GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would follow up with the Volt community about charging problems I was having at public (Chargepoint) charging stations. When I first got my 2013 volt it was charging at home and at public stations just fine. After about two weeks it stopped charging at public stations but was charging at home only. I kept getting an error message at the Chargepoint station saying "station activated- waiting for vehicle".

I took it to the dealer and they tested it on their charger and it charged just fine so they told me to call Chargepoint. To make a long story short Chargepoint told me to check the charging port in my car for any obstruction and sure enough there was a small piece of broken plastic from the Chevy supplied charger in it which was abstructing the public chargers from making full "click" contact. Once I removed it it has been charging just fine.

Apparently they have been getting a lot of these calls so if your volt is not charging at public stations when it was before, check the chargeport for any obstructions.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
picture please

·
Administrator
20,151 Posts
Thanks for the tip. It's possible the plastic tip broke off due to the angle and force of insertion. From my experience it seems like sliding it straight in and out would not put enough force on the piece to break it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have problems with the 120v plugs getting stuck in my charging port . My 240v Blink seems to do fine .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
J1772 broken latch

AHA!! So THAT's what happened to that little catch at the end of the latch! I noticed several weeks ago it was broken off, but charging was going ok. We have a tight fit in the garage, so pulling the J1772 out of the charge port is always a "task". I wiggle it up and down or back and forth ...and the result is shown below.

Upon reading the posts above, I took my little headlamp and peered into the charging port on the Volt. There it was:

It at the 6:30 position, just above the O and L of the "VOLTEC" letters:

And here is the charging cord J1772 unit, with the broken piece.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks for the post but that's not been my problem.

Mine works fine in most public chargers but there are 2 that report charging.. for about 5 seconds, then say fully charged and disengage. They are free and have no number on them to call so I've not had any luck in debugging.
Anyone else ever seen anything like that?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Instructions for my Voltec level 2 charger say to plug back into the charger when not plugged into the car. Seems that would double the wear on that lock. The Chargepoint design is different. Better? I don't have a Chargepoint nearby to see. My favorite is 35 miles away from home.

·
Registered
906 Posts
the 120 volt charger that was supplied with my volt is VERY TIGHT plugging and unplugging.. I could see how it would be extremely easy to break if you wiggled it at all to unplug or plug it in... my L2 watt station and all the public chargers i use fit in and out easily..
-Christopher

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that's exactly what my fragment looked like except it was at the 12 o'clock position. Yours must have fallen down to 6o'clock position while driving or something. I'm glad this post helped some people!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the post but that's not been my problem.

Mine works fine in most public chargers but there are 2 that report charging.. for about 5 seconds, then say fully charged and disengage. They are free and have no number on them to call so I've not had any luck in debugging.
Anyone else ever seen anything like that?
I would try to find out who the vendor is and google them and see if any contact info comes up. At least they are free and you're not losing any money on the failed charge

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just a bump for this thread. This was exactly my problem and it is so common sense I'm embarrassed I didn't figure it out

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes, I literally had to shave a bit of plastic on mine to make it fit better because the socket in my car used to "groan" from stress when I was pushing it in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had the same problem yesterday. Charging fine now at the public charging stations. Thought I was going to need the ICE but it started to charge. I was next to a Leaf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts