GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I park my car to charge in the morning, I normally check the status on the Onstar app about once an hour, not that the estimated completion time changes very much (does often change by 15 minutes one way or the other and I try to get out to car exactly at completion time to free up the spot for others) but it's what some anal-retentive type-A people do... today it's a good thing I did.

6:30am - park car to start charging with no warning lights at all.

7:30am - check status, is charging but tire indicator says one tire is at 13psi (normally about 38-40), log off PC and go to car.

7:40am - get to car, start up and it says that one tire now at 10psi, thankfully a local shop is only a mile away and on a 35mph road.

7:45am - get to shop and check car in, check status again and it says that one tire now at 7psi, just in time!

8:30am - called by shop saying tire is fixed, drove back to charger and back in business.

So it's not like I drove off-road this morning or even on any shoulders of the road, stayed in normal drive lanes as always... how the heck I got a piece of a rusty ¼" drill bit in my rear tire I will never know (auto shop taped it to the receipt)...

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
All types of things are on the road. Last summer I heard a POP rolling my Trailblazer SS down a major 5 lane road. No flat, non pressure loss. Got out and looked, didn't see anything right away. Driving slowly in a parking lot, heard a consistent 'click' coming form one of the tires.

Rolled to the tire shop nearby, they pulled out a 6 inch curved rusty nail that made it's way into the tire. Quick plug and I was on my way :)

·
Administrator
19,979 Posts
Interestingly, rear tire punctures are more common than front tire punctures. Apparently the front tire "sets up" the debris that then punctures the rear.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Interestingly, rear tire punctures are more common than front tire punctures. Apparently the front tire "sets up" the debris that then punctures the rear.
Yep, both my debris punctures were rear tires. First time a screwdriver, second an elastic tie down strap (which are illegal to use on road vehicles in Michigan, guess why).

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've picked up a lot of the common things in my tires, in fact my local tire shop has a big plastic jar full of the things they've pulled out of tires (and that jar sells them a LOT of "road hazard" coverage for their tires).

Weirdest thing I've had happen though was many years ago when I heard a loud "thunk" in the rear and when I stopped and checked there was a good chunk of rubber torn out of my tire... and a small bicycle-type sprocket embedded in my wheel well like a ninja star :O

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Yes. And more commonly on the passenger side -- it's the side facing the curb and the driver is less apt to see it.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Yep, both my debris punctures were rear tires. First time a screwdriver, second an elastic tie down strap (which are illegal to use on road vehicles in Michigan, guess why).
Ditto. Both times I've had a puncture in my Volt, it's been a rear tire.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I never thought of the rear tire phenomenon, but it makes sense. My last two were both rears as well. And I can't remember further back than the last two.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes. And more commonly on the passenger side -- it's the side facing the curb and the driver is less apt to see it.
As a matter of fact, the 2 incidents I mentioned above where on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Not a flat tire story, but definitely a type-a story...

Parked on a street in DC which is usually very tight bumper to bumper parallel parking. As I was just about parked, I noticed that the very first spot, a car was leaving. The Type A in me says I should take that spot instead so I back up about 5 cars, park and am super happy. Two hours later, I return to a $250 parking ticket. Turns out the spot I backed up into was a poorly marked handicap spot. I should have just stayed where I was. Would have been much cheaper! DC apparently is famous for its signage and a lot of people get dinged there. Let's just say that I am less type a now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts