GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This IS the next BIG thing even for NON automotive use.

* Just imagine you can fast charge your smart phone in minutes along with x2 the current capacity.
Amazing!

I disregard many of the news reports from American researchers on batteries as they are usually only scientific rumors or someone trying to hype up BS to get funding or increase their companies stock worth.

So it is with great interest the JAPANESE are in the battery race now confirmed!
The no nonsense battery manufactures include GSYuasa & non automotive companies Hitachi and Asahi Kasei.

Two things out of this:
It is for real and do able.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20171231_14/

I say bring it & take my my money (Can convert to Yen if need be :) )

·
8,680 Posts
Solid state has been one of the front runners for the next generation technology for some time now. I'll believe it's truly imminent when a phone maker releases a phone with it - they have higher margins and benefit significantly more from what it is supposed to offer, while not needing as much longevity, so it seems obvious that the new tech will appear in phones before cars - possibly by a couple years or more.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
“Early 2020s” = the generally overused promise of “in 5 years”. And they need more engineers to generate ideas? Sounds like way longer than five years.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Successful professors are usually pretty good at hype, it takes $$$ to run a research group.

Agree, new tech will show up in small scale devices long before it's in a production car. We'll be driving Li batteries for quite a while I think.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
“Early 2020s” = the generally overused promise of “in 5 years”. And they need more engineers to generate ideas? Sounds like way longer than five years.
five years is ... almost always optimistic. It's usually about 8 from announcement of "Real Soon New Battery Tech OMG" to commercial availability of cells, and another five after that before systems are built around those cells, *PRESUMING* they provide enough advantage over the prior in terms of a combination a) cost, b) energy density *and* c) safety to make the change worth it. Especially energy density.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I recall reading in Popular Mechanics and other similar type of publications when I was in high school in the 1960's about so called miracle batteries that never seen the light of day...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This IS the next BIG thing even for NON automotive use.

* Just imagine you can fast charge your smart phone in minutes along with x2 the current capacity.
Amazing!

I disregard many of the news reports from American researchers on batteries as they are usually only scientific rumors or someone trying to hype up BS to get funding or increase their companies stock worth.

So it is with great interest the JAPANESE are in the battery race now confirmed!
The no nonsense battery manufactures include GSYuasa & non automotive companies Hitachi and Asahi Kasei.

Two things out of this:
It is for real and do able.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20171231_14/

I say bring it & take my my money (Can convert to Yen if need be :) )
GM has been into it with Sakti3. Now Sakti3 belongs to Dyson, and Dyson has announced that they're entering the EV Race and will produce cars based on Solid State Batteries. Toyota is also developing or partnering with others to develop solid state batteries, and of course Panasonic, the supplier of Tesla batteries are also into it, and plus other newcomers.

Solid State batteries are racing towards commercialization.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
And don't forget the glass solid state battery announced by Goodenough, who has a very strong track record. Seems like we'll end up with at least one solid state battery, and likely several. Will be a big deal if and when it happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hitachi has a large automotive business. I worked for a company that was purchased 100% by Hitachi and the entire company was automotive. Tokico (shocks and brakes).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts