GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In part 2 of Leftlane's interview with Bob Lutz has says:

"Another neat feature we will have because the vehicle is OnStar-equipped, is it will have logic in its brain that knows how far away from home it is because it’s used to being charged at a certain place. If you have taken a circuitous route home and are running low on battery, the computer knows “wait a minute, the guy is only 10 miles from home, no point giving him a full charge. I’ll just run the piston engine enough to give him a ten-mile charge because he’s going want to plug in at home. There are a million things like that that need to be written into the software code, and it all needs to work together seamlessly with no bugs."

I take this comment to indicate that the Volt will likely not have an onboard, DVD based navigation and screen set-up. Like most GM vehicle it seems like they are sticking with the On-Star system.

I would much prefer a nav screen and seeing how the Volt will likely be a high priced, high tech machine a nav screen is something that many customers will/would expect to see.

I'm not fond of the relationship between GM and On-Star and how GM is staying away from nav systems because they likely wouldn't be able to push On-Star onto the customers because of the competing system.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lutz-interview-part-2-no-diesels-volt-future.html

·
Registered
200 Posts
OnStar is a GM brand

They'll call any nav- or comm-oriented feature OnStar, I'm pretty sure. The Escalade, for example, has OnStar and available touch-screen nav. One of the directors at my company has nav in his. They could offer the screen as an upgrade, regular OnStar voice-based nav standard.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It sounds like a real stretch of the imagination to say that the Volt won't have a navigation system at least available. GM does offer them in a number of their cars, trucks and SUV's either with or without On-Star. I know for a fact that you can buy a '08 Corvette with both the navigation system AND On-Star in it.

All of this being said, I would choose to have neither of them in my Volt. I don't want to pay the monthly subscription for On-Star and I don't need a navigation system. Why? Well, I own a cell phone and can use that to call for help if I need it, I own maps and know how to use them, and I married someone to nag at me while I'm driving, so I certainly don't need a computer to suppliment "that" system.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess we'll have to wait until more specs come out. I typically would have no need for a nav system, except when travelling and trying to navigate new cities, and also would not pay for OnStar.

I would think that GM would offer a nav system because they need to make this car attractive to consumers. In terms of other hybrid vehicles available most have nav (Prius, Camry, Highlander, Lexus models) so it would be tough for the Volt to compete. Albeit the Volt will be offering a different driving dynamic as compared to the other hybrids but for some buyers nav could be a dealer breaker.

However, GM has been slow to offer nav and are falling behind the competition in all segment classes. The new Malibu, G8, Impala and Buicks are all good examples of cars that should have nav but don't.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
OnStar is a non-starter for me. Like others, I don't want to get stuck with the monthly subscription fee. Even if they offer the first year for free, I don't want to have to look at the OnStar buttons and be reminded of the monthly fee to come. And, once the free trial ends, I most certainly don't want to have to look at the nonfunctional OnStar buttons.

If given the choice, I will pay hundreds of dollars at once to avoid a monthly nagger fee.

Edit: And. . . if I don't want to pay for the OnStar, does that mean my Volt won't have the fancy positional charge management feature? That would really irk me - possibly enough to buy something else. I really hate it when companies come up with a strategy that seems designed to maximize the amount of money they can extract from me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My past two lexus vehicles have have factory NAV but I hate it. I prefer the Garmin system. Lexus and most other systems will not allow you to use the system while the car is moving, I understand that GM has the same limitations. I just moved from NY to SC last year so the in dash comes in handy if I make a wrong turn and get lost and need to get home. But for long distance trips I put the Garmin 7500 on the dashboard because besides it letting me access information on the move it has many more features than Lexus. I really don't care about the NAV because I will continue to use my Garmin

·
Registered
288 Posts
HUD is fine for simple numbers like speed, water temp etc but it would be difficult to display details on a map
Agreed. I had hud on my C5 and it was only a single color (blue) and the level of detail was way too coarse to display a map.

However, instead of a map, it could display things like flashing arrows, textual prompts, etc to give you directions without having to take your eyes off the road or have your music constantly interrupted. It could display the name of the street you're on or the street you are about to cross. Etc...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If the Volt doesn't come with at least an optional moving map nav display, they will take a beating in the automotive press. Rightfully so. If you are going to try to show the world the car of the future, you need to include the by now pretty standard options. Voice commands from OnStar don't cut it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If the Volt doesn't come with at least an optional moving map nav display, they will take a beating in the automotive press. Rightfully so. .
I would have to agree. I hate the thought of having to stick a GPS system on the dash after spending that much on this car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GM needs to go to on-Star 2.0 The current system needs help but has some features that are terrific. I have used on star to re-boot an ECU in my Dad's car after we changed a compeletley dead battery. It would not run right and the fly by wire throttle was not working correctly. Push a button and 5 minutes later they re boot and i just avoided going to the dealer. Use that once and you will want it in all your future cars. On-Star 2.0 should also have Navigation, blue tooth, Rear view camera, all the prius type screens-but done better, and trouble codes with an explanation. Maybe an OBD III. They were smack talking about how GM can beat the hybrid game, I hope they prove it with this car. However to do that, they will need to swing for the fences and hit a home run the first time. I see they are asking for government loans on the news section. I would give them one if I were the government. But this is another thread topic...

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
The Volt's DVD based navigation system integrates with the GPS positioning and digital cellular communication that are PART of the Onstar system. If you choose to opt out of the On-Star after the initial enrollment period you will be only be sacrificing certain subscription specific functionality (automatic crash response, live diagnostics, turn-by-turn voice guidance, hand's free calling etc) but you will still have GPS and the basic navigation system (i.e. moving map) will still function as it's not subscription dependant.

I guess AAA and other auto-clubs are cheaper but they can't notify first responders and potentially save lives in the event of an accident,
they just tow away the wreck for free...
WopOnTour

·
Registered
105 Posts
WopOnTour, where did you see the Volt will have DVD based navi? I was just looking to confirm this myself. I don't even see where you can get a LCD map navi in the Malibu! I can't believe this! This is a 2009 model and an otherwise compelling car! I've had a factory installed LCD navi in my '99 Acura TL for 9.5 years. I WILL NOT buy another car without it....and I am not subscribing to that OnStar BS..........GM better get with it.....no LCD navi, so sale.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
WopOnTour, where did you see the Volt will have DVD based navi? I was just looking to confirm this myself. I don't even see where you can get a LCD map navi in the Malibu! I can't believe this! This is a 2009 model and an otherwise compelling car! I've had a factory installed LCD navi in my '99 Acura TL for 9.5 years. I WILL NOT buy another car without it....and I am not subscribing to that OnStar BS..........GM better get with it.....no LCD navi, so sale.
You don't have to take MY word for it.If you wanted GM confirmation that the Volt WILL in fact have a DVD and LCD based navigation system as an optional feature- you can find it mentioned about 1/2 way down the GM press release from last month's reveal.

WopOnTour

1 - 18 of 18 Posts