GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla is now the most profitable company. Most profitable sales. Most valuable company at over a trillion dollars.
Elon Musk is the second richest billionaire and could surpass Jeff Bezos.

Will this bubble ever burst? Once Tesla Gigafactories are built around the world, should other manufacturers just call it quits? Then there's Model 2 that's supposed to be less expensive than a Toyota Corrolla.

Once 10 minutes charging infrastructure is in place, there will be no need for ICE vehicles. You run into the station, do your business, grab a soda and your car would be ready to go another 300 miles or so. How great would that be?

With Elon Musk as the supreme ruler, will the future be like a utopian Star Trek or more like 1984.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
lol. I suspect VW, Nissan, Ford, GM, Rivian, Toyota, a number of Chinese car makers, et al will not rollover that easily. And Musk's personal wealth is irrelevant to the question.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Full electric has so many advantages, in terms of complexity. This can't have been missed by all the manufacturers. Even the performance builders are going to be happier with electric than gas. They may have to create sound systems to emulate ridiculous childish noise, but like electric motors, sound reproduction is established tech that will be easy to achieve.

The manufacturers will be able to get rid of millions of square feet full of spare engine parts, cams, pistons, exhaust manifolds, and the like. Repairs will be simple. Most complaints about engine noises will go away. Cars will be repaired in the owner's driveway by a tech in a van.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts
Tesla is still a automotive maker for high income individuals. The cheapest version with reasonable range is the Model 3 LR, and it's a $50k car. Gas will not be going away for decades, due to the lower lifetime cost within the same format, the better utility, and the existing infrastructure. EV's are now here to stay, but they're still not the right solution for everyone. The replacement battery cost will need to be addressed given the calendar lifespan, as well as long-term production availability. What EV's could lead to long-term would be the aircraft lifetime model for cars, where the same car can be on the road for decades, and be periodically upgraded. Since we are making predictions, those are mine.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
A 2022 Spark gasser costs about $15k. Which is, in constant value dollars, exactly the same price as the bottom barrel new car by a US manufacturer has cost for forty years. That's your target for "done": A hundred mile EPA range for $15k new. Until there is at least one of those, we don't know what the market will actually look like.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
34 Posts
My sister just bought Toyota's new plugin RAV4, not a Tesla. Not everyone lives in SoCal with fast chargers on every block. Musk could hire StarBucks or McDonalds (or Subway) to figure out how to have stations at every town in America.

Competition is good. Bubbles burst.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Perhaps Tesla will finally make an attractive vehicle. Then the rest of us might get onboard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice Postulation but by the time Tesla actually gets around to making a 300 mile range EV that can charge in 10 minutes and cost less than $20,000, the old competition will have made great strides. Tesla is already losing the edge on premium long range EVs.

They can still seize the future but they really have to cater to the lower income market. $35,000+ for 300 miles of electric range doesn't jive with many people outside of California. And that's just for a sedan or crossover never mind anybody who actually needs a truck. Name dropping Rivian here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really makes me wonder where the future of Auto mobiles will be when you can't get a functioning vehicle for less than $20,000. Far too people simply cannot do that.

We should start a hybrid scooter company.

·
Registered
195 Posts
When you look at the environmental impact on the front end, during service life and on the back end, it won't be long before the politicians go after EVs, too.
Keep in mind they are not in power to help you, but to keep getting themselves elected. Nothing helps getting elected like whipping up apocalyptic doomsday scenarios.
Without those, people might actually look around and notice life was pretty good on its own, before this nutjob came along.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
Really makes me wonder where the future of Auto mobiles will be when you can't get a functioning vehicle for less than $20,000. Far too people simply cannot do that.

We should start a hybrid scooter company.
Many used cars are less than $20k.

And here are three new cars you can buy under $15k: The 2021 Chevrolet Spark, the 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage, and the 2021 Nissan Versa.

My first car had no radio, no carpeting, no floor mats, no A/C, no power windows. It had a whopping 45 horsepower! At today's dollars, it was $14,320. It was about the cheapest new car at the time. You can get a lot more car for the money today with the three above.

Reactions: auscal

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I can't wait for a snow storm and theres an ev pile up and a month later the batteries stop burning.:p or all the cars that die in the middle of a traffic jam.mobile ev charging station service powered by DIESEL.

then theres snow clearing,,better have some extra fully trucks on stand by,,my truck gets 21mpg going down the highway,,plowing,8-9 miles to the gallon,alot load pushing snow.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
34 Posts
Many used cars are less than $20k.
Yup! I bought my Volt used for <$20k. That was well before the chip shortage & inflation made used cars skyrocket in $.

The alternatives for Americans buying pricey $$$ EVs is mass transit, but the country fails.

I lived in a small German village long ago, had no car, and could easily, quickly & cheaply get anywhere in Europe by bus/train. Try that in small town America. Pfft!

Even the mass transit that we do have is pointless for the everyday commuter. Example: I was in Minneapolis the other week, and they're so proud of their light rail, but the train goes from Target Stadium to The Mall of America -- LOL! Great for tourists; useless for the local commuter.

So the panacea that every American can afford a new EV (to save the world) is a pipe dream, and fixing alternatives like mass transit would take way more $$$ than this Administration's Infrastucture Bill.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I see very few Sonic type cars on the road.
Remember that "average" has no upper bound for consideration, and the mega-expensive vehicles (top-end luxury, or expensive performance vehicles, etc) have far more influence on the "average price" than even multiple cheap ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tesla is now the most profitable company. Most profitable sales. Most valuable company at over a trillion dollars.
Elon Musk is the second richest billionaire and could surpass Jeff Bezos.

Will this bubble ever burst? Once Tesla Gigafactories are built around the world, should other manufacturers just call it quits? Then there's Model 2 that's supposed to be less expensive than a Toyota Corrolla.

Once 10 minutes charging infrastructure is in place, there will be no need for ICE vehicles. You run into the station, do your business, grab a soda and your car would be ready to go another 300 miles or so. How great would that be?

With Elon Musk as the supreme ruler, will the future be like a utopian Star Trek or more like 1984.
The days of ownership of an Auto is about over. in 5 years no one will want to own a car. who ever wins out will make Autos to lease out like Hertz rent a car. they will all be autonomous. you order groceries from Kroger or Walmart, 40 minutes later a car drives up with your groceries, a robot gets out and takes you order to your house. You are later billed for the whole thing. You are charged for an Auto rental to deliver your order. If you have no other duties for the robot or rental car they return to their station and you will be charged a return fee.
If you need a Lemo for your son's prom one is rented to you along with shoes and Tux. Upon return the Tux in the back seat is returned to where it was rented and the Lemo is returned.
You are not paying for your own Auto to sit day after day in your drive or in the Parking garage at your work. In fact you garage at home attached to your home will vanish in a few years to come and most people will work at home where no car is needed. I wont live 5 to ten more years, but I'd like to see it become established.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
34 Posts
who ever wins out will make Autos to lease out like Hertz rent a car.
You mean bankrupt Hertz? Who recently pissed off a Gold level lawyer?

Car rentals know how to TAKE reservations, but don't know how to HOLD reservations. <-- Seinfeld reference :)

I tried Zipcar. OK, you're right about what car sharing can do, but it can NOT do many, many things. Examples:

DIYer? Renting trucks / vans isn't cheap. I asked a local car rental for a truck not long ago and it was $750/wk. HomeDepot's trucks/vans rentals are even MORE expensive. 1 DIY project per month that needs a truck/van means I would spend MORE than just buying a truck. So you'll end up having to hire contractors to do even the simplest projects.

Vacation cabin in the woods? Campground out in the country? Rideshares won't get you BACK home. Some Uber/Lyft drivers will get you from that airport out to the cabin or campground, but they won't come to take you back to the airport. I did talk to 1 driver who tried it but said she'd never do it again (because of the wasted return trip ... nobody "in the woods" wanted a ride back to the city airport). So even if you want to rough it in a tent or go offgrid in a cabin, you'll need go rent a car.

Renting a car gets us back to the horrific Hertz nightmares & the Seinfeld joke. I travel for work. It's 50/50 if Enterprise/Hertz/Avis actually HELD the class of car I reserved. "Oh, thank you for being a Gold/Premier/BlahBlah customer, but we only have a subcompact or a truck available now" is often what I hear if my name doesn't appear on their "premier" arrive-n-go board. Even though work is paying the bill, I take the subcompact and pray that none of my coworkers need me to pick them up from the airport. Heaven forbid if you've got a family in tow for that vacation in the woods -- somebody might have to ride in the trunk, LOL!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
...My first car had no radio, no carpeting, no floor mats, no A/C, no power windows. It had a whopping 45 horsepower! At today's dollars, it was $14,320. It was about the cheapest new car at the time....
I just have to guess: VW Thing?
Or a Yugo?

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
....Once 10 minutes charging infrastructure is in place, there will be no need for ICE vehicles. You run into the station, do your business, grab a soda and your car would be ready to go another 300 miles or so. ...
No Li-Ion battery works like that, regardless of what "Elon says....".

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
I just have to guess: VW Thing?
Or a Yugo?
VW Beetle, pretty close, Norton! A great car to learn on. I disassembled almost the entire car at one time or another, including body and engine, even repainted the car. Learned a lot. From me it got passed down in the family over the years until the driver's floor rusted through and you could see the road beneath your feet! When I bought it, used VW's were almost as much as new, kinda like today's hot used car market.

Reactions: Norton
1 - 20 of 41 Posts