GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a plan to add a charging kit like solar cells (or some other renewable power source) to the volt. ie. somone takes their volt to work and pulls out a solar array and lets the car charge while at work or home. This would be a nice accessory.

regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Solar to charge Volt

I have Solar :) on my home and am waiting for a PHEV or PEV to come along. I plan on tapping my home to "fuel" my car and get myself off oil as much as possible. I hope there will be adapters for 110, 220 and the places in CA that have Plug-In stations, for example Costco and Long Beach Public Parking have plugs to use.

If I remember right when I saw a prototype Volt at the LA autoshow, it had the ability to plug in for a charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my fuel cell & battery class I am taking now, I just learned that Li ions batteries are suggested to be stored around 58 degrees F to try and reach a 5 year life span. Excess heat (like parking outside in hot climates to charge via solar) suggests the life span of the battery will be shortened greatly (no greater than 3 years).

Now, granted, there are tons of Li based batteries, but that was a general assumption on all Li based batteries. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
solar

I currently have 325 watts of solar panels on the roof of my RV. This year, I will install solar on the roof of my RV port to power my 880 sq foot home and recharge the batteries on my RV while it is under said roof.
There is no reason that I cannot provide a plug to charge the batteries in my NEV and in any phev that I purchase in the future.
Can panels survive driving down the road, sure, thousands of us have them on our Rvs but they would look pretty clunky on the Volt. Perhaps the new film type panels or even panels molded into the body would be appropriate. However, living in SW Texas, I don't put my vehicles out in the sun when parked.
My plug in scheme from solar on the roof of my RV port/house would be the best option. I'm looking foward to viable PHEV to complement my NEV which is basically a golf cart on steroids. Come on VOLT!

·
3,689 Posts
I currently have 325 watts of solar panels on the roof of my RV. This year, I will install solar on the roof of my RV port to power my 880 sq foot home and recharge the batteries on my RV while it is under said roof.
There is no reason that I cannot provide a plug to charge the batteries in my NEV and in any phev that I purchase in the future.
Can panels survive driving down the road, sure, thousands of us have them on our Rvs but they would look pretty clunky on the Volt. Perhaps the new film type panels or even panels molded into the body would be appropriate. However, living in SW Texas, I don't put my vehicles out in the sun when parked.
My plug in scheme from solar on the roof of my RV port/house would be the best option. I'm looking foward to viable PHEV to complement my NEV which is basically a golf cart on steroids. Come on VOLT!

I'm also a fan of carports with solar panels. You could cover many ugly parking lots in the world with solar paneled carports that provide shelter for people and cars. The car sits under the protection of the carport happily charging away. No pollution so the environment under the canopy would be very pleasant. A good architect could make a nature park out of the situation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It does depend on your home location, angle to the sun, etc.... But, I would think it would be best for you to just add a solar panel system to your roof and create electricity at home, or even one of those home wind generators, if your home is in a wind-rich area.

Anything you generate at home will credit to your electricity bill. Generate enough and you get a near-zero bill, even charging your volt at night!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solar Cells

This sounds good. Anything to get more people locked into a lower rate and off the grid is a good thing... However, there are so many "pyramid scheme" type cost offsetting solar companies out there, that I cant help be a little skeptical.

http://www.goinggreenbuzz.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my fuel cell & battery class I am taking now, I just learned that Li ions batteries are suggested to be stored around 58 degrees F to try and reach a 5 year life span. Excess heat (like parking outside in hot climates to charge via solar) suggests the life span of the battery will be shortened greatly (no greater than 3 years).

Now, granted, there are tons of Li based batteries, but that was a general assumption on all Li based batteries. :(
That's why I prefer NiMHs. I hope they have fixed that for the Volt.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That is in all likelihood refering to LiCo batteries stored at or close to 100% SOC. This has no direct relation to either of the battery chemistries being considered for the Volt. This is not to say that battery life is not a concern. It is a huge issue and is the reason that they are only projecting a ceiling of 80% on the SOC and they are planning on liquid cooling.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well maybe there is something innovative like prolonging the life of the batteries that the solar power could be used for as well as keeping the inside of the car from reaching 140 degrees when parked in the sun. It just isn't going to be very beneficial for powering the car (charging the batteries) for those that have short commutes.

·
3,689 Posts
Well maybe there is something innovative like prolonging the life of the batteries that the solar power could be used for as well as keeping the inside of the car from reaching 140 degrees when parked in the sun. It just isn't going to be very beneficial for powering the car (charging the batteries) for those that have short commutes.

Yes. We have discussed at length that due to the inefficiencies of current solar technology and also their price that justification will not be made due to range extension alone. While one can get around 6 miles a day on a sunny day in Texas that alone will not justify current costs. However, it is the added new functionality that the SOTS technology brings that is intriguing. Were you aware that the lithium-ion battery pack will require constant power for it's management system? They are active at all times. That alone with security systems and other monitoring systems may slowly drain the charge over time. We also talked about cabin environment conditioning systems.

It may be a luxury option at first but I would rather pay for SOTS than say for leather seats. We all know that very few people purchase a car based solely on cost. If they did most people would be driving Geo Metros. That’s why I make the argument for having solar cells as an option. It adds value to my purchase like a stereo would add value to someone else‘s. Putting them in as standard equipment would only cause the already high cost of the vehicle to be even more out of reach but for those that consciously select different options from two-tone paint to big wheels I think SOTS as an option has a market. Besides, to me it can bring about functionality that would be difficult to justify without intermittent supplies of energy into the battery pack, especially in remote locations for extended amounts of time. I travel a lot and I might want to check the condition of my Volt or have it let me know if there is a problem. Telling my Volt via my phone 30 minutes before I arrive to start cooling the cabin would also be a great application (in Texas the car cabin can reach over 120 degrees in the summer). It is these new functions that actually advance personal transportation beyond what could be done with ICE based vehicles. To me that is very interesting.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like the glass top. I hope it darkens in the sun. It would get hot otherwise. It is almost like a convertable without the cloth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In most cases I don't believe in government getting into private business but the way things are going right now how about them getting into the solar panel business and getting a low cost electric panel to every home in America

·
3,689 Posts
Mr. Lutz talks about the Volt having solar roof option! Way to go Bob! Please put me on the list for that option.

For those who are not convinced, I am going to bring forward a few more of the threads that deal with this topic. SOTS (Solar on the Surface) is not just for moving the car forward. There are many that want to tell you it's not cost effective or that it has no use. Please go through the treads and make up your own mind. Why do they hate solar so much? Why do they feel people only buy cars or select options based only on cost (are we all driving Geo Metros?) is beyond me. Enjoy and welcome to the solar club!

·
Registered
125 Posts
not for me but might be great for some

I would really like solar to be an option. I would also like people to understand its limitations.

For me (in my current situation) in Houston, I don't generally park in direct sunlight. My parking spot at home is on the north side of the house, and the street in front of my house is mostly covered by trees. It also rains a fair amount here (not just including that brief wind storm we had a week ago). At work I do get some better exposure, but not enough. Besides, as omegaman66 pointed out previously, exposing the car to direct sunlight increases the temperature, which I then have to dissipate via A/C or sweat.

That being said, I recently accepted a position in Colorado. It doesn't rain nearly as much and in general it is easy to find parking that is exposed to sunlight. There are many portions of the year where you want your car to be warmed by the direct sunlight. If when the Volt appears, it comes with a solar option I will consider it.

One other thing that Texas hasn't mentioned on the benefits of the optional solar, is that it provides some redundancy. In essence you never run out of gas (well in direct sunlight at least).

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I hope that GM's engineers are smart enough to know that supplemental power can also be had while driving the car in sunlight. Every little bit helps, so don't turn off the solar when there is light and the car is moving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Russia!

Hello from Russia!

Hello All! My name is Yuri.
I am from Moscow.
I am President a Public association of owners of electric cars of the UIS countries. Here our sites and forums: Electrotransport.ru
We very like electric cars.
Russian and Ukrainian electric cars proprietors are ready to cooperation, to exchange of experience, and to interaction.
We also will establish references to your forums.

Best Regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts