GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the likelihood that the solar tax credit gets renewed past this year? If it does, when will we know?

Also, if I understand it correctly, I don't have to claim the full tax credit this year. I am allowed to break it up over several years. Is that right?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given that it was already extended at the end of last year, I'd put the odds right in the vicinity of 100%, give or take. :p

http://news.energysage.com/congress-extends-the-solar-tax-credit/

I believe you're right about being able to carry over some of the credit if it exceeds your liability. Not certain how that works tho. But I bet Google does. ;)
Thanks. I guess I should have just done some digging (searched) myself. Some of the solar retailers were announcing as though this was the "last" year solar tax credits had been renewed, but the might have just "forgotten" to update their info pages.

The reason I asked about breaking up the tax credit (which I know is possible) had more to do with what would happen in the year that the credit was no longer available. It wouldn't make sense that you could continue claiming it if the credit expired. Regardless, it looks like that isn't a concern.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The legislation also lifted a 40-year ban on exports of crude oil produced in the U.S. In exchange for lifting the ban, Democrats pushed for multi-year extensions of renewable energy tax credits and demanded that Republicans strip out any riders that would weaken environmental laws.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We took delivery of our Volt in the same month that our array went live. TurboTax calculated the Volt credit first, deferred the difference of the solar credit to the next year, and captured the remaining solar credit on our third return.

I recall that I made sure that I entered the Volt first, but I'm not sure whether that was necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts