GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm having issues with the melt sheets under the roof falling off. It's not quite as bad as the 1970's and 1980's GM, but this is becoming problematic with multiple failures.

For a while, I've had something sliding around under the headliner. Then it got worse. I finally was able to take the headliner down today and found one melt sheet over the driver's seat detached and another over the passenger side rear seat had also fallen. It's been over 100F here in Texas and it appears that when the roof gets hot, the adhesive weakens and gravity pulls the sheets down. I'm 15K out of warranty, so I guess I'll just live without them. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Possibly blame that Texas sun. Does your Volt spend a lot of time parked outside during the summer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's very odd. Is the supplier known? I've never had this problem in any GM car I've owned 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or later, 108 F full sun, 90% humidity, 16% humidity, -28 F etc. I've got a sagging headliner in my 245k mi `89 Buick though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Volt spends most of it's time in our garage or under covered parking. Road trips and the occasional store parking lot are about the only time is goes unexposed. The color is the dark Ashen Gray, so it does take on a bit more heat than white might. Yet, even with the intense Texas sun, I would have hoped GM would have considered a better adhesive.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
No sign of this in my 2011 MY. The only wear issue I have is the rubber strip on the driver's side. It's torn, likely because of rubbing when getting into and out of the car. Other than that zip.

Sometimes a car in a garage can get hotter than when sitting in the sun. Heat and adhesives don't mix that well.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
There were two reports of this happening in Gen 1 cars. Perhaps the surface was not prepped properly or the pads were not applied with enough pressure.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Replace them with Second Skin Damplifier. It sticks much better than any asphalt-based panel deadener and is easy to work with. I removed my interior and covered all panels with it. http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm having issues with the melt sheets under the roof falling off. It's not quite as bad as the 1970's and 1980's GM, but this is becoming problematic with multiple failures.

For a while, I've had something sliding around under the headliner. Then it got worse. I finally was able to take the headliner down today and found one melt sheet over the driver's seat detached and another over the passenger side rear seat had also fallen. It's been over 100F here in Texas and it appears that when the roof gets hot, the adhesive weakens and gravity pulls the sheets down. I'm 15K out of warranty, so I guess I'll just live without them. Anyone else having this problem?
How is this "problematic with multiple failures"? This sounds like a rare occurrence.

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
How is this "problematic with multiple failures"? This sounds like a rare occurrence.
Perhaps the OP was simply referring to his two unstuck pads as "multiple". On the other hand, some people tend to see two or three posts here as evidence of a fleet-wide problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same problem here....one of those things came loose in my car.
I live in The Netherlands and it does not get so warm here.
Was hearing strange noises when going through sharp corners....and found one of those loose panels

1 - 12 of 12 Posts