GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others here have paid to have their Volts' modules updated, I have seen $250 as an average price but I am wondering how dealers arrive at that amount and if my case should have been done under warranty?

It was two weeks ago on what was going to be the first frost of the season I unplugged my 2012 Premium Volt and moved it outside so I could move my tropical plants into the garage to save them. The car had no issue moving out and and I shut it off and locked it. But when I later started it to drive to work, still parked outside and now in 34F temperatures, I saw a check engine light. I checked the codes at work with our OBDII reader. They were:

P1e00 - lights the check engine light
P1fff - System Isolation Lost - coolant level sensor (charging system was disabled by this one)
P0aa6 - EV Battery System Isolation Lost

The car drove like always but would no longer charge. I checked coolant level which was fine, I reset the codes and they came right back. So I made an appointment at the dealer and took it in the next morning. I got a ride home and it was three hours before I got a call. The problem that caused the check engine light was fixed under warrantee but I was told there were 11 updates that could be done and those would be done at a bargain price of $299.88.

Well I was glad that what appeared to be a serious issue was fixed under warrantee so I said to go ahead with the updates.

Two hours later I was told it was ready, total charge with tax was $321.60. I got a ride back and picked up the car, I asked what caused such a serious sounding error and I was told he did not know but the software update fixed it. Ok, so a software update apparently changed tolerances that were suddenly exceeded in the old software? What else could it be? Hopefully not a cycle counter.

So I took the car home trying to notice what all those 11 updates did and I only found one thing, a new light was on showing a problem with the airbag. I figured it was telling me the passenger airbag was off but when I sat in the passenger seat it showed two airbag problems. So back it went the next day and two hours later I was told that the airbag system was not reset as required after the software update, no charge.

Ok so I am wondering if I should indeed have been charged for the software update if the problem that started out of the blue on a cold day required a software update to fix and that was under warrantee? The problems were with the Voltec system, would it not count under Voltec warranty?

The receipt shows that the 22 point inspection was free but I was charged $299 for what was no more than 2 hours of labor because that is how long it took before I was called after saying go. Each update has its own warranty claim code, CD816, CBDAB, 58A58...8 more.

I am thankful that this is the first issue I have had with the car in at least 3 years though this is the first one I have been charged for.

Please advise.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
It seems unfortunately, that every dealer is a bit different on how they charge for the Volt software updates. My dealer told me that software updates are 100% covered while still under the 3yr/36k b2b warranty. Outside of that, they have to charge for them to the tune of 1 hour of labor PER update. This particular dealer charges $90 per labor hour. I have 3 outstanding updates for my 2013, but for $270 I've been putting it off in favor of more important maintenance, for instance, the 5yr coolant flush and fill.

Edit: Just FYI, one of the outstanding updates I have for the 2013 is for the high voltage battery module thing a ma jig. I can't remember exactly what it was for, but since it was for the traction battery, I asked, should it not be covered under the 8yr Voltec warranty? They replied, no. Software updates are only covered by the b2b warranty.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I may be reading your receipt wrong, but it looks like the original problem (job #1) was fixed under warranty. As for the other updates, most of these, if not all, are customer satisfaction campaigns that are done for free as long as you are still under the 3/36 Bumper to Bumper Warranty. It looks like you were charged for the time it took to install the updates. I think the current labor charge is well over $100 per hour.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You don't say how many miles are on your car. Mine happened right at 103k miles. (Not a CARB state car, so out of warranty)

GM should be covering these updates under some kind of warranty extension program. At the very least it would have been nice to get a notice that these updates are available while the cars are still under warranty.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Updates for the Voltech equipment such as the Power Inverter Module,Battery Energy Control Module, Hybrid Powertrain Control Module (1 and 2) are covered under the Voltech warranty. Do not pay for these updates if you still have Voltech warranty! The line A software updates were covered under this warranty but the other modules such as a BCM, Radio, PSCM ect are not covered. They should have listed every module that was updated in there story. I do not remember there being 11 modules besides the 2 modules updated on line A in the car. Would you thing that if they just worked on the suspension that they would write replaced 5 bushings? What modules were updated?

·
Registered
433 Posts
@mpmoore1979

Can I send you a scan of the two software update sheets my dealer gave me? They appear to be for the BECM but maybe I'm mistaken. Can you look at it and let me know if they should be covered under the Voltec warranty? Like I said earlier, dealer told me no, but if you say yes, I'll push back.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Scratch that, I can't figure out how to attach to a private message, but I do know how to attach to a reply.

scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess I'm just lucky, but my dealer has never charged a penny for any software updates or two 15 amp fuse replacements. Plus, he always provides a loaner if the job will take over two hours. I would expect nothing else for a 16 month old car with less than 5K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG I never got any indication that my message above was ever posted let along that people were replying to it. The car had 66k miles and is under warranty.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I sure wish I could get away with charging those rates for my computer support work.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I sure wish I could get away with charging those rates for my computer support work.
Call out work is $60 per hour, two hour minimum, and that IS the friends and family rate. Rate for strangers is double that. I don't get much work at that rate, but that suits me fine too -- I don't like doing it.

My brother works on a "glass rate". You give him a glass of bourbon, and he leaves when the glass stays empty or the job is done, whichever comes first. You better be on top of things with a bottle to get the job finished. (He says it's mostly because that way people can't leave, and they end up learning to do the work on their own, because there's NOTHING ELSE TO WATCH while they're making sure the glass doesn't empty.)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Call out work is $60 per hour, two hour minimum, and that IS the friends and family rate. Rate for strangers is double that. I don't get much work at that rate, but that suits me fine too -- I don't like doing it.

My brother works on a "glass rate". You give him a glass of bourbon, and he leaves when the glass stays empty or the job is done, whichever comes first. You better be on top of things with a bottle to get the job finished. (He says it's mostly because that way people can't leave, and they end up learning to do the work on their own, because there's NOTHING ELSE TO WATCH while they're making sure the glass doesn't empty.)
I have a friend (former neighbor of my sister who long ago moved), who tells me his computer is "constipated", and immediately asks what he can cook for me. Endless supply of beverage is also included and he often sends back frozen meat or canned goods.

F

·
0 Posts
A little historical perspective. Back in the 60's/early 70's when I worked for IBM we were charging $10.40/hr. for service work (travel time also billed). I remember thinking back then, what individual (OK for oil companies) are going to pay that kind of money to get their machines fixed? Then I heard that Motorola charged IBM $80/hr. to get our radios fixed (they were beepers that when we had a call waiting they would beep and we would use the customer's phone to call in to dispatch to get our next calls). As time went by rates kept increasing. When I left in 1980 we were charging around $80/hr. for doing the same work. When I started working for a small outfit sometimes in the early/mid 90's I was trying to get their intra phone/computer system hooked up to their remote warehouse. I figured I had everything right but couldn't get it to work. Called in to have a service guy from the company whose hardware we were using come in. He charged $250/hr and for 2 hours work the bill was $450. Turned out I had everything right but the leased phone line was two wire and needed to be four wire. That was twenty years ago. How's that for perspective?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

FYI: For DIY'ers with access to the proper SPS programming tool such as the VCX Nano or similar, cost of GM software updates is a flat $40 fee for 2yrs per VIN!;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts