GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Volt and in this vehicle and my prior vehicle, I have always switched the displays to the metric setting. In my Volt everything now displays in metric with one exception--the speed limit of the current road that is displayed on the navigation map. It still shows MPH although everything else is metric. :-(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have the same 2013 with Nav, and I'm also a metric guy. I think that this is a 'feature' rather than a bug. The raw map data likely contains the speed limit data stored in MPH, and only has the US-style icons. I sticked a little conversion table next to the speedometer, and by now I know it by heart.

I find this the least of the NAV problems, as there are much worse issues:

• Poor routing suggestions with XM traffic on. It has no idea about the speed and congestion on the local roads when it tries to avoid a congested highway.
  • Voice prompts mute any other audio source (music or phone). This cannot be controlled, even though there seems to be a setting for that.
  • Occasional factory reset for no reasons. This happens intermittently. Many configs (including voice prompt, AM/PM, home screen configs) are reset. This can be noticed when the system shows the legal disclaimer.
  • The nav option removes the 'FAV' botton on the console that accesses the radio presets on non-nav equipped Volts, requiring a 2-click workaround.
  • Slow nav startup, during which there is no access to climate or radio controls. Generally you want to change those settings at the very beginning of the drive, and this forces you to wait for the screen to unfreeze. The 7-year old Denso-built nav in my Toyota did not have this issue, even though the Volt nav is also made my Denso.
  • Awkward POI search options. Try finding the nearest Starbucks: it might suggesting some that are 600km away.

Otherwise, its redeeming quality is that the 3D nav display is kinda pretty and the screen is very sharp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have some of the same issues as you esp the first one. it reroutes me off the freeway and right back on sometimes

I have the same 2013 with Nav, and I'm also a metric guy. I think that this is a 'feature' rather than a bug. The raw map data likely contains the speed limit data stored in MPH, and only has the US-style icons. I sticked a little conversion table next to the speedometer, and by now I know it by heart.

• Poor routing suggestions with XM traffic on. It has no idea about the speed and congestion on the local roads when it tries to avoid a congested highway.
  • Voice prompts mute any other audio source (music or phone). This cannot be controlled, even though there seems to be a setting for that.
  • Occasional factory reset for no reasons. This happens intermittently. Many configs (including voice prompt, AM/PM, home screen configs) are reset. This can be noticed when the system shows the legal disclaimer.
  • The nav option removes the 'FAV' botton on the console that accesses the radio presets on non-nav equipped Volts, requiring a 2-click workaround.
  • Slow nav startup, during which there is no access to climate or radio controls. Generally you want to change those settings at the very beginning of the drive, and this forces you to wait for the screen to unfreeze. The 7-year old Denso-built nav in my Toyota did not have this issue, even though the Volt nav is also made my Denso.
  • Awkward POI search options. Try finding the nearest Starbucks: it might suggesting some that are 600km away.

Otherwise, its redeeming quality is that the 3D nav display is kinda pretty and the screen is very sharp.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Voice prompts mute any other audio source (music or phone). This cannot be controlled, even though there seems to be a setting for that.
I agree. Even when talking to someone via Bluetooth, it makes it so I cannot hear the other person. The other person can hear the turn-by-turn voice! :(

Slow nav startup, during which there is no access to climate or radio controls. Generally you want to change those settings at the very beginning of the drive, and this forces you to wait for the screen to unfreeze. The 7-year old Denso-built nav in my Toyota did not have this issue, even though the Volt nav is also made my Denso.
It takes forever. When it initializes, it should do it in the background. This is a basic software engineering design pattern.

Awkward POI search options. Try finding the nearest Starbucks: it might suggesting some that are 600km away.
Try to find a Post Office! I still haven't figured this one out. On my Lexus, Post Office was a category, as was Japanese or Italian, etc. (for restaurant cuisines which were categorized). I'm not at my Volt at the moment, but I think there is a category of "Businesses", which is too ambiguous.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

Amen, brother!

In addition to everything you just mentioned, my main pet peeve is that it doesn't save your preference for displaying time of arrival (e.g., 3:00pm) vs minutes of travel time remaining (e.g., 27 minutes).

I always want it to display the time of arrival and yet it always reverts back to minutes. It's so, so, so dumb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amen, brother!

In addition to everything you just mentioned, my main pet peeve is that it doesn't save your preference for displaying time of arrival (e.g., 3:00pm) vs minutes of travel time remaining (e.g., 27 minutes).

I always want it to display the time of arrival and yet it always reverts back to minutes. It's so, so, so dumb.
Same here. Very annoying to have to change it back every time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I would be happy to have a few of those problems. My garmin nuvi was the best eta, speed for roads and pretty good traffic... Well my 2011 has none of that. I have to subtract to get my eta. ( I wait till the hour or half hour to do that) no speeds for current roads, and traffic sucks I use myiphone with a app called wake which is really good it routed me around a major back up yesterday and got my daughter to school on time.. It sound like you guys in the 1213's got a better system but it still has a few bugs in it

·
Registered
847 Posts
You guys are lucky; I didn't realize that the nav in the 2013s had these new features. We don't get speed limits, and I'd love the *option* of having time of arrival rather than minutes (even if I had to keep switching back -- although, yeah, I'd probably complain about that too!).

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Well I would be happy to have a few of those problems. My garmin nuvi was the best eta, speed for roads and pretty good traffic... ...
You guys have gotten me to thinking... We're getting the NAV feat. but already have an older Nuvi 5000 [big screen for old eyes but not as large as the Volt's] and love it. It doesn't have the traffic feat. but everything else including lifetime updates. And yes, it looks up Starbucks [or anything else you've entered by name or business type] sorted by which is closer on top with distance and arrows pointing to which direction they are from you as you're driving - without entering what city you're currently in first. It also has a backup camera input.

It looks like we may be augmenting the built-in on road trips unless they've ironed things out by the time ours is delivered or soon afterwards.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It would have been so easy for GM to give Garmin a call.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Slow nav startup, during which there is no access to climate or radio controls. Generally you want to change those settings at the very beginning of the drive, and this forces you to wait for the screen to unfreeze. The 7-year old Denso-built nav in my Toyota did not have this issue, even though the Volt nav is also made my Denso.
Completely agreed about the "Please Wait... Navigation Starting" modal dialog that should be a background operation, but I use an easy workaround. Even if that message is on the screen, you can press the "Home" button and access whatever you want from there; changing climate options, changing source or presets, etc... I typically leave my center display on the Split Nav/Radio view and whenever I start up the Volt, it has that split screen in the background with the "please wait..." dialog over it. With the workaround described above, I can change anything I want without having to wait for that dialog to disappear to regain touch access to the screen.

Of course, YMMV and work-arounds stink in general, but at least we can make-do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts