GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was involved in a car accident last November, front and rear impact but nothing too crazy. The car was still drivable and actually drove a couple days before leaving it with the shop/insurance. During these 2 days, it would drive the same but there was a slight noise that would hear on acceleration/deceleration only.

The best way I could describe that noise, would be as something that is spinning out of balance.

The shop fixed it all up and the noise was mainly gone. I would hear once it a while, and it gradually got as bad as it was just after the accident. Last night, it was anxiously bad as if that unbalanced thing was getting loose and rubbing against something.

Left the Volt home and took my wife's Prius to go work, called the insurance and they're going to tow it away to the dealer. The repairs have a life time warranty so I am not worried that they'll take care of it, but I'd like to anticipate the possible issue of insurance/dealer claiming it is not accident related.

I don't see what it could be that would not be accident related but then again, I have absolutely no idea what I am hearing.

Would anyone have any idea what I am dealing with here? It is really specific to acceleration/deceleration so I am thinking something motor side rather than wheel side but I could be wrong. For some reason I am thinking something part of the regenerative braking system.

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
19,968 Posts
Perhaps a video would help?
Agreed. You see, it kinda sounds like a thing with another that's not connected anymore, haha :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do. the insurance/shop is supposed to pick it up on Tuesday. Fact that no one seems to be familiar with that noise kind of reassures me that it is related to the loss, and not simple wear and tear like the adjuster wants to think.

the video, I don't know about that, I'm pretty anxious of driving it. Been stuck with my wife's prius and obviously the HV battery just died. lucky week huh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi
I picked up the volt on saturday and everything is now back to normal.
Turns out as I expected they didn't repair (see?) one broken electric motor mounts after the accident in november. and since then other motor mount was stressed more than it should be, eventually breaking also out of fatigue.
It was a relatively cheap repair ($700) which was covered by the insurance and that included a close to $400 tow bill to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
hi
I picked up the volt on saturday and everything is now back to normal.
Turns out as I expected they didn't repair (see?) one broken electric motor mounts after the accident in november. and since then other motor mount was stressed more than it should be, eventually breaking also out of fatigue.
It was a relatively cheap repair ($700) which was covered by the insurance and that included a close to $400 tow bill to the dealer.
And this is precisely why I'm always so cautious when someone posts one of those "my car was in an accident, is it okay now?" threads. You never actually know until a little way down the line because there are so many things that can get stressed or shifted or whatever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts