GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this part called?
Is it normal for thieves to steal this part of a Chevy Volt 2017?
How can I replace it?
Should I take it to a local Chevy dealership?

photo below:

Window Hood Automotive lighting Car Building

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Shade

My car is missing that fit as shown here at the top of the roof:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
No, not normal. They likely damaged things in the process. Probably a dealer repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's your radio antenna. I'ts most likely that the car struck a low hanging object, garage door, etc. and it broke off.
This was definitely taken by a low life thief

See the damage on my car

Looks like they used tools and have done this before to other Chevy Volt models:

The wires were cut with wirecutters

Land vehicle Car Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
133 Posts
They can have mine. My FM radio doesn't work.

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
plus a new paint job unfortunately

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
650 Posts

See the damage on my car
The damage was done by the antenna peeling off the car. Odd that it looks like it was knocked off to the side. I wonder if a piece of ice or something like that hit you on the road??? My wife was driving this week and a large chunk flew off the top of a semi. We were fortunate to escape damage, but something like that (hitting in the right place) could tear the antenna off. ... Or maybe a malfunctioning car wash?

Looks like they used tools and have done this before to other Chevy Volt models:
Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive mirror

You can't steal the antenna with tools from the outside. One can only break it off. The antenna is held on by a nut, which is inside the car. ^

Wires cut with wire cutters have the insulation clean with the wires. Yours appear frayed and the wire is definitely not even with the insulation.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Maybe. I'd expect it would make enough noise to be noticed by the driver though.
Depends on the music one listens to! Actually, being held on by what I assume is just a little plastic nut, the thing may sound like a pop gun going off the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
plus a new paint job unfortunately
Or just leave it. Who's looking at your roof? :)

You could vinyl wrap as well. That may be cheaper

·
Registered
133 Posts
It’s not just the Radio
It contains the GPS
Now I can’t see the compass on the dashboard either
Oh, that would drive me insane. Not sure why I didn't put that together. Do you use phone mirroring like CarPlay or Android Auto? That could serve as replacement for some functionality. I prefer Waze via my iPhone.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Once you get this all sorted out, might I recommend a roof rack to deter thieves or roof scrapes? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts

See the damage on my car

View attachment 173715
That doesn't look like the aftermath of a theft, that looks like you hit something. When did you first notice the issue, and who was driving the car immediately before that?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
plus you LOST Stern as he signed a new deal with Sirius XM to extend his deal for his long-running show for another five years. haha

·
Registered
3,741 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Volt LT
6 Posts
highly recommend you seal that hole as soon as possible or you'll get water damage inside the car in no time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bonssrus, if you have comprehensive/other than collision coverage on your auto insurance policy it will pay for the damage after you meet the deductible. Did you report the theft to the police department? The insurance company may require that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts