GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Envision Solar Charging Stations seem to be an intelligent system. No need for excavation and grid wiring. No building permits. No limitations on remote charging. There should be a future demand for this kind of station. I can imagine situations where solar is cheaper than connecting to the grid. I can dream of being able to drive to wilderness trailheads and charging my Volt while I go hiking for the day.

·
Registered
907 Posts
$42K for a 3.4KW system? Not for me.

I actually have a system that does pulse charging of the car from small panels. But you still need a lot of panel area to make this remotely feasible. A single large panel of 250W rating might be able to accumulate about 1KWHr per day (annual average for fixed tilt, depending on location), so you'd need 10 of those panels for a full recharge, in one sunny day. And you have to accumulate the energy in a separate battery before bursting it into the cars J1772 port. Volts 12V battery could be used as that accumulator, but it then becomes a wear item.

DCFC gives us another option to trickle charge HV DC into the car, as the charger can be customized to work with solar panels at low power levels. But who wants to wait 5 days to recharge your car?

Now if I could buy a lightweight panel of 10'x10' that maybe folds up small, things might get interesting. I have a 60W folding panel that is fun to play with, not really useful for automotive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts