GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light is on in my car and I'd like to know if there's a way to read the codes from the display. It's under warranty and I'll be scheduling a trip to the dealer to fix it. In the meantime, for curiosities sake, I'm interested in knowing why it came on all of a sudden (worked fine this morning, parked it, and then it came on when I left for lunch...weird).

·
Registered
571 Posts
The modules in the car have permanent codes and transient codes. (So some come and go.)

The module that stores the code is not integrated with the display except for the "dummy light" that signals to check for codes. Some older GM models had a function where the codes could be flashed out on the dash lights in a Morse code like method, but I haven't see a procedure like that for the Volt.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information. I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. It appears the issue is related to the ICE as it drove fine on battery.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you have OnStar, push the OnStar button and they will send it to your email.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just about any local auto parts store will also come out to your car, plug a reader in, and then provide you with the trouble codes for free. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/storeservices

^ This could save you from paying the stealership for something easy.
It's under the bumper to bumper warranty so I have nothing to lose. I'd take it to the auto parts store to have them read the codes but I figured it's not worth it since I will be taking it to the dealer anyway. Just thought if the car provided the ability to view them without a code reader I'd check it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Went to take it in to the dealer this morning and the light is no longer on. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about why it illuminated to begin with.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
676 Posts
Thanks for the information. However I do not have OnStar.
Update: Went to take it in to the dealer this morning and the light is no longer on. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about why it illuminated to begin with.
The code will still be there, it is now a "history" code.

If you press the OnStar button, they will offer you a free trial. Sign up for that, then they will transfer you to the department that will tell you the code. The dealer should have that code on your invoice for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Jay. Since it is under warranty I am having the dealer handle it. I was interested in the codes when the check engine light initially illuminated but more of a curiosity while I was waiting to take it in to the dealer. I'm still interested given the light is now out but will wait to hear what they have to say.

When the issue occurred the electrical drive appeared to be fine. I put it in Hold mode and the ICE began to cycle instead of remaining running. So I suspect it has something to do with the ICE engine.

I'll update this post once the dealer has identified the reasons (he said there were several codes set) for the light.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update 2: The dealer called and informed me one of the hybrid modules needs to be replaced. He didn't know which module (apparently there are over a dozen of them) so I won't have details until the work is complete.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Update much appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I wanted to circle back on this to provide a final resolution. The dealer diagnosed the issue as a faulty "Drive Motor Generator Power/Inverter Module" and therefore replaced it. There is a note on the repair order that this was done per SI#4229740 so this may be a known issue (I haven't read the SI details).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts