GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm not sure how many Australian owners still follow the forum, but I ended up selling my Volt today. The best I could get was $9500 from the novated lease company as I'm at the end of the contract, but since the rego, insurance and next service were almost due, I suppose that offset it a bit.

I thought about privately selling, but the fact the battery warranty was about to run out, the lack of service centres and the unknowns about continued support locally, all made it a problematic decision to hang on to try and squeeze a bit more money out, particularly since the other expenses were coming up.

We're quite disappointed as we fully intended to keep the car long term, but since Holden discontinued the Volt I was really struggling to find any dealerships that even wanted to make an offer. Most made offers at less than half what we got in the end, and pointed to the lack of info about the cars being for sale in Australia, since they come up so infrequently. Not even the Holden dealerships we went to that previously sold Volts were interested. We could tell they wanted to go nowhere near it. Quite a shame.

Anyway, it's been a great 5 years. I've really appreciated everyone's input and advice over that time, and for those of you who are still hanging on, I wish you all the best. I really hope that Holden does the right thing when the time comes for out of warranty work. The Volt was a fantastic car, and it was a sad trip down to the auction house today to drop it off. That said, it's done now and I'm moving on.

regards,

craby

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad you had a relatively good run, and very sorry to lose a local member.

What is your new ride?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Longflare,

Yes we had a great run in the Volt. With the exception of a minor leak in a front wheel joint that was fixed at the last service, I don't recall having a spanner on it from the time we picked it up.

We ended up with a Kia Optima GT. As much as we loved the Volt, we really needed the 5th seat as the kids got older and more room in the backseat and boot, and the Optima is quite a large car so it fits the bill. I thought about hanging on to look at a Model 3 or the new Leaf, but they still haven't arrived yet and we had to make a decision now.

The new car is quite good with lots of bells and whistles (the self steering feature is a bit odd at first), but we really wanted the 7 year unlimited k warranty and local servicing. 7 years of RACQ and capped price servicing was pretty nice too. At least we won't have to drive 2 hours to Brisbane and wait around all day anymore. That said, the days of having such a cheap car to run like the Volt are over that's for sure. The Optima seems to sit on about 8l/100 so it's not too bad I suppose. We almost hit 146,000kms in our Volt when I dropped it off, with a 2.8l/100 lifetime. That said, for the first 100,000 we sat at 1.3l/100 but it changed a bit when we moved west and couldn't make the return trip to work on a charge.

The Optima's ride is quite firm unfortunately compared to the Volt, but otherwise it seems good. We've only had it since Monday but the wife is happy so I guess that's the main thing since it'll be mum's taxi like the Volt was.

regards,

·
Registered
655 Posts
Wow sorry to see you go but I am not surprised as it is a logical step for your families situation.
I was offered 10K AUD trade in for a Mazda MX-5 and a Holden dealer offered 18K for an Australian Built Commodore - last year.
The difference is I only had 26K on the clock doing short distances = 0.5L/100 life time :), so in the end will keep it till it becomes a non drive able museum piece from Old age or some texting driver moron wipes it out.
It all depends on future parts availability and state dealer support from GM which I have serious concerns over along with the Holden brand staying viable in Australia thanks to GM's conga line of product bungles in recent years.
The plus side is the battery is defiantly holding up & the vehicle is very reliable.... the running cost is minimal, but the depreciation is just insane like most EV's to the point my total cost would be the same or more expensive than owning a Land-cruiser petrol V8.
However everyday I do appreciate the smooth EV drive and regen, plus being one of the first earlier adopters when most people could not understand or get their brain around the Voltec system.
The best is that with Solar panels on the house and level 2 charger - one can drive on Sunshine and you just can't beet that along with the clean air. :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey craby,

mind if i ask what color your Holden Volt was? I bought a high mileage Volt that looks like it originated in QLD, before ending up in Melbourne with Victorian plates.....i wonder if i ended up with your one!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts