GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread, slapshot28 posted a link to a GM site that listed available software updates. There are a lot of them.

Any feedback on these? Do they make anything perceptively better? Do they screw anything up? Is it trivial for the dealer to do, or do you have to leave the Volt for a week?

·
4,852 Posts
On another thread, slapshot28 posted a link to a GM site that listed available software updates. There are a lot of them.

Any feedback on these? Do they make anything perceptively better? Do they screw anything up? Is it trivial for the dealer to do, or do you have to leave the Volt for a week?
Can you supply a link to the other thread here?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so sure. While I tend to agree with many of your points, the fact is that GM has released many software upgrades for the Volt. As is customary in capital equipment, these upgrades are installed on an "as needed" basis. You can peruse some of these upgrades by entering your Volt's VIN here: http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Numerous threads exist where this has been explained already- guess we need to "sticky" one of them (or this one)
The GM CALID website https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web lists the calibration details for your car based on your VIN
It's not necessarily showing you outstanding updates. For any given module your car may already have the most recent release.

The only way to know for sure is to connect your car to the correct dealership equipment where they can poll your various modules and compare them to the available levels. If an update exists, they can be performed however the system automatically forces certain groups of modules to be reprogrammed together in order to prevent certain conflicts.

Updates that include any sort of remedy for an operational concern are listed in technical service bulletins that your dealer has access to.
So if you had a particular complaint that was potentially addressed by an update you would need to book your car in for a dealer visit stating your concern and if applicable any update (or series of updates) would be applied and the repair would be covered under the terms of your warranty.

Specific updates deemed CRITICAL by GM would be made part of a CAMPAIGN where they will typically attempt to contact you (via mail, email, phone or Onstar) in in order to advise you to book a dealer appointment in order to receive the critical updates. (as have occurred on CERTAIN Volts over the course of the last couple years, including the battery protection enhancements for side impact pole performance )

If you wish to know if there is any "outstanding field actions" (e.g. critical reprogramming that has yet to be performed) that might be applicable to your car and might include software/firmware updates you can call your dealer or Volt Advisor. They will need your VIN to check the Global Warranty database to see if any updates are required for your car.

That being said, here is a current list (as of May1 2013) of potential campaign driven critical updates that might apply to your Volt:
(NOTE: *some of these updates may overlap certain model years *some campaigns may include other repair services other than programming)

#11264: Customer Satisfaction - Incorrect Electronic Climate Control Module Calibration
#11137: Customer Satisfaction - Product Enhancements
#11342: Customer Satisfaction - Enhancements for Side Impact Pole Performance

#12187: Customer Satisfaction - Automatic Crash Response System - Reprogram SDM
#11342: Customer Satisfaction - Enhancements for Side Impact Pole Performance
#11327: CMVSS Noncompliance - Incorrect Daytime Running Lamps and Theft Protection Calibrations (CANADA ONLY)

#12187: Customer Satisfaction - Automatic Crash Response System - Reprogram SDM
#12241: Customer Satisfaction - Delayed Rate and Departure Time Charge Mode Software Anomaly
#12315: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Connected Navigation Radio Voice Command Not Working
#12266: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Erroneous Electric Park Brake Message and Light, DTC C027D

REMEMBER NOT ALL OF THESE UPDATES WILL NECESSARILY APPLY TO YOUR CAR. SOME ARE VIN SPECIFIC OR MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN APPLIED

SEE YOU DEALER OR CALL YOUR VOLT ADVISOR TO VERIFY IF THERE ARE ANY "OUTSTANDING FIELD ACTIONS" REQUIRED FOR YOUR CAR

Routine updates with no campaign existing or with no operational concern indicated are generally not covered by warranty but can be applied on a "retail" basis if you so wish. The cost of this service will vary depending on the number of modules reprogrammed and the duration of technician involvement they required. Some reprogramming events can take an hour or two as after reprogramming there are usually various "setup" items or configurational variables (often based on optional content) that may need to me manually implemented to complete the update.

If you or anyone have any specific questions regarding Volt module programming or the various information provided by the CALID website, feel free to ask and I will try to answer/explain as best I can.

WopOnTour

·
Registered
906 Posts
its not al;ways a good idea to just say "Give me the latest software updates!".. some updates are out there only for customer complaints because there may have been a slight variance in a part from early model year to later.. or a supplier change that a calibration was slightly off, etc...

if a dealer was to just "load everything" you may very well break something that wasnt before...

some of this handled by VIN, but others are simply updates loaded when a customer complains something isnt right.. the item may be in spec but there may have been an enhancement to change the operation of a feature because of customer complaints.. so something may be changed that you liekd the way it worked previously...

-Christopher

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
its not al;ways a good idea to just say "Give me the latest software updates!".. some updates are out there only for customer complaints because there may have been a slight variance in a part from early model year to later.. or a supplier change that a calibration was slightly off, etc...

if a dealer was to just "load everything" you may very well break something that wasnt before...

some of this handled by VIN, but others are simply updates loaded when a customer complains something isnt right.. the item may be in spec but there may have been an enhancement to change the operation of a feature because of customer complaints.. so something may be changed that you liekd the way it worked previously...
-Christopher
Absolutely right. Especially with a system as complex as the Volt, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KNS

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
While I got one of these updates last month and the Bluetooth icon is completely darked out and not working at all...
The annunicator only lights up when a paired phone connects to the car.
Did you repair the phone after the reprogramming?
What year and radio do you have? Nav? MyLink?
WOT

·
Registered
160 Posts
FYI, the link to the Updates page, http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web gives an error after entering the VIN:

E4214: WARNING: You have received this message for one of the following reasons:
1. Session has timed out.
2. Another user is using the same user id/password and has terminated your session.
3. Security violation - user does not have access to this application.
I'd sure like to know what updates apply to my vehicle. There is a lot of odd behavior in the climate controls for example, for example, Fan-only mode is not fan-only but rather is identical to Eco mode.

I understand the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ideology, but I run into glitches now and again that aren't reproducible enough for a service visit, let alone the pain-in-the-rump of having to do the visit, so how would I ever know if something has been fixed?

Anyone know how to use that site (I've tried both firefox and IE and get the same error), or if there's an alternative?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Clint
It will be quite difficult to know if a firmware update is available without comparing the files between the car and the TIS2WEB database.
The dealer equipment does this automatically.
If you are having ANY issues with your radio, climate controls, or center stack, I suggest you visit your dealer raising your concern/s
They are certain to check for updates and apply them once the car is in the service bay
WOT

·
Registered
160 Posts
Clint
It will be quite difficult to know if a firmware update is available without comparing the files between the car and the TIS2WEB database.
The dealer equipment does this automatically.
If you are having ANY issues with your radio, climate controls, or center stack, I suggest you visit your dealer raising your concern/s
They are certain to check for updates and apply them once the car is in the service bay
WOT
Thanks WOT, my Volt Adviser via OnStar was able to confirm today I need one update to the drive-power system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gen1 Volt: Radio + ECU Software Update - Behind the scenes

Gen1 Volt: Radio + ECU Software Update - Behind the scenes

MODERATORS: Please move if there's a better place, or notify if it should be a new thread and I'll re-post it. I lightly documented the software update process for the Gen1 Volt while I had it in the shop today to receive 1.) Radio updates and 2.) an ECU update. I took multiple photo's of the software update process, with permission, in the back-shop. Here they are:

1. SETUP - The following were used:
1.1 Certified Technician​

1.2 Panasonic Toughbook, Windows 7​
1.4 "Software Programming System"​
1.5 GM Warranty Management Portal​

1.6 GM Multiple Diagnostic Interface 2, OBDII​

1.7 AC "Power Charge" Accessory Battery Power (prevents inadvertent interruption of the process)​

2. PROCEDURES:
2.1 Using VIN find applicable radio and ECU update packages​

2.2 Using laptop software, load files onto generic USB flash drive​

2.3 Use radio to navigate to "Software Update", three stages pictured below​

2.4 ECU flash was just another progress bar on the Laptop software and the OBDII adapter was used.​

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
These are the first photos I've ever seen of the apparatus involved in this process. Quite interesting! Thanks for posting.

M

·
0 Posts
Hi. The next week I'm purchasing 2016 Volt. I live in Europe in a small country Lithuania where we do not have anymore authorised Chevrolet dealers. Please advice if I'm righ that any Technician with the right skills and equipment could do the software updates and programming tasks, such as reprogram the hybrid powertrain control module 2 as per the N162070470 description ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello....Although it might be irritating to be constantly getting these software update notifications its very important that you don’t just skip over them like so many of us do. More often than not, software updates are about bug improvements rather than updating new features to the particular software. Not that you must hit yes with every update that comes your way, but doing it every so often will come in great benefit for you and whatever software you are updating. Software updates also helps update user interfaces and enhance efficiency, making it another reason why you SHOULD say yes to these software updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, using VCX Nano + $40USD/2yr subscription to GM SPS
Hi! I know this comes a bit late, but this may be of use for all European folks: The $40 deal does not apply outside the US. Europeans pay at the gme-infotech site 35 euros (about 40 USD) for just 2 hours of SPS. If the car is a US Volt in Europe, then that might be a different case, but otherwise we get ripped.

·
Registered
168 Posts
as I just found out, if you are in EU and want a 2y update from GM, you need a US credit card to make the payment.

A friend did it for me, and I can confirm that the EU update system it's identical to US, same updates

1 - 19 of 19 Posts