GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boulder installed some solar-powered charging stations built by Envision Solar International. The solar-powered stations do not need to be connected to the grid. I dream of these being available at national forest wilderness trailheads and within our national parks. https://bouldercolorado.gov/photo-gallery/photoshow/?photo_id=13955407761&set_id=72157632694365137 ChargePoint and Envision Solar are also partnering:

"SAN DIEGO, CALIF. – Envision Solar International, Inc., (OTCQB: EVSI) (“Envision Solar,” or the “Company”), the leading renewable energy, media and branding and EV charging product company and ChargePoint, the world’s largest EV charging network, are pleased to announce a new partnership agreement.

The agreement covers the US and Canada and will enable both companies to offer ChargePoint chargers on Envision Solar’s solar powered EV charging products. ChargePoint’s rapidly growing customer base will be able to access EV charging in locations where it is too difficult or expensive to install utility grid-tied units. The EVs charged on ChargePoint and Envsion’s combined products will be truly emissions free and their owners will enjoy the fun and environmentally excellent experience of driving on sunshine.

“ChargePoint is thrilled to be working with Envision Solar to bring this new product to our customers. With the EV ARC™, Envision Solar is helping ChargePoint and the rest of the industry continue the growth of electric vehicles,” said Pasquale Romano, CEO of ChargePoint. “Businesses can reduce their costs while giving their employees and customers a clean way to charge their cars.”

“The combination of the EV ARC™ and the ChargePoint network is very powerful,” said Desmond Wheatley, CEO of Envision Solar. “Together we are providing no hassle deployments in minutes, driving on sunshine and the largest EV charging network in the world. We see this as a great opportunity to expand both businesses.”

·
Registered
878 Posts
This sounds like a "for show" type station that feels good and green, but probably won't be viable in the long run. FCDC is going to be difficult to support with solar-powered-only stations. It takes a ton of panels and fixed battery storage to support even one FCDC 50 kW charger that sees a stream of EV's charging at all hours of the day and night. That Boulder station can't even have 2 kW of panels, barely enough to support one L1 AC charger on a sunny day.

Nothing charges like a 480 volt, three phase, 400 amp service connection to the grid. Grid connections are vital in the long term to EV charging stations, once EV's go mainstream.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm all for Solar, but those Envision systems cost more than the car! And they don't do DCFC.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This is a nice sounding thing to do, but in practice isn't working real well. The comments on plug share speak for themselves.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I clicked on the link. And unless I am looking at the wrong photos, this place is surrounded by electricity. Everything about this is wrong, wrong, wrong....this should be tied into the grid without any type of battery backup (maybe it is tied to the grid, but if so, why all the extra expense??). This is waste at its best. Currently, you would only consider using batteries for this type of setup if being grid tied is not an option. What was the cost on these? I am missing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts