GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
YHomeDepot's trucks/vans rentals are even MORE expensive. 1 DIY project per month that needs a truck/van means I would spend MORE than just buying a truck. So you'll end up having to hire contractors to do even the simplest projects.
I've been doing DIY home projects for over 20 years, never needed a truck. Would a truck be handy? Sure. But for me it would be like buying a plane because sometimes I fly to California.

Roof racks on previous cars and now my Bolt add a lot of flexibility at the expense of the time it takes to lash and ratchet down the goods, and driving slower on city streets, especially with panels and long flat stuff (drywall, plywood, boards, mirrors, pipes, etc.)

For LOTS of the above or bags of heavy stuff, my HD rents at $20 for 75 minutes? Plus you fill the gas. I can haul a LOT in that truck. Never paid more than $20. I've need the rental maybe twice a year. For very large projects, most will deliver for around $50-$75. The truck either slides the stuff off the back or has a crane that lifts and lowers pallets. I've needed that once in maybe every 5 years. Cement trucks of course, deliver as well :)

My projects have been roof, walls, concrete, bridges, electrical, plumbing, yard. So, combo of roof rack, HD rental, delivery and I'm way under the cost of buying a truck, even if you multiply by 20 years. Would be different if I was a contractor or a farmer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You mean bankrupt Hertz? Who recently pissed off a Gold level lawyer?

Car rentals know how to TAKE reservations, but don't know how to HOLD reservations. <-- Seinfeld reference :)

I tried Zipcar. OK, you're right about what car sharing can do, but it can NOT do many, many things. Examples:

DIYer? Renting trucks / vans isn't cheap. I asked a local car rental for a truck not long ago and it was $750/wk. HomeDepot's trucks/vans rentals are even MORE expensive. 1 DIY project per month that needs a truck/van means I would spend MORE than just buying a truck. So you'll end up having to hire contractors to do even the simplest projects.

Vacation cabin in the woods? Campground out in the country? Rideshares won't get you BACK home. Some Uber/Lyft drivers will get you from that airport out to the cabin or campground, but they won't come to take you back to the airport. I did talk to 1 driver who tried it but said she'd never do it again (because of the wasted return trip ... nobody "in the woods" wanted a ride back to the city airport). So even if you want to rough it in a tent or go offgrid in a cabin, you'll need go rent a car.

Renting a car gets us back to the horrific Hertz nightmares & the Seinfeld joke. I travel for work. It's 50/50 if Enterprise/Hertz/Avis actually HELD the class of car I reserved. "Oh, thank you for being a Gold/Premier/BlahBlah customer, but we only have a subcompact or a truck available now" is often what I hear if my name doesn't appear on their "premier" arrive-n-go board. Even though work is paying the bill, I take the subcompact and pray that none of my coworkers need me to pick them up from the airport. Heaven forbid if you've got a family in tow for that vacation in the woods -- somebody might have to ride in the trunk, LOL!
I didn't say Hertz will go out of business, They could well be the renters. I'm saying you will have zero need to buy an Automobile.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts
Perhaps Tesla will finally make an attractive vehicle. Then the rest of us might get onboard.
Amen. The S is not bad-looking, but I am no fan of the rest of Tesla's corral. Lucid and Mercedes new EVs are much more attractive. So is the new Equinox. Additionally, I don't like Tesla's interior design and everything on a slab to the driver's side approach to instrumentation and controls. The latest aircraft steering wheel approach is just wrong. It's unlikely that I will ever own one.

Reactions: tripowergto 2010

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
DIYer? Renting trucks / vans isn't cheap. I asked a local car rental for a truck not long ago and it was $750/wk. HomeDepot's trucks/vans rentals are even MORE expensive.
UHaul's about $75 for a day and a hundred miles, including all the damage waivers you can eat. It just takes some actual planning to make it cheap.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The days of ownership of an Auto is about over. in 5 years no one will want to own a car. who ever wins out will make Autos to lease out like Hertz rent a car. they will all be autonomous. you order groceries from Kroger or Walmart, 40 minutes later a car drives up with your groceries, a robot gets out and takes you order to your house. You are later billed for the whole thing. You are charged for an Auto rental to deliver your order. If you have no other duties for the robot or rental car they return to their station and you will be charged a return fee.
If you need a Lemo for your son's prom one is rented to you along with shoes and Tux. Upon return the Tux in the back seat is returned to where it was rented and the Lemo is returned.
You are not paying for your own Auto to sit day after day in your drive or in the Parking garage at your work. In fact you garage at home attached to your home will vanish in a few years to come and most people will work at home where no car is needed. I wont live 5 to ten more years, but I'd like to see it become established.
I wonder if that could happen in twenty years. I'm not so sure even then.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
VW Beetle, pretty close, Norton! A great car to learn on. I disassembled almost the entire car at one time or another, including body and engine, even repainted the car. Learned a lot. From me it got passed down in the family over the years until the driver's floor rusted through and you could see the road beneath your feet! When I bought it, used VW's were almost as much as new, kinda like today's hot used car market.
I bought mine for $350, looked like somebody took a shotgun to it but the inside was like new, no rust on the pan. Drove it several years for work getting per diem and miles rates based on a new Chevy Nova (extra pocket change). Replaced the clutch using scissor jacks, some 2X4's and a piece of plywood (to slide the engine out under the bumper.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
617 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Many used cars are less than $20k.

And here are three new cars you can buy under $15k: The 2021 Chevrolet Spark, the 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage, and the 2021 Nissan Versa.

My first car had no radio, no carpeting, no floor mats, no A/C, no power windows. It had a whopping 45 horsepower! At today's dollars, it was $14,320. It was about the cheapest new car at the time. You can get a lot more car for the money today with the three above.

This is why I have written that within ten years there will be zero private auto purchases.
The industry will operate like a rental car company connected to auto controlled systems that will send an auto or truck to the location you want it and retrieve what you need and return it to where you need it to be delivered. No one will own an automobile or truck even if you are a plumber.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This is why I have written that within ten years there will be zero private auto purchases.
The industry will operate like a rental car company connected to auto controlled systems that will send an auto or truck to the location you want it and retrieve what you need and return it to where you need it to be delivered. No one will own an automobile or truck even if you are a plumber.
and you think this will be cheaper than full ownership,,no way.renting a car now isn't cheap,pipe dream

·
Registered
31 Posts
and you think this will be cheaper than full ownership,,no way.renting a car now isn't cheap,pipe dream
Wont be like now, money we make wont be like now. Just remember this conversation. I wont be here in ten years, but Hopefully you will. If every one has the same option, no one will be allowed to own an auto of any kind so you're not renting an auto. You're using a service like Grocery shopping.

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
no one will be allowed to own an auto of any kind so you're not renting an auto. You're using a service like Grocery shopping.
And yet, Marry Barra said GM will be offering self driving cars for purchase. And so will Tesla. And auto company competition will drive this as well.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
At one point there was an influx of used cars on the market due to subsidize leasing programs and cars became cheap. Due to the supposed chip shortage which caused new car shortages, people are holding on to their old vehicle much longer. Once the "crisis" is over, companies will start promoting leases again. We're going to see better deals in the future. It's almost as if the entire thing was planned and orchestrated. :unsure:

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
Due to the supposed chip shortage which caused new car shortages, people are holding on to their old vehicle much longer. Once the "crisis" is over, companies will start promoting leases again. We're going to see better deals in the future. It's almost as if the entire thing was planned and orchestrated. :unsure:
Oh boy. Supposed "crisis"?

You are "implying" that the well "documented" chip "shortage" that's affecting more than the "auto" industry is due to some "cabal" planing and "orchestrating" it. /s

Who are the nefarious companies creating the supposed crisis, the chip manufacturers?
  • Because they didn't want to sell more of their product?
  • Because they wanted to give rise to new chip competitors that can fill the market shortfall?

This very real shortage does not help the chip manufactures. Companies are scrambling to build new muti-billion dollar plants as fast as possible.

The biggest semiconductor manufacturers in the world are quickly trying to build new factories as the global chip crisis continues to wreak havoc on a plethora of industries.
Why Intel and TSMC are building water-dependent chip factories in one of the driest U.S. states

Or, are you saying the car manufacturers like GM created an artificial shortage?
  • Because they want to tank their own sales?
  • Because they want to tank their stock price?
  • Because they want to give well-stocked competitors like Toyota an advantage?

Profit Falls at GM and Ford as Chip Shortage Takes Toll. Executives from the Detroit auto makers say supply-chain disruptions should slowly improve in the fourth quarter and throughout next year
Profit Falls at GM and Ford as Chip Shortage Takes Toll

The world will have lost 11.3 million units of production in 2021 because of the chip shortage, according to AutoForecast Solutions. Drive by any almost empty dealer lot to see what this looks like on the ground. The impact could be another 7 million units in 2022 and 1.6 million in 2023, IHS forecasts
And of course there are 169 other industries besides auto's that are scrambling for chips. Home appliance manufactures, home heating/AC manufactures, etc. Are they all involved with the auto makers in a secret worldwide conspiracy? https://finance.yahoo.com/news/these-industries-are-hit-hardest-by-the-global-chip-shortage-122854251.html

None of the "the chip shortage is a conspiracy" makes sense, but then most conspiracy theories don't. People will go to great lengths to create a very complicated conspiracy instead of accepting the simplest explanation: covid has messed up the supply chain big time. Been to the hardware store lately? Half the spray paint shelves are bare beacuse of supply chain issues. It's not just computer chips. Another conspiracy by the auto makers? :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hasn't it already been documented that General Motors bought a massive amount of the railway system and ran it to the ground so they could produce and sell more vehicle?

Wasn't there a gasoline "crisis" due to major refineries shutting half of their production down to create demand and increase prices.

I would like to trust the goverment and multinational corporations. But I've worked for both entities and no I do not trust them.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hasn't it already been documented that General Motors bought a massive amount of the railway system and ran it to the ground so they could produce and sell more vehicle?
Gonna need a credible source for that one. EMD was a GM subsidiary that built locomotives for 75 years or so, and looks like GM is about to dabble in it again with Wabtec (aka Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Gonna need a credible source for that one. EMD was a GM subsidiary that built locomotives for 75 years or so, and looks like GM is about to dabble in it again with Wabtec (aka Westinghouse Air Brake Technologies).

·
Administrator
21,493 Posts
I'm sure she has, like everyone other person that has walked the earth. Though some are pathological liars, I don't see her as one. But just because her announcements of GM's plans contradict your conspiracy theory doesn't mean she's lying. Also, go argue politics in the Politics form, not here. If you see your subsequent political posts disappear, it won't be a conspiracy, it will be me deleting them if they are not in the Politics forum. That's where they go, not here.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts