GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never driven a Honda CRX or later car with a vertical window low on the hatch, the arrangement of the hatch glass on the Gen 1 was new to me. I find that little bit of glass to be a wonderful thing; this car has terrific visibility out of the back and is easier to back up than any car I've previously owned. Not sure why that glass vanished in the later model. Weight? Structural limitation of aluminum? Those reasons I can understand. Hopefully it was not purely a styling choice. The proper relationship between form and function with the Gen 1 Volt is also a very refreshing thing, given the normally perverse arrangement.

The camera is not really a substitute and even seems a bit crazy in terms of complexity, compared to a bit of glass. Backing up while looking forward at a screen is a strange way to drive a car. Perhaps GM is thinking of an older, less flexible demographic?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
For a host of reasons from crash protection to aerodynamics, visibility has become downright awful in cars. I wouldn't buy a vehicle without a backup camera.
Twisting around in a supportive bucket seat isn't like tossing your arm over a bench seat like I could in the 1971 Chevelle I learned to drive in. As far as the Volt mini window is concerned, I found it accumulated dirt and snow so easily that it was useless much of the time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Cost. It adds a lot of expense. I would like to see one too.

I find backup cameras useless much of the year if you forget to wipe off road grime, which they also accumulate.

Also, the dynamic range of the cameras is limited such they don't work well backing up in high contrast areas like I do every morning. Sun and shadows and can't see anything, especially if the sun is hitting the video screen.

The hatch window is nice, but what I find most lacking is a wiper blade. The rear window accumulates snow and dust and every other hatch I have driven has a wiper blade

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello The hatch window is needed if you do not have a camera and even if you do IMHO. That was the first thing I noticed when I sat in the 2016 and looked to the rear.
When i got the 2013 GM sent this nice hard cover book with lots of reasons on the development of the gen 1. Not sure if the Gen 2 people got a book. Or if GM gave a official reason for getting rid of the hatch window. Probally cost. I read that they will make the rear camera standard?

Did not get the nice book with the 2015.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Hello The hatch window is needed if you do not have a camera and even if you do IMHO. That was the first thing I noticed when I sat in the 2016 and looked to the rear.
When i got the 2013 GM sent this nice hard cover book with lots of reasons on the development of the gen 1. Not sure if the Gen 2 people got a book. Or if GM gave a official reason for getting rid of the hatch window. Probally cost. I read that they will make the rear camera standard?

Did not get the nice book with the 2015.
I have a 2013, didn't get the book....should I have?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The camera is not really a substitute and even seems a bit crazy in terms of complexity, compared to a bit of glass. Backing up while looking forward at a screen is a strange way to drive a car. Perhaps GM is thinking of an older, less flexible demographic?
Backup cameras have become standard because of how many children are being run over by cars backing out of driveways.

Or the dealer had one and never gave it to me.
Yes, there's an evil sales manager standing over a pile of books in a back room snickering over his success. :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have the rear lower window on my gen 1. Don't miss it on gen 2. Only used to parallel park which I almost never do. Backup camera is great. Wide angle allows view of oncoming people/cars when I am backing out of a canyon formed by two parked pickup trucks. Camera location at the back of the car is perfect. I can not be at the back of the car!

Now why doesn't anyone complain about pickup trucks blocking visibility? Maybe have a camera to see underneath them?

llninja - the book went away when they dropped the price by $5k. Expensive book.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello The book came in the mail from GM. About 2 months after i leased the 2013 in June of 2013. I thought it was all part of the MY Volt thing. Maybe it was only for leasse's. Really nice hard cover book, about 100pages + or -.
maybe I should auction it off. If I can find it.

I have a 2013, didn't get the book....should I have?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both camera and window would be best, really. I can definitely sympathize with creaky old bodies being incompatible with twisting in a grippy seat. I'm about 50% of the way to full torso+neck seize-up myself.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Have the rear lower window on my gen 1. Don't miss it on gen 2. Only used to parallel park which I almost never do. Backup camera is great. Wide angle allows view of oncoming people/cars when I am backing out of a canyon formed by two parked pickup trucks. Camera location at the back of the car is perfect. I can not be at the back of the car!
I am very glad that I got the two options that include the cross traffic sensors and rear blind spot indicators in the outside rear view mirrors. The cross traffic sensors has been very useful when I back out o a sot with two pickups or SUVs parked on either side of me. I wish the opaque window tints were not allowed because even cars with this tint present a visibility issue when backing up.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
llninja - the book went away when they dropped the price by $5k. Expensive book.
My car's MSRP was $44K before the price drop, but I purchased it in Oct 2013 after the great $5K my14 price drop which meant 2013s got $5k rebates. I guess I prefer $5K in my pocket rather than a book on my shelf.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't know about the Gen 1 Volt, but on the 2005 Prius I traded the lower window portion was situated at the exact height of the headlights of a typical car and it drove me crazy when they popped in and out of being blocked by the horizontal bar between the windows! I do miss the wiper on the rear window, though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Having never driven a Honda CRX or later car with a vertical window low on the hatch, the arrangement of the hatch glass on the Gen 1 was new to me. I find that little bit of glass to be a wonderful thing; this car has terrific visibility out of the back and is easier to back up than any car I've previously owned. Not sure why that glass vanished in the later model. Weight? Structural limitation of aluminum? Those reasons I can understand. Hopefully it was not purely a styling choice. The proper relationship between form and function with the Gen 1 Volt is also a very refreshing thing, given the normally perverse arrangement.

Agreeed, window like Gen 1 would be nice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts