1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
I took my volt to Golconda, IL to see totality. Getting there wasn't any problem, but getting out was a nightmare. The small highways were moving along, but every time we approached a small town with a stop sign or stop light, traffic backed up for miles. My 4 hour one-way trip home became a 7 hour adventure without any stops to recharge the battery (I did refuel multiple times just to make sure we didn't run out of gas - there were news articles prior to the eclipse predicting fuel shortages near totality, but every place we stopped had fuel)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took my volt to Golconda, IL to see totality. Getting there wasn't any problem, but getting out was a nightmare. The small highways were moving along, but every time we approached a small town with a stop sign or stop light, traffic backed up for miles. My 4 hour one-way trip home became a 7 hour adventure without any stops to recharge the battery (I did refuel multiple times just to make sure we didn't run out of gas - there were news articles prior to the eclipse predicting fuel shortages near totality, but every place we stopped had fuel)
I went to Shenandoah with the family and wife's mother and FIL. Only about 85% eclipse over there, but at least there wasn't much traffic. Managed to get the Bolt charged up at the visitor center's 1 charging station while hanging out for the eclipse. Meanwhile, the Volt was burning the dino juice....and evidently picking up a razor blade in the right rear. Doh!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Other than the poor Nebraska State Trooper who was told to go control traffic at an intersection in the middle of nowhere but wasn't taught how to do so properly the only places I had issues with traffic were two construction zones and the town of North Platte. North Platte still has the one-horse mentality that stop lights are supposed to stop everyone all the time.

As for the lines at the Superchargers, I had no lines at any of the three Shell stations I stopped at. As I posted in yesterday's lead story, ICE remains king in middle America when it comes to transportation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
For traveling beyond EV range, I'll stick with an ICE or PHEV for the foreseeable future.

Copy/paste from the Tesla forum:

Left San Francisco at 6:30 am Sat, short wait at Corning (100% Of people I met heading to OR for the eclipse). Mt. Shasta mobbed, 2hr wait, 1hr charge = 3hrs. Grant's pass no wait, same with Springfield (Eugene). Arrived Salem 10:00pm. In Salem, charged at (free) Chademo Charger behind Capitol building--no other EV's around. Spectacular Eclipse on Monday. Near gridlock on I-5 southbound, nav system routed me through back roads--not much better. Springfield Supercharger mobbed (serving #14, we would have been #36). Opted to charge at the (single and vacant) Aerovironment Chademo charger about a block away. Passed up Grant's Pass (mistake). Attempted to charge at Aerovironment Chademo near Ashland, wouldn't work despite numerous re-boots. Had to backtrack 18 mi. to Central Pt. Same problem, it would try to start then kick-out. Uh-oh, stress building, wouldn't make it to any Superchargers, motel stay and level 2 charge wouldn't do, kid needed to get to school on Tuesday, having already missed Monday 1st day of school. Then it dawned on me: Watts=Volts x Amps. High voltage (350 - 400V DC), lower amps still delivers high wattage. So I lowered the amperage setting in the car to 30 and voila it worked==WHEW!! Checked Mt Shasta Supercharger; full with some waiting, so made the run to Corning. 1:30 am, all stalls full, one waiting, but I was able to start charging after 15 min wait. Arrived home 5:30 am. I knew it would be an adventure, and I'd do it again, being somewhat wiser from the experience.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm a little surprised people would drive an EV into the zone of totality, knowing they would need to recharge. There were plenty of predictions of record crowds, gasoline shortages, etc. It was a good time to take the other car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Lack of infrastructure and anti-electric sentiment. Homeowner Association: "[A]n owner requested the ability to charge electrical [sic] vehicles in the garage. The Board engaged the Copper Green Team and learned that there are two charging stations [ports] in the B-Lot [three blocks away]. After seeking legal advice and evaluating the situation in the garage, it was determined that there was no logical place to install a charging station in the building. . . ." Electric vehicle charging banned.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
I figured I'd post my totality pic here. It's not great, I didn't research what the best techniques were for the DSLR to get a good image, so the camera overexposed the crown around the moon. But it's all I've got. I should done some research ahead of time on this, but our decision to go was a last minute thing. I'll be ready in 2024.

Having seen this with my own eyes, live, I highly recommend everyone take the trek to see a total eclipse in their lifetime. It wasn't just the moon blocking the sun, but also the 360 degree sunset feeling on the ground, and the birds stopping their chirping while the cicadas starting that made it surreal.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I'd post my totality pic here. It's not great, I didn't research what the best techniques were for the DSLR to get a good image, so the camera overexposed the crown around the moon. But it's all I've got. I should done some research ahead of time on this, but our decision to go was a last minute thing. I'll be ready in 2024.

Having seen this with my own eyes, live, I highly recommend everyone take the trek to see a total eclipse in their lifetime. It wasn't just the moon blocking the sun, but also the 360 degree sunset feeling on the ground, and the birds stopping their chirping while the cicadas starting that made it surreal.
Next total eclipse to cross my parts is in Sep....2099. I won't have to go far for that one! Just 6 feet up. :D
But seriously, I think I'm gonna go somewhere that experiences totality for the 2024 eclipse.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Next total eclipse to cross my parts is in Sep....2099. I won't have to go far for that one! Just 6 feet up. :D
But seriously, I think I'm gonna go somewhere that experiences totality for the 2024 eclipse.
I'm planning to be around Indy for the 2024 one. See you there.

I didn't see Loboc's ELR while in southern IL, but supposedly he was there.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
All the hotels are probably booked for 2024. I should book a hotel in 2099 for my great grandchildren.
Hotels don't book that far in advance as you never know if some hotel chain buys an older hotel from another chain. I'd book in 2023 and look for a hotel that is just getting built scheduled for completion 6 months before eclipse arrival. I was able to get an awesome Hampton Inn hotel in Boston for my daughter's graduation ceremony two years ago because it wasn't listed on any of the travel sites yet. I found it in a the specific hotel's website under "Opening soon" 3 months before they opened, 6 months before her graduation.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Drove 700 miles to the center of the eclipse with my local Tesla group. The only "clogged" Supercharger I encountered was the one at the hotel that 42 Teslas went to, specifically for the eclipse in Columbia, MO. We coordinated the charging, so we all had plenty of time to charge up. I topped off the night before. The cool thing about a Supercharger is that it typically doesn't run out of electricity, unlike gas stations that ran dry. Sure, it might take a while to get a charge, but you don't have to wait for a tanker of fuel to show up, tomorrow.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/long-gas-lines-in-co-some-outages-as-eclipse-approaches/605684306
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4807806/Rural-gas-stations-slammed-eclipse-visitors.html

·
Registered
431 Posts
I flew to Denver - I have a friend in Aurora - and we drove up to just north of Wheatland in Wyoming. It took us just over three hours on the way there setting off at 3:00 am but almost six hours on the way back right after the eclipse! Unfortunately it was all done in an ICE vehicle. Here’s my photo offering of totality. Note the star at about 7:30 in the picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I'm waiting for the 2024...I'll watch it from my tractor...:)

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I'm a little surprised people would drive an EV into the zone of totality, knowing they would need to recharge. There were plenty of predictions of record crowds, gasoline shortages, etc. It was a good time to take the other car.
Well, maybe people figured that at least they didn't have to worry about chargers running out of electricity. :p

The problem was a combination of capacity and density in that area, which isn't usually busy.

The majority of US Superchargers have 8 stalls or more (~63%) and all new builds are 8 stalls (~60%) or more (~40%). But the older sites are ones that are more likely to have fewer stalls.

Corning only has 6 stalls and to the North, Mt Shasta (~110 miles from Corning) only has 4 stalls.
Then, north of there Klamath Falls, OR (~190 miles from Corning) is relatively newer and has 8, but the older Grants Pass, OR location only has 4 stalls (and is 225 miles from Corning).
For the Bay Area, Vacaville, CA's about 120 miles south of Corning, but for those traveling farther south Manteca, CA's 176 miles south.

So, Corning, CA would have had a bunch of people who'd want to skip Mt Shasta, CA heading north or south, or to reach Manteca, CA heading south. That was a problem because it adds and extends charging sessions at a site with only 6 stalls.

Tesla already had plans to expand Mt Shasta, CA and Grants Pass, OR this year, plus has Sacramento, CA (10 stalls) under construction, and plans to build one in Redding, CA (between Corning and Mt Shasta). But it's too late for the eclipse. Had those additions been in place, people could have charged at Mt Shasta, Redding or Corning and had shorter, faster charging sessions.

Tesla had a similar problem at Barstow, CA around last Christmas. That's now been resolved, with expansion, plus construction at Yermo, CA and planned construction in Baker, CA.

These are problems that arise from the clash between the competing priorities of coverage and capacity. Once network coverage is complete and dense (which should only take a couple of years for Tesla and maybe a couple of years more for the Volkswagen* CCS network), it will all be about capacity and the problems will diminish.

As long as there's good fast charging capacity in Western and Northern Maine before April 2024, I'll be fine. ;)

* And whatever's the next company to be caught

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
As for the lines at the Superchargers, I had no lines at any of the three Shell stations I stopped at. As I posted in yesterday's lead story, ICE remains king in middle America when it comes to transportation.
Agreed. Distances between anywhere + cold winters + truck/SUV platform= ICE.
Regular was 2.16 in central NE and the only lines were for the bathrooms.:cool:

Edit

GJM3 : Outstanding photo! I was hoping to get something like that myself, but, unbelievably, I broke my camera's shutter putting film in it just before the eclipse started. "This can't be happening"
The planet Venus was very bright but couldn't see any other objects with the naked eye.

·
Registered
431 Posts
GJM3 : Outstanding photo! I was hoping to get something like that myself, but, unbelievably, I broke my camera's shutter putting film in it just before the eclipse started. "This can't be happening"
The planet Venus was very bright but couldn't see any other objects with the naked eye.
Looking on the Web, I think what I assumed was a star is actually the planet Mercury - I didn't have a wide enough field of view to see Jupiter way off to the left and Venus way off to the right.

Sorry to hear about your camera problem at the critical moment - my film camera is in the closet gathering dust! I used a digital SLR - Canon 70D - to take the shot. It was hand-hand using a Canon EF 70-300mm IS II nano USM lens (with autofocus and image stabilization on) set to full zoom (480mm equivalent on an APS-C camera) at ISO 800, f/5.6 and 1/90 sec exposure. Isn't image stabilization wonderful?!

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Looking on the Web, I think what I assumed was a star is actually the planet Mercury - I didn't have a wide enough field of view to see Jupiter way off to the left and Venus way off to the right.

Sorry to hear about your camera problem at the critical moment - my film camera is in the closet gathering dust! I used a digital SLR - Canon 70D - to take the shot. It was hand-hand using a Canon EF 70-300mm IS II nano USM lens (with autofocus and image stabilization on) set to full zoom (480mm equivalent on an APS-C camera) at ISO 800, f/5.6 and 1/90 sec exposure. Isn't image stabilization wonderful?!
I wish I looked up some camera settings before I departed for my totality viewing. I have a 60D with a similar lens (except no IS). My kids misplaced the tripod mount so I had a tripod and no way to use it, so mine is handheld. I tried to compensate with a 1/200 sec exposure, but I think my ISO was set to Auto which overexposed it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I wish I looked up some camera settings before I departed for my totality viewing. I have a 60D with a similar lens (except no IS). My kids misplaced the tripod mount so I had a tripod and no way to use it, so mine is handheld. I tried to compensate with a 1/200 sec exposure, but I think my ISO was set to Auto which overexposed it.
I practiced beforehand shooting the moon and found that, at 1/90 second and above with image stabilization, the results were the same with or without a tripod. I wish I had taken pictures of lower exposure to perhaps see some solar flares. I guess there is always April 8th, 2024 ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts