GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not an expert on tax software, but I just wasted a lot of time with H&R Block (formerly TaxCut) 2010.
After struggling a bit, I finally found a paragraph in the online help system that addresses form 8936 ("Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit"). Here's what it says:

Text taken from a link from the software's Hybrid Car and Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit page, which corresponds to form 8910:
What if this vehicle qualifies for the plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit?
If a vehicle qualifies for the qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit on Form 8396, Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, the vehicle doesn't qualify for the alternative motor vehicle credit. Don't enter information about the vehicle in this topic. Form 8396 is not supported in the program this year.
That last sentence is a killer, isn't it?

I don't think H&R Block 2010 supports form 8911 ("Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit") either. FYI, if this page (scroll down) is to be believed then TaxAct 2010 does support forms 8936 and 8911. I don't know about TurboTax 2010.

Any thoughts?

edit: I did not add the following attached TurboTax image to my post, nor am I able to delete it. Hmm.
In post#8, barry252 finds Form 8911 on a list (updated 10/27/2010) of forms not supported by TurboTax.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am not a Tax Accountant or preparer, but I can share what I've found so far.

I have found that Turbo Tax fully supports form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit". The program has a drop box to select the 2011 Volt and instantly enters the $7500 credit. It does not support form 8911 "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit", at least not throught the updates as of January 12th. Form 8911 can be downloaded from www.irs.gov and your typed info can be saved in the pdf form and saved on your computer. I used the calculated credit from 8911 and overwrote the total credits on form 1040 in Turbo Tax. The numbers worked out correctly, but I don't think I can file electronically without 8911 support. I'm waiting on a response from Turbo Tax before I finish up.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've been with TaxAct for several years now. Been great up to this point. Good to see 8936 and 8911 being supported. Total cost for Federal and State is still under $20. They also offer electronic signatures. This means your forms are "signed" by using your password from the prior year. No through-the-mail paperwork to deal with at all. Simply print the 15-20 pages for your records at the end.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I have found that Turbo Tax fully supports form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit". The program has a drop box to select the 2011 Volt and instantly enters the $7500 credit.
This is great news. For 2010 it's not like there will be a million people needing it, so it's encouraging that they managed to get it into the 2010 Version. This assures that it will be in the 2011 Version, which is good since 2011 wil see more people needing it, for sure. Out of curiosity, did you install a charging station, and, if you did, how did Turbo Tax handle that? (For TT 2009 you were on your own).

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is great news. For 2010 it's not like there will be a million people needing it, so it's encouraging that they managed to get it into the 2010 Version. This assures that it will be in the 2011 Version, which is good since 2011 wil see more people needing it, for sure. Out of curiosity, did you install a charging station, and, if you did, how did Turbo Tax handle that? (For TT 2009 you were on your own).
I installed an SPX Voltec unit in December, 2010. It works great, BTW! The installed cost for it is what I entered on form 8911 I downloaded from irs.gov. Turbo Tax has worked grerat for me for nearly 20 years, but this will be the 1st time it fell short. If Tax Act works as described, it may be time to switch.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am not a Tax Accountant or preparer, but I can share what I've found so far.

I have found that Turbo Tax fully supports form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit". The program has a drop box to select the 2011 Volt and instantly enters the $7500 credit. It does not support form 8911 "Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit", at least not throught the updates as of January 12th. Form 8911 can be downloaded from www.irs.gov and your typed info can be saved in the pdf form and saved on your computer. I used the calculated credit from 8911 and overwrote the total credits on form 1040 in Turbo Tax. The numbers worked out correctly, but I don't think I can file electronically without 8911 support. I'm waiting on a response from Turbo Tax before I finish up.
Turbo Tax does support 8911 but you find it in other tax situations and then misc tax forms

Roy
Volt #272

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How are we supposed to claim both the Form 8936 credit and the Form 8911 credit?
They both say to check Form 1040, Line 53, Box C and write in the name of the form,
but there doesn't seem to be enough room for both.

TaxAct 2010 supports both forms, but it's not putting both credits on line 53. (If I delete
Form 8936 then it does take the Form 8911 credit.) Would I be allowed to sum the two
credits if I was filing by hand?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am using turbo Tax premier
Understood but, as barry 252 points out, Form 8911 is listed on Intuit's list of Federal Tax Forms Not Supported by TurboTax 1040 Products (updated 10/27/2010).

Are you saying that Form 8911 ("Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit") is actually in TurboTax Premier 2010? That would be weird, but I guess they can contradict their list if they want to.

We have already confirmed that Form 8936 ("Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit") is in there, so at least it supports the $7500 Volt credit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I'm trying Turbo Tax for the 1st time this year. I was able to get the $7500.00 credit. But it says it is waiting on form 8936
and will not be ready from the IRS till 2/10/2011 . It says I should have a certification from the dealer . I did not get that at signing.
Any one else know what this certification is ? Oh and I passed 1K miles this week , MPG +250 gas used .7tenths of a gal ! Thats right 7/10 of a gal !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm trying Turbo Tax for the 1st time this year. I was able to get the $7500.00 credit. But it says it is waiting on form 8936
and will not be ready from the IRS till 2/10/2011 . It says I should have a certification from the dealer . I did not get that at signing.
Any one else know what this certification is ?
I'm hardly a tax expert, but I don't think any certification from the dealer is necessary.

I believe that the IRS has certified that the Volt (as a model in general) qualifies for the credit.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any updates for 2011 tax year? I use Taxcut and it DOES NOT support 8936. They said to wait for it. If it wasn't supported last year I don't feel good about waiting this year.

Turbotax lists 8936 as supported but 8911 as NOT SUPPORTED.

What are you doing with your taxes this year?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used TurboTax on-line version (it's about $30 with federal filing) and it did all the work to get my $7500 federal tax deduction. It had a lot more problems with the SPX charger that it gave me no deduction on (I had one installed in my garage during 2011 by SPX). I will have to file a revised return when I get the details as to why they wouldn't properly calculate the SPX charging station.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just filed (and it was an Efile) my return this weekend using TurboTax Deluxe (basic had it as well) on the Mac and it fully supported both 8936 and 8911 even using the EasyGuide. Didn't have to search for any forms at all.

That having been said (and as posted in other threads), whether or not you get any credit for the charger install seems to be dependent on several factors; 1) the amount of the Volt credit you're eligible for and at least, 2) you're potential AMT (whether you're actually subject to it or not, I wasn't). I didn't get any credit for the charger install.

I can't imagine that TurboTax on the Mac is any different than on the PC so I'm surprised to see the posts indicating that TurboTax didn't support either or both of these forms. Using the EasyGuide, at one point TurboTax asked me if I had purchased an EV (was worded somewhat differently than that) so I said yes and proceeded to fill out the necessary information which BTW does require the VIN of your car and then as I proceeded it asked me about an alternative fueling station (again I think worded differently) so I plugged in my numbers here as well.

Don't know what to say for those having difficulties. Sorry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with HR Block (Taxcut) and they told me they DO NOT support 8936 and 8911 this year but they are looking to add it for next year.

Based on the last message it sounds like TurboTax will work (does the online version support the forms?). Or the free IRS electronic forms is another good option. Or paying someone to do my taxes for me.

Anyone use other online tax software that will work?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I just talked to H&R Block and they confirmed that they don't plan to support the 8936 form, so they refunded my money.

I don't need Form 8911, so I guess I will be going with TurboTax this year...

Any updates for 2011 tax year? I use Taxcut and it DOES NOT support 8936. They said to wait for it. If it wasn't supported last year I don't feel good about waiting this year.

Turbotax lists 8936 as supported but 8911 as NOT SUPPORTED.

What are you doing with your taxes this year?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just talked to H&R Block and they confirmed that they don't plan to support the 8936 form, so they refunded my money.

I don't need Form 8911, so I guess I will be going with TurboTax this year...
I just searched TurboTax site and it looks like both forms are supported in all versions (software and online). The not-supported list appears to be obsolete.

TurboTax it is then!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used H&R Block AtHome and manually entered the 7500.00 credit on line 53 of the 1040 and filled out Form 8936 from the IRS website. When you override the value it prevents you from eFile, but it will still allow you to print your return and mail it in the old fashioned way. I didn't really want to go through the hassle of getting a refund for the software and going to another program that supports it so I'll just wait 4 extra weeks to get my refund from Uncle Sam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts