GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Volt. 6300 miles. Today and very occasionally over last few weeks at least an hour after the car is off and sitting in the driveway while plugged into Level 2 but fully charged -- and about an hour or more after the car has been driven -- I hear something running in the Engine compartment under the hood. I don't think it is the ice, but definitely a fan running and a whir sound but some slight vibration. Volt stats does not show any gas burned. Temperature today was high 80s. Now it is about 75. Is it running AC to cool the battery even though the car has been sitting and it is below 80? Anyone experienced this? What is up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
It is not unusual for the Volt to make various whirring noises when just sitting there. I would guess it is running the A/C compressor to keep the battery cool. It can vary the speed of the compressor so if it is not real hot the compressor will run pretty quietly.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not unusual for the Volt to make various whirring noises when just sitting there. I would guess it is running the A/C compressor to keep the battery cool. It can vary the speed of the compressor so if it is not real hot the compressor will run pretty quietly.
Thanks. I figured that's what it must be, but just doesn't seem very hot for it to be doing that.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Thanks. I figured that's what it must be, but just doesn't seem very hot for it to be doing that.

When charging batteries, heat increases in the battery compartment and must be dissipated. It can make the garage mighty toasty in the summer, to the point that I might not work in the garage as a result. So in the summer, I sometimes park outside, plug 110v porch rather than park in the garage, just so the garage is usable for hobbies and fix it stuff around the farm until it's bedtime, then I'll move the volt into the garage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 2017 Volt does the same, especially with the hotter weather we are just beginning to have here in Texas. I first noticed it when battery miles had been used up, car was parked and plugged in the hot garage, and outside temps were 85 degrees or higher, AND the battery had been charging for 30 min to an hour. I guess the battery pack is getting hot -- I am charging at 12 amps 240v. Cooling fans make such a noise that I came out of the house into the garage, thinking the gas engine was somehow running (my office and the utility room are next to the garage). After a little while, the fans shut down, and the charging continues (probably at a slower rate).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Regarding other replies-expect those sounds as fairly normal.Mention of heat in garage : I have found (17 Volt LT) car interior warms with charging (Level 2 only at home),so car doors or windows can remain open while charging plus garage door opened.This dissipates heat quite rapidly inside the car,and I expect precludes any need for automatic battery cooling requirement.
Don

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks. At first I thought it was the ICE. I have owned the cars for over a year and hadn't heard that before except for a day last summer when it was over 100.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
Thanks folks. At first I thought it was the ICE. I have owned the cars for over a year and hadn't heard that before except for a day last summer when it was over 100.

Someday you'll go into the garage and catch the car buzzing and whirring near the back of the car. That's the car pressurizing the fuel tank to keep the fuel fresh.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Is it running AC to cool the battery even though the car has been sitting and it is below 80? Anyone experienced this? What is up?
Yes/Yes/ Among other things.

It says you are a senior member. It is curious you have not seen this in the manual or the many threads on this topic from Gen1 or Gen2. Perhaps you just forgot. :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen the manual say that the pumps etc could come on from time to time, but it was not hot enough outside I thought to trigger that. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts