GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my 3rd full recharge.
Under Module diagnostics->Hybrid power control module 2->data display->voltage data:
https://ibb.co/CPrbrby
Even at full charge, it's reporting 84% state of charge.
I don't know what the charge gauge is, but 100% probably means it's a new battery? Since I got it just replaced?
The capacity is 01EA, I wonder what it means.
Under Module diagnostics->Hybrid power control module 2->data display->temperature data:
https://ibb.co/cv70pXP
Somehow the battery 9 sensor is always 4 degrees above the other cells.
I have measured it multiple times. I wonder if there is a calibration process.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For a Gen 1 Volt, I would think a full charge would be at a raw ~84% of full capacity state of charge. A full charge would then show 100% on the DIC state of charge gauge (i.e., 10 green bars on the battery icon).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Indeed. 84 real battery = 100% usable

If you start the engine for heating, it could go a bit higher ( overcharge)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The capacity of 01EA looks like a hexidecimal number, which is equal to decimal 490. I don't know what the units would be. Apparently not the conventional kWh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 84% will go up on subsequent charges. I’ve seen mine in the high nineties plenty of times. 4.04v is nearly 100% charged. 96%? As for the temp sensor 9 being 4C above the rest, You might consider getting that documented by the dealer who installed your battery. If I’m remembering correctly, 3C is what the book say the max difference should be. I wouldn’t be too worried about it but I would have them acknowlege that it is the case.

Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Usually, for calculation energy in w*h from battery capacity in A*h used battery nominal voltage. For li-ion cell it's 3.6 or 3.7v.
Battery has 4.04V only when starting discharge... And power will be 4.04V * 49A for example. But in end of discharge, power will be 3.2V * 49A... So the 3.7 is approximately middle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Did you, or whoever changed the pack, clear the old pack data and initiate the relearn process using GDS2?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did not clear any data. I did not see any way to do that. After I installed the pack I let it adjust itself. Just for kicks I did the relearn process a month after I swapped the pack but I didn't notice any difference. I am going to look into the hexadecimal number when the car returns to Texas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
interesting! Why 3.7 Volt? Charged battery is 4.04V, right?
As far as I know, kWh is determined by using nominal cell voltage. Also, on the Volt I always saw 4.07v per cell group hot off the charger. My Bolt EV charges up to 4.17v per cell group at 100% which is too high if you let it sit around. The Bolt charges only to ~4.0V per cell at Hilltop Reserve charge. That's what we use when not imminently going out of town. When using it in town we let it run down to 100 miles of range left and then recharge using the Hilltop Reserve setting. Of topic, I know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did not clear any data. I did not see any way to do that. After I installed the pack I let it adjust itself. Just for kicks I did the relearn process a month after I swapped the pack but I didn't notice any difference. I am going to look into the hexadecimal number when the car returns to Texas.
I’d have to pull out my VCX Nano and GDS2 to find the button locations. But, before doing the relearn you definitely want to clear the stored battery data. It’s somewhere in the HPCM2 or BCM controls in GDS2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts