GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A blog post about how some people think Bolts should never local charge (the jabronis) because they are "long range" and shouldn't even need to charge at local public stations. Volt owners should be well aware of this sentiment, as there is an EV segment that believes Volts aren't even electric cars and should never use public charging stations because they have a gas backup. :rolleyes:

https://bro05.blogspot.com/2017/08/sorry-your-car-has-too-much-range-to.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
In my opinion, charging stations are first come first served. Now I'm not a savage either, and if I'm in a situation where we pull up to the outlet at the same time, or as I'm walking away I notice a Leaf pull up next to me, I would go back and offer it to the Leaf owner, but otherwise, first come first serve duke. If you need a charge that bad you're going to have to wait it out.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I guess that makes all Tesla owners EVholes also...

·
Registered
902 Posts
The problem is not the owners of all-electric or hybrid plug-in electric vehicles. The problem is the shortage of charging stations. If I charged at Whole Foods, I would need to drive 8 miles down to a charging station and 8 miles back, eliminating the net charge advantage. Since I live in a community where charging electric vehicles from standard outlets is illegal, I have no charging option aside from the single charging station for the community. The all-electric vehicles often remain overnight to charge their vehicles, while I only need two hours of charge per day for my commute. The problem is inadequate charging stations for the population, which would be one charging station per two hundred residents as long as electric vehicle owners constitute one percent of all vehicle owners. Since the number of residents and visitors to my community is about five thousand vehicles, there should be twenty-five charging stations in my community instead of only one.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Until EV charging stations are as prevalent as gas stations I suspect there will always be some sort of pecking order friction as on display here.

Seems EV owners can't even play nice and we expect ICE folks to behave.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
EV drivers tend to be more pretentious if not self righteous than most drivers. Heck i remember when some Prius drivers thought they were holier-than-thou

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It's not going to get any better either. That's why I bought a Volt to begin with, 'cause the charging situation in NJ blows.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess that makes all Tesla owners EVholes also...
Hey, you trying to attract someone to this thread? Lol

One thing for sure, that PiP owner that unplugged me is a definite #EVHOLE.

Actually, an argument can be made that Tesla's should never charge at public J1772 stations period, since they have that almighty proprietary Supercharger network all to themselves.

·
4,851 Posts
Tell the charging station owners you want to ban half their customers from the stations so they're always available for people who might desperately need the range.

I'm sure that taking away half their revenue will not encourage more stations to be built.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
There is only one thing that will really solve this issue, and it is very simple (at least in theory). Public charging stations should charge a reasonable rate for the electricity dispensed, at least as high as the residential rate. That takes away the incentive for people to charge when they don't really need to charge away from home.

Of course, the big obstruction for this are the laws that make it illegal to resell electricity, but a sensible restructuring of these laws could fix that.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There is one charging station owned by EV solutions in Astoria Oregon by the Bus / Transit terminal downtown. There is two units a DC charging and a regular charger as well, . Nearly always the two parking spots are empty. Also EV Solutions only charges $19.99 / month with unlimited charging. I guess it all depends on where you live. Here in northwestern Oregon the SUV and 3 ton pickup trucks are king. 16 miles south on Highway 101 in Seaside there is a Tesla Charging station at the shopping mall with 8 standing charges. Nearly always they are empty, now with summer there may be one or two Tesla's there, I have never seen all 8 stations being occupied.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran into a situation where I was at a Trader Joe's in Long Beach, CA where I just got there, plugged in and was about to walk away. I saw a Fiat e500 and flagged him down as he was driving away and told him to take my spot. Considering I would only be there for 10 - 15 mins and the low charge rate of the Volt, it made no sense to for me to not just use gas and help him out.

I think that the "pecking" order should just be an understanding that first come first serve does not mean to throw away your sense of good logical or ethics. I do agree that the Prius PHEV should have thought about wtf he was doing before doing it. I would equate it to saving 10 cents just because........a PHEV is generally an efficient car as is.......so saving the additional amount is not necessarily worth a fight or pissing someone else off.

When I first got the Volt, I used to feel that I was entitled to spots, etc etc....but the more I drove, the more I realized that I got the Volt so I could not worry about it. I now just frequent more places that have more charging options/have a way to rotate cars in charging.

I am good for fair play, but just don't be an a-hole...on either side.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It's a two edged sword. If EV spots aren't filled, there is no reason to expand, when apparently in some areas, there is a need.

This is how Tesla SC stations expanded. The stations were filled, so they had to install more. It was never a queue for Who Needs It The Most.

Complain on Plugshare (the EVSE providers read it) that you arrived and it was filled. That is the solution.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
EV drivers tend to be more pretentious if not self righteous than most drivers. Heck i remember when some Prius drivers thought they were holier-than-thou
I think we can all agree there are a-holes everywhere, they don't necessarily have to be driving electric cars.

I guess I'm guilty of some pretentiousness as I can't help but laugh at new Prius and Prius Prime owners. I'll give older gen Prius owners a pass as at one time it was the highest MPG vehicle on the road.

·
Administrator
19,979 Posts
What is the "approved" EV range that allows one to charge?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A blog post about how some people think Bolts should never local charge (the jabronis) because they are "long range" and shouldn't even need to charge at local public stations.
I have a similar sentiment about free chargers that are perpetually crowded and block out people who really need the charge. You can "really need the charge" no matter how large your battery is.

If there were a way to prioritize access to chargers based on need, then that would be the way to go. But there isn't, and so until chargers become ubiquitous enough that access is no longer an issue then first come, first served is really the only thing we've got.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Actually, an argument can be made that Tesla's should never charge at public J1772 stations period, since they have that almighty proprietary Supercharger network all to themselves.
I'm getting a whiff of hypocrisy from this post.

there is an EV segment that believes Volts aren't even electric cars and should never use public charging stations because they have a gas backup. :rolleyes:
I never use public charging stations. If I need more range I visit a gas station. It's quick, easy and I don't have to fight over a gas pump, ever.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 122 Posts