GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Solar Charge

Why couldn't an enterprising engineer-inventor design and market a solar car cover ? That would have a lot more surface area and could be moved from car to car. Yes, there are cable locks that could wrap under the car to secure them from theft. Also pointed out in the threads alluded to..... if one is at the limit of the daily commute range, the extra 5/7 miles could take you totally off the fumes.... That would apply to ................................... me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Why couldn't an enterprising engineer-inventor design and market a solar car cover?
Actually, thats a great idea.
Up until the advent of thin film solar, such an idea of a solar car cover would be near impossible.
But now, something like that is easily doable.
Not only that, but a car cover has a lot surface area, more than the car that its covering does.
Doubtful that even a solar car cover, if left in the sun all day, would be able to bring the Volt's battery to full charge.
But at least it would give the Volt's battery some charge, and since it still fulfills the role of a cover as well, it would also serve to keep the vehicle interior cool.

p.s.
Opec Sucks is an awesome user name.

·
3,689 Posts
Mr. Lutz talks about the Volt having solar roof option! Way to go Bob! Please put me on the list for that option.

For those who are not convinced, I am going to bring forward a few more of the threads that deal with this topic. SOTS (Solar on the Surface) is not just for moving the car forward. There are many that want to tell you it's not cost effective or that it has no use. Please go through the treads and make up your own mind. Why do they hate solar so much? Why do they feel people only buy cars or select options based only on cost (are we all driving Geo Metros?) is beyond me. Enjoy and welcome to the solar club!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts