GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solar panels installed in the United States more than doubled from 2010 to 2011. California leads the way. Clean energy, what's not to like?

I'm sure some of that PV electricity is fueling cars even as you read this.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_20169605/solar-installations-doubled-last-year

On the other hand, as one human etch-a-sketch noted: "you can’t drive a car with a windmill on it" when he attacked all solar or wind initiatives, and that those who view solar as an energy source "live in an imaginary world". I'd rather have people who have imagination than someone who lacks it. America was built by people with imagination after all.

http://thinkprogress.org/green/2012/03/06/438121/romneys-latest-clean-energy-attack-you-cant-drive-a-car-with-a-windmill-on-it/

pv.jpg

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I was looking at Solar Module (panel) prices on www.wholesalesolar.com the other night and what used to be $500-550 per panel are now in the low $300's. Amazing prices.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
It's great isn't it. Just waiting on the permits for my 3290 watt add to support the Volt Charging and none to soon as about half of my telecommuting days are about over. That will at least double my miles and charging.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'll be the glass half empty kinda guy and point out that my state, the SUNSHINE State, couldn't even break the top ten. It makes me want to puke. We got beat by Nevada??? Holy crap.

Nope, our state elects a punchline for Governor (Rick Scott) and reneged on paying millions of dollars in promised solar rebates. Well, I did my part, with 5 kw installed in 2009, 13 kw installed in 2010 (at office) and 2 kw installed in 2011. After geothermal, I will solarize NY home too, (but they appear to get it up in NYS).

Solar + Volt = Driving Nirvana. Who cares if you floor it from a stop light? I waste nothing. I must say that from a jack rabbit start standpoint, I have never, in my life, driven this wantonly.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sweet - and my homestead is right there on the numbers - I about doubled capacity recently. I hope to post pictures of the upgrade when it is finished, but things are looking very good for solar powered cars (and homesteads). In some cases, I've been able to hack more than one full charge range, all solar, in a day, perhaps 70 mi or so - timing my errands. That's with the panels just laying on the ground - the current project is getting them mounted in the sky.

This is one of those things that takes awhile to really sink in. Yeah, the theory was nice, and I've been off the grid, better and worse, for quite awhile - maybe 35 years. And we lived with what we could produce, sometimes doing things that felt like sacrificing. Or spending all too much money on gasoline backups - when there was spare money.

But power's just like money. Spend a little more than you make, you're poor. Spend a little less, and suddenly, you're rich. That last doubling finally got the solar to that point. Now, I'm not only solar charging the car about as much as I need to drive it, but also not needing gas backup for the home in strings of cloudy days, either - I'm sure there will be times, but it'll be months between, not days as it was.

Solar rocks.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Every home with a PV system is a perfect opportunity for selling a Volt! Anyone with a solar system is into the technology and is looking at total cost of ownership. And has enough money to indulge a little!

@DCFusor -- congrats on your new found riches!

·
Registered
167 Posts
On the other hand, as one human etch-a-sketch noted: "you can’t drive a car with a windmill on it" when he attacked all solar or wind initiatives, and that those who view solar as an energy source "live in an imaginary world". I'd rather have people who have imagination than someone who lacks it. America was built by people with imagination after all.
This reminds me of an amazing feat I read about a couple of years ago when someone proved you CAN make a car with a windmill on it, and in fact it can go faster than the wind. You can read about it here: Wind-Powered Car Travels Downwind Faster Than the Wind. Pretty cool stuff, albeit totally impractical.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Every home with a PV system is a perfect opportunity for selling a Volt! Anyone with a solar system is into the technology and is looking at total cost of ownership. And has enough money to indulge a little!

@DCFusor -- congrats on your new found riches!
Yep on board with DCFusor on this one, The lack of that monthly power bill would make the lease payment on a Volt here on average. Granted AZ does get some support from the Utility but not much anymore, like way less than a buck a watt now. Most Solar setups here stand on there own now with the reduction in component costs and the competition to stay alive in the business.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Steve

Thanks for posting
Puts a smile on my face about SOLAR increasing so much. DUH it is FREE energy for 30-40-50 years once installed and paid for.
I would think every VOLT owner would be a potential SOLAR client

Imagination /risk / Progress I love it

Someone posted this recently worth a watch of Captain James T Kirk of USS Enterprise "Risk is our business"
Dont be timid and drive an ICE!!

Peace

Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toG6aSQFF7Y

1 - 9 of 9 Posts