GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
The three of you should definitely hash out the details/differences between your three Volts. If this problem is happening with three different cars, chances are low that it is a coincidence.
I agree that this is most probably not a coincidence. I am hoping that Chevrolet or a Volt advisor can take the lead on this to gather more information and diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I am sorry to those people who are tring to help, the dealer found some error codes and replaced the Body Control Module not the TPMS
then had trouble reprograming the system. the TPMS still does not work on the right rear tire.
There is currently a bit of an information "hole" in the reference and diagnostic processes for TPMS as published in the 2011-13 Volt electronic service info system.(no schematic, incomplete description & operation and functional summary, etc) It has even been suggested the use of the 2012 Cruze information may be neccessary until this is remedied. In the meantime there is a preliminary bulletin that discusses potential issues (and possible solutions) with the Volt TPMS. Have your dealer refer to PIC5604B. This bulletin calls for a series of tests to be performed with the potential replacement of the K77 Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) should they fail.

As far as having a non-functional FOB after replacing the BCM, the dealership SHOULD have contacted the owner to confirm that ALL FOBs were present during the programming process for the new BCM.
This is SOP for ANY BCM replacement so not sure where the comminication break-down took place.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great infoWOT, thank you. I emailed my Volt Advisor Kimberly with a link to this thread and received a reply from her this evening. She requested me to schedule an appointment with my dealer. She indicated to me that the Chevy engineering team is going to work with my dealer's mechanic to figure out the problem and get it fixed. I'll also update this post when I have an update.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I dropped off my car this morning and just talked to the service rep. He told me that the problem described by WOT above was happening, so they replaced the remote control door lock receiver and it should fix the problem. They are charing my car now and it should be read to pick up in a little while. Thanks again to WOT!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you WopOnTour brought your information PIC5604B to the dealer, they looked it up and after testing, changed out the RCDLR , so far so good, had the car a day so far and all is well.
I recommend that you others having the same problem show the dealer this information

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So is the tint officially "off the hook" as far as GM and the dealer are concerned? Being non-metallic, is sure doesn't seem like it should've been suspect... ever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So is the tint officially "off the hook" as far as GM and the dealer are concerned? Being non-metallic, is sure doesn't seem like it should've been suspect... ever.
Yes, the tint was never to blame. The installer I went with uses Johnson's Greystone tint (http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/GSN.php), and it specifically states that it does not interfere with signals of any kind.

Last Thursday after I dropped the car off, I received a call from the dealership's service manager. He tried to tell me that they had to remove the tint before doing anything else, so I told him "no, you don't" and gave him the same information and also the tinting company's phone number.

I had issues with the key fob range and the TPMS since I purchased my Volt and both issues were related to the bulletin WOT referenced above.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yes, the tint was never to blame. The installer I went with uses Johnson's Greystone tint (http://www.johnsonwindowfilms.com/GSN.php), and it specifically states that it does not interfere with signals of any kind.

Last Thursday after I dropped the car off, I received a call from the dealership's service manager. He tried to tell me that they had to remove the tint before doing anything else, so I told him "no, you don't" and gave him the same information and also the tinting company's phone number.

I had issues with the key fob range and the TPMS since I purchased my Volt and both issues were related to the bulletin WOT referenced above.

I think I can understand how the dealer techies can misdiagnose this problem without having the 'in-depth' knowledge and experience of the Volt's electrical systems; who would of thought that the TPMS would be tied in with a door locking system but of course I would not of suspected window tint either. I think sometimes we have to give these guys some slack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2014 Volt and it is having the same problem that has been described on this thread. The dealer was blaming my dashcam but after unplugging the dashcam the problem is still occurring. I am taking the car back into the dealer and will point out the service bulletin PIC5604B. Hopefully they can get this fixed.

3,608 Posts
I have a 2014 Volt and it is having the same problem that has been described on this thread. The dealer was blaming my dashcam but after unplugging the dashcam the problem is still occurring. I am taking the car back into the dealer and will point out the service bulletin PIC5604B. Hopefully they can get this fixed.
Hi mocnarf,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing concerns with your Volt. I see you already have an appointment scheduled with your dealership, but if I can provide additional support please let me know. I would just need you to private message me with a little more information regarding the vehicle concern, your VIN, contact information and the dealership you are working with. I hope to hear from you soon.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a very unhappy first-time Chevy owner

:( Here is my saga if anyone from GM cares to read/listen:

I sold my nearly perfect 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD and decided to invest in an American made car, and found the Volt to be a great option..... My brother has worked in a Chevy dealership for nearly 20 years and he finally convinced me to try.

7/2/2014 - I walk in to a Chevy dealership and decide to lease a base model Volt, mind you that despite confirming with the salesman on 3 different occasion that this model DID HAVE A navigation system, the next day after signing the lease I find out that NO, IT DOES NOT have a navigation system rather it has OnStar Turn-by-Turn service that in opinion is simply a joke compared to my ex-Toyota's 8 year-old navigation system :mad::mad::mad: Of course when I contact the dealership and speak with the salesman he basically tells me "you should have asked more questions as to what type of navigation system does it have" !!! :(:(:mad::mad:

7/6 while driving to downtown LA all of a sudden I get an error saying "Tire Pressure System Needs Service"... it starts noting that all of my tires have no pressure (dashes instead of pressure readings...) I get scared, pull over, and nothing is wrong :confused::confused: Get back in the car, drive for some time, then the error disappears.
For the next few days, these types of TPMS errors come and go, very random, etc....

7/16 I call the dealership, they ask me to bring the car in, I drop it off [with the TPMS error still on the dash], get a 2014 Volt loaner, and I go home
7/17 dealer calls me and says all errors have been corrected and I am ready to move on. I pick up the car in the afternoon, drive about 10 minutes, get on the freeway, and BOOM, here it is again........
7/18 I call the dealership, they ask me to drop it off over the weekend for "extensive testing".
7/21 service manager calls and says they can't find anything wrong, now he must call GM HQ for expert analysis.
7/22 service manager calls and tells me the following: "after detailed analysis GM believes that some electronic device that I own is causing these errors. This is not GM's fault, we can't fix a problem that we DON'T have, please come and pick up your car" !!!!!!!! WHAT :mad::mad::mad: How could this be !?!? Did I hear what I just hear !?!?
GM HQ telling me to just "live with" TPMS errors because something electronic that I have is causing this !?!?
I ask the service manager: "are you telling me that I should just accept these errors and ignore them because they are not legitimate, but are errors from my cell phone, laptop, etc... ?!?!", his reply "thats not what I am saying, thats what GM is telling me."

WOW !!! How disappointing !!! My first EVER American made car purchase and 2 weeks into ownership this is the level of customer service I get !!!!!

GM is telling me, in so many ways, to ignore Tire Pressure Monitor warnings while driving because they are not "real" !!!!

How bad is it in Detroit ?!?!? :mad::( Seriously GM, this is your COMEBACK to gain new customers and re-gain lost loyalties in safety and poor manufacturing.................I am not even going to touch the fact that I was ACTIVELY misled by GM salesman in making believe that the car I was signing a contract on HAD a navigation system.........

Now I have a brand new Volt that I can't store any of my personal electronic devices in while driving for the next 3 years............

Hi mocnarf,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing concerns with your Volt. I see you already have an appointment scheduled with your dealership, but if I can provide additional support please let me know. I would just need you to private message me with a little more information regarding the vehicle concern, your VIN, contact information and the dealership you are working with. I hope to hear from you soon.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

3,608 Posts
:( Here is my saga if anyone from GM cares to read/listen:

I sold my nearly perfect 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD and decided to invest in an American made car, and found the Volt to be a great option..... My brother has worked in a Chevy dealership for nearly 20 years and he finally convinced me to try.

7/2/2014 - I walk in to a Chevy dealership and decide to lease a base model Volt, mind you that despite confirming with the salesman on 3 different occasion that this model DID HAVE A navigation system, the next day after signing the lease I find out that NO, IT DOES NOT have a navigation system rather it has OnStar Turn-by-Turn service that in opinion is simply a joke compared to my ex-Toyota's 8 year-old navigation system :mad::mad::mad: Of course when I contact the dealership and speak with the salesman he basically tells me "you should have asked more questions as to what type of navigation system does it have" !!! :(:(:mad::mad:

7/6 while driving to downtown LA all of a sudden I get an error saying "Tire Pressure System Needs Service"... it starts noting that all of my tires have no pressure (dashes instead of pressure readings...) I get scared, pull over, and nothing is wrong :confused::confused: Get back in the car, drive for some time, then the error disappears.
For the next few days, these types of TPMS errors come and go, very random, etc....

7/16 I call the dealership, they ask me to bring the car in, I drop it off [with the TPMS error still on the dash], get a 2014 Volt loaner, and I go home
7/17 dealer calls me and says all errors have been corrected and I am ready to move on. I pick up the car in the afternoon, drive about 10 minutes, get on the freeway, and BOOM, here it is again........
7/18 I call the dealership, they ask me to drop it off over the weekend for "extensive testing".
7/21 service manager calls and says they can't find anything wrong, now he must call GM HQ for expert analysis.
7/22 service manager calls and tells me the following: "after detailed analysis GM believes that some electronic device that I own is causing these errors. This is not GM's fault, we can't fix a problem that we DON'T have, please come and pick up your car" !!!!!!!! WHAT :mad::mad::mad: How could this be !?!? Did I hear what I just hear !?!?
GM HQ telling me to just "live with" TPMS errors because something electronic that I have is causing this !?!?
I ask the service manager: "are you telling me that I should just accept these errors and ignore them because they are not legitimate, but are errors from my cell phone, laptop, etc... ?!?!", his reply "thats not what I am saying, thats what GM is telling me."

WOW !!! How disappointing !!! My first EVER American made car purchase and 2 weeks into ownership this is the level of customer service I get !!!!!

GM is telling me, in so many ways, to ignore Tire Pressure Monitor warnings while driving because they are not "real" !!!!

How bad is it in Detroit ?!?!? :mad::( Seriously GM, this is your COMEBACK to gain new customers and re-gain lost loyalties in safety and poor manufacturing.................I am not even going to touch the fact that I was ACTIVELY misled by GM salesman in making believe that the car I was signing a contract on HAD a navigation system.........

Now I have a brand new Volt that I can't store any of my personal electronic devices in while driving for the next 3 years............
Hello Vitorn,

I am terribly sorry you have experienced all of this since your purchase two weeks ago. On behalf of General Motors I would like to see what I can do to make this right for you. We value your business and want to keep that business. You have invested in one of the most technologically advanced vehicles in the market and we want to ensure that you are treated with exceptional customer care. Please send me a private message with your VIN and contact information so we can discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know.... what was the resolution to Vitorn's problem? It was resolved, correct?

I think that Vitorn was dealing with a dealer salesman, not a GM salesman. Let's make sure that the stones are thrown at the right people.

I'm nearing the end of my lease with the 2012 Volt and my anxiety level is increasing. Despite four visits to the dealer for significant problems over the nearly three years of driving, I love this car and really don't want to give it up!:( I would happily drive it for 10 or more years.

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know.... what was the resolution to Vitorn's problem? It was resolved, correct?

I think that Vitorn was dealing with a dealer salesman, not a GM salesman. Let's make sure that the stones are thrown at the right people.

I'm nearing the end of my lease with the 2012 Volt and my anxiety level is increasing. Despite four visits to the dealer for significant problems over the nearly three years of driving, I love this car and really don't want to give it up!:( I would happily drive it for 10 or more years.
Yes, it is always helpful when someone posts the resolution, not just the problem. We can only guess the OP's issue was repaired correctly thanks to Katie's (GM's) help, likely by "suggesting" the sub-par dealer follow the service bulletin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In case anyone else is having similar TPMS issues, I believe the service bulletin has been updated to PIC5604C. At least that is the service bulletin number my dealer referenced in regards to changing out the RCDLR for an intermittent TPMS dropout problem I was having.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.