, so I don't need a big circuit. In the past on other vehicles I've used the 12v pin on the OBD port for a low draw 12V source, but I'm fairly sure that the power at the OBD port on the Volt is turned off after a period of time?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Power to OBD port is always-on.
If I leave my adapter plugged in, the LED is always lit (it doesn't have an off switch).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, awesome.

I honestly hadn’t paid attention to my MX obd module after the car had sat for a while and seen if it went to sleep.

Then again, seeing as how I am using an MX OBD module to interface with the car via the MyVoltStar app sometimes many hours after I’ve parked the car, logic should have dictated to me that there was still power there to run the MX to begin with.

Chock this up to a “duh” moment. ;)

I’ll just tap 12v off the OBD port then, problem solved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts