GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
People are viewing this thread but not replying so i'm going to reply to my own thread because it seems that everyone isn't grasping the concept.

This technology is endless in it's ability to transmit electricity. It doesn't have bounds. The distances at which this can transmit this power is endless. The stronger you make the magnetic field that transmits the power the larger the radius. Also, if you don't know magnetic fields can go through anything and cannot be stopped. The can be altered somewhat but not stopped. This means it isn't only a new way of transmitting electricity it is a new method of transmitting communication. A method that has no bounds. Nikola Tesla was the first to develop this technology 100 years ago and it was destroyed for "security reasons." He claimed he had a car that was powered by this endless amount of energy that could drive forever without needing recharged and had no batteries. So, for the people overlooking this thread you need to understand that this is the biggest news the world has ever known. This could and should, if not repressed by the powers that be, change the world more than WW2. It means more than atomic weapons. If you don't believe that just ponder on the possibilities for awhile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In any sort of near term, I think you may see very low power devices, such as cellphone chargers, become available as short range "wireless", if, for example, you buy a "magnetic osccilating field generator-transmitter" for your kitchen area.
The strength required of a magnetc field nessessary in a kitchen to run your refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, toaster & kitchen lighting wirelessly, would probably cause your forks, knives & pots to fly around the room, & pull on your zipper as well ! :)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes, but. . .

A picture and more figures here: http://technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=1836

. . . did you see the efficiency figures? Loses only 25% of the power at two to three feet distance? And what about the size of those coils? Compared to that, give me a cord any day. Looks to me that they are providing a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I expect this will be a novelty, nothing more. They also said that magnetic fields don't affect the human body. Maybe so, but I wouldn't want that much energy floating around in my house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see it as a novelty at all. There is a lot more here than most people are going to think about. I'm not going to lay it out there because it's my belief that in general we as a people need to learn to think outside the box a bit more. Thinking inside of it is what lead us where we are on the energy situation. There are possibilities in this technology if pushed to change things drastically.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Boy, talk about being 100 years late!

Nicola Tesla did this 100 years ago and even had backing to build the first tower to transmit electricity wirelessly. It was built in New Jersey I believe. Financial supporters pulled out when it became clear that they could not figure out how to put a meter on the air and charge for the power and that anyone could just tap into it. Here's some reading from the net http://www.tfcbooks.com/articles/tws8c.htm

As long as we're on the subject of Tesla, how may of you know of his electric car that needed no batteries? He built it, he drove it, and when the so-called experts of the day told him it couldn't work he took his power source and went home, destroying it and any scematics he had showing how to build it. So much for a real lost opportunity. http://keelynet.com/energy/teslafe1.htm

·
Registered
200 Posts
re: wireless electrical transmission: it's certainly possible to transmit and recover electrical energy. In fact, you can "harvest" energy from high-tension transmission lines with a few loops of wire within the field emanating from the wires. It's not particularly HEALTHY to hang around in that field, however, so I don't know if high-powered wireless electricity transmission or long exposures to lower-powered setups (like sitting at your desk at work all day) would be a good idea.

Nikola Tesla was certainly a talented genius, but I just can't believe in his magic electric car pulling power from "the ether" without a shred of credible evidence. It seems from various reports that he was a man who liked to get his way and liked to be right, so I think if he had such a magic method for harvesting energy from "the ether all around us" he would have proven it and either implemented it or sold it to Westinghouse or another of Edison's competitors (since the friction between Tesla and Edison is somewhat legendary.) Even assuming that Tesla had discovered some boundless source of energy and then withheld it, in 100 years with smart people doing all sorts of research in the field I think someone else would've stumbled upon it as well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
re: wireless electrical transmission: it's certainly possible to transmit and recover electrical energy. In fact, you can "harvest" energy from high-tension transmission lines with a few loops of wire within the field emanating from the wires.
It is also not legal. If you "harvest" enough power to register as a drain, it will be investigated, your setup will be discovered, and you will be in deep doo.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't see it as a novelty at all. There is a lot more here than most people are going to think about. I'm not going to lay it out there because it's my belief that in general we as a people need to learn to think outside the box a bit more. Thinking inside of it is what lead us where we are on the energy situation. There are possibilities in this technology if pushed to change things drastically.
Greed and laziness is what put us in our energy situation. I am not going to re-hash this here; you can find lots of posts discussing this.

What is your level of scientific/technical education and training?

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is also not legal. If you "harvest" enough power to register as a drain, it will be investigated, your setup will be discovered, and you will be in deep doo.
I never suggested it was legal to do so, I was talking about the electromagnetic effects, and I mentioned high-voltage transmission lines because there are a number of studies showing ill effects on people exposed to those fields over time, and I think similar effects would be experienced by people and animals exposed to this "wireless power" field over time. I'm not too lazy to plug something in... if we're going to go to the trouble to set up some standard for these wireless power transmission systems, why not just standardize cords and power supplies (like USB-powered items ALMOST are... you still need about 4 different cables to cover all your stuff, but it's an improvement over a more or less unlimited number of different wall-wart transformers.)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Explain how a new short-range, expensive, extremely lossy form of electricity distribution changes our energy situation.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I never suggested it was legal to do so, I was talking about the electromagnetic effects, and I mentioned high-voltage transmission lines because there are a number of studies showing ill effects on people exposed to those fields over time, and I think similar effects would be experienced by people and animals exposed to this "wireless power" field over time. I'm not too lazy to plug something in... if we're going to go to the trouble to set up some standard for these wireless power transmission systems, why not just standardize cords and power supplies (like USB-powered items ALMOST are... you still need about 4 different cables to cover all your stuff, but it's an improvement over a more or less unlimited number of different wall-wart transformers.)
Hi Gearhead,

I didn't mean to suggest that you implied it was legal. I was just adding that in case someone got any bright ideas. . . ;)

I think a semi-standardized wall-wart spec makes sense. If the wall-wart DC jack fits a product, it should work. There could be a very simple communication between the WW and the target product; the communication could be done over the same wires used to deliver power. The WW could provide some minimum level of voltage and current, and the target could be "alive" enough to say "I need x volts and y amps". The WW would then give you a green LED or red LED for "go" or "no go". Of course, this might add $0.25 to the cost of the WW and product, which most large mfrs would scream about.

I have boxes of WWs for all kinds of different products - battery chargers, big gel-cell flashlights, cell phones, you name it. I hate trying to remember which WW goes with what product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like most new things... it's not quite the fairy tale the marketers make it out to be. Granted, this technology certain has a HUGE market, namely, recharging anything with a 3-14 volt small lithium battery at home. Cameras, cell phones, PDAs, "possibly" laptops... Set them on a pad when you walk in the door, and they charge.

The only market for this technology in electric cars is the charging jack. The EV1's fast charger was inductive. This was done for safety I think... no bare metal on the paddle or the car.

As for Tesla, his ideas for transmitting electricity wirelessly were not based on standard induction. His ideas, "the tower" had something to do with using the earth itself as a carrier. So the earth was the "wire" in some sense. No one really knows for sure.... which I think is really sad, that we've lost that knowledge.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Tesla was both ahead of his time and a little crazy. I think there's a reason his free energy wireless towers didn't pan out, other than him destroying his blueprints. He also tried to make deathrays for the navy. They gave him tons of funding but it never panned out. Now a century later the technology is here and we're putting giant laser systems in 747s and AC130 gunships.

There's a new breathless fluff article about wireless electricity every few months now it seems. This stuff is certainly not going to change the world. It might have some niche uses in the near future, but I don't see why you'd want to waste the time and energy on it when a simple wire is better and probably safer. Losses in efficiency are the opposite of what we're looking for in terms of technology breakthroughs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are only big losses if there is a distance involved. The charging "pad" idea could actually be more efficient then every device having it's one cheap AC-DC converter. Low power super cheap AC-DC converters, like for your cell phone, are extremely inefficient. If you replace all those with a charging pad, with a single high efficiency AC-DC converter with good parts you'll win out. The pad could even go into deep sleep using weight on the pad or something.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
There are only big losses if there is a distance involved. The charging "pad" idea could actually be more efficient then every device having it's one cheap AC-DC converter. Low power super cheap AC-DC converters, like for your cell phone, are extremely inefficient. If you replace all those with a charging pad, with a single high efficiency AC-DC converter with good parts you'll win out. The pad could even go into deep sleep using weight on the pad or something.
Right. Kind of like my electric toothbrush. No exposed metal contacts. Just put it back into it's inductive charging base, and make it happy.

A "charging pad" could be a reality, but it would be more of a convenience than it would be a world-changing technology touted as "wireless power".

·
3,689 Posts
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Last year MIT was able to light a light bulb 7 feet away at 40 - 45% efficiency. This year Intel was able to transmit energy 3 feet away at 75% efficiency. Another group claims 90% efficiency at 3 feet way.

People have only been working with MIT's new method for a year so we should give them some time. The biggest problem will be to shrink the size of the coils. How much can they do it is the question. However, we are still talking very small amounts of power over very small distances with large coils. I can imagine in 5 to 10 years we can have a cool power station you plug into your wall and can charge your phone without wires You just put the phone down on your desk and it’s always fully charged. That would be a cool application and even if the efficiency was not that great we are talking about very small amounts of energy. The convenience would rule the day.

I wouldn't expect your car to be able to be wirelessly charged any time soon. There would need to be several more breakthroughs first. Let's cross those bridges if and when they are built in the future.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is a large market for 3 feet (or less) transmitted energy - long haul trucking. Because there is not a large number of significant accelerate / decelerate cycles in a long haul trucking, serial hybrids would only have moderate impact, and electric only is a joke for 80,000 lbs.. However a highway with significant portions 'wired' to broadcast electric power could give them enough range extension that our requirements for liquid fuel would be really close to nothing. The numbers I've seen claim that long haul trucking uses 25% of our total fuel requirements. If you have a different number please post source, I'd like to see them.

As to the availability of power in general, might want to do some searching on Bussard / Polywell fusion devices. With a little luck...
Wouldn't bet my house payment though. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
serial hybrids would only have moderate impact, and electric only is a joke for 80,000 lbs..
You do know, there are electric trains right? GE even has one that recovers large amounts of breaking energy.

A truck is big and heavy. So a heavy propulsion system won't be as significant a percentage to the entire vehicle as it is in cars. However, trucks get pretty good mileage for their weight. They'll get like nearly 9 miles to the gallon. ( Could be improved even more by cheap aerodynamic updates. ) So the expense of large batteries just isn't worth it for trucking just yet.

My vote is Biodiesel for trucks, EREV for consumers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Electric hybrids do help the situation. Numbers I've seen are a 20% - 30% increase in mileage due to efficiency improvements. Torque improvement could help also. Regardless, the issue is availability of fuel supplies. Once cars electrify, something like 75% of the demand for oil based fuel is gone. The question becomes do we have access to the fossil fuel resources to keep long haul trucking going with diesel. We can make diesel from biomass and coal, but that is a lot of investment also. Which is cheaper is the question. And I don't know that answer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts