GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Ordered 8/5 and took delivery today (Georgia) 8/29. Blue, LR, RWD, EAP, PUP, Aero Wheels.
Now to learn to trust Autopilot.
Congratulations. Hope you have a great experience with it.

Re: trust Autopilot
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?325887-5500-mile-road-trip-and-95-using-AutoPilot-and-SCs
I drove with AutoPilot for 95% of the [5500 mile] trip. It was fantastic for the highway driving. Drove with hand(s) lightly on the wheel with much less cognitive work and allowed me to enjoy the scenery while staying refreshed/alert.

·
8,680 Posts
Ordered 8/5 and took delivery today (Georgia) 8/29. Blue, LR, RWD, EAP, PUP, Aero Wheels.

If anything, I think people tend to trust Autopilot too much.

Think of it like a well behaved eager and inexperienced teenager you're supervising. It does the simple things quite well 99% of the time, which can lull people into false confidence, because it doesn't do anything for deer, potholes, or road debris yet (may never), and merging cars can be dicey. Watch especially for stopped cars, an inherent weakness for all adaptive cruise systems.

(Which isn't to say I dislike it, or suggest not using it. I use it daily, and wouldn't buy a new car without something comparable today. I also pay attention while it is driving.)

Congrats. From everything I've read, it skyping be a great car. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats. The M3 is an amazing car in all respects from an American company and made in the good ole USA. The thing about it that really stands out is just how fun it is to drive, and I'm no stranger to fun to drive cars!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

Awesome. I ordered a week after you, but AWD, so I hope to get it before year-end. Did you have a reservation?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

Congrats!

It takes about 100 miles for autopilot to calibrate itself. It will start to notice cars in front of you and in the lanes on either side. After that it is pretty simple:

One press down on the right stalk turns on TACC. You'll see the blue circle around the speed on the display. Use the right thumb wheel to set it faster or slower. You can also touch the speed limit sign next to the blue circle to set it to the speed limit.

Two presses down on the stalk turns on autopilot. You'll see the little steering wheel icon turn blue and also blue lines on either side of the car. To change lanes, just press the turn signal stalk up/down to the first detent and release. When safe, the car will slide over a lane.

Four presses on the stalk turns on "more cowbell"/rainbow highway mode. (My son says this is a Mario Kart thing. :) )

Press the stalk up to disable TACC/autopilot.

Oh yeah - and in Santa Claus mode, the cars on the road show up as reindeer.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was not a reservation holder nor have I owned a Tesla. I decided to go full electric because of the Volt but did not consider the Bolt because of the need to take trips and I am not going to wait that long to charge or have to look for a place to charge. For me autopilot said it was ready less than halfway home from Decatur to Dallas Georgia... so very quick.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Awesome, I'm in the same boat as you, but I ordered the AWD! I've been trying not to change to RWD in order to get it faster. The waiting is brutal. I waited 4 months for my Volt from order to delivery, and it looks like I'll have to wait 4 months for my Model 3.
I was not a reservation holder nor have I owned a Tesla. I decided to go full electric because of the Volt but did not consider the Bolt because of the need to take trips and I am not going to wait that long to charge or have to look for a place to charge. For me autopilot said it was ready less than halfway home from Decatur to Dallas Georgia... so very quick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats! Thinking about pulling the trigger on M3 myself. Love the Volt, it has been satisfying all my electrical needs!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Congratulations. I had one on order but decided to cancel it and will reorder when it gets closer to my March 2019 lease turn-in date... Planning a 2WD, long range... I did an extended drive in a Bolt but just could not get used to and comfotble in the seats... The was a deal-breaker for me.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I did an extended drive in a Bolt but just could not get used to and comfotble in the seats... The was a deal-breaker for me.
Reportedly the 2019 Bolt will have new seats and other things.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I purchased my 3 without EAP in May. I just got the two week free trial and tried it out today. On the highway, not too bad - it keeps within the lines well and changes lanes automatically with the turn signal. It does seem to have some issues with sharper turns and trying to keep too close to the left side lines. It feels weird when it pulls on the steering wheel, almost like a ghost driving. I still have to try out the summon and parking features. It's fun and all, but I fail to see the $5000 to 6000 value for my driving needs.

It makes me wonder if the EAP take rates are not as good as Tesla hoped. If they offer it on "sale" in the future, say at $2000, I'd probably go for it.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Reportedly the 2019 Bolt will have new seats and other things.
Looks like the 2019 seats are the same. https://insideevs.com/2019-chevy-bolt-better-seats-suspension/

***UPDATE: General Motors has contacted us regarding these possible changes to the 2019 Bolt. As it turns out, some information from Mike Lelli was likely misinterpreted. For the official record, front seat improvements were made for the Model Year 2018 Bolt and carry over for the 2019 Model Year. As for the suspension, the Bolt does not have a new setup for 2019, though GM says it’s always fine-tuning its products.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I purchased my 3 without EAP in May. I just got the two week free trial and tried it out today. On the highway, not too bad - it keeps within the lines well and changes lanes automatically with the turn signal. It does seem to have some issues with sharper turns and trying to keep too close to the left side lines.
Keep in mind this keeps evolving with OTA updates regularly. Lot of videos on how this has evolved. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX7M7K4QFQk It also varies quite a bit based on the road you are on...number of lanes, contrast of road to side of road, type of painted lines (single, double, dashed, dots, etc). You would need to try it on a variety of roads and places to get a real feel for it. 95% of my driving on my 5500 mile trip was using AP. My son will use his TM3 in long commute traffic which is another excellent place this shines and people rave about. Same for Volt owners using comma.ai OpenPilot. See: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthrea...ing-Volt-with-Openpilot&p=4610399#post4610399

It feels weird when it pulls on the steering wheel, almost like a ghost driving...
I always keep my hands lightly on the wheel and it feels like I have Jedi powers controlling the car. My best explanation to geeks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imgur Album

So the pictures as asked. Only issue is that the tint apply guy got some moisture in the mount for the rear view mirror so I got to figure out how to get that out. It isn't blocking the cameras there but it cannot be good for them

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Imgur Album

So the pictures as asked. Only issue is that the tint apply guy got some moisture in the mount for the rear view mirror so I got to figure out how to get that out. It isn't blocking the cameras there but it cannot be good for them
Looks great! That is the color my son is getting. He is also getting tint on the front door windows to get better UV protection. Curious what % of tinting you got.

Re: Moisture -- I would take your car to Tesla to get the moisture removed or take off that mount yourself (youtube videos). If you take it to Tesla and they charge you ask the tint apply guys to cover that. Aside: I took off the camera/rear-view mirror mount myself when I ran wires for my dashcam in my X ... but I was much more confident doing it after watching a couple youtube videos where it was being done. A quick google search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBEhRA0VU8

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I am Georgia legal on my tint, so ceramic 35. I have not done the rear window, if i do they have to order a roll for it to do it in one piece. I might as the rear window is not IR like the top is. As for the moisture, overnight it evaporated out. was hoping it would since if it got in it has to get out.

so going to give it a few days to decide if I want the rear window done. They did one III before and the guy only wanted it to the top of the defroster and while it looks fine on the outside the tint guys said they themselves did not care for the look from inside.

other notes about the three...
Apparently it used to have a setting for speed sensitive sound but that was removed and made "always on" but of that I am not so sure it works. This car needs the side windows front and rear IR tinted (ceramic). Hoping one day they add an option of for maximum start up volume on audio.

oh I hate the cruise control, it wants to go to the speed limit plus offset disregarding if you are driving below what it thinks the limit is. If works like you expect a CC to work when it doesn't know the speed but I want it to assume the speed am at and maybe assume last previous speed if I hold the stalk down longer. (it can startle you with its balls to the walls acceleration)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I purchased my 3 without EAP in May. I just got the two week free trial and tried it out today. On the highway, not too bad - it keeps within the lines well and changes lanes automatically with the turn signal. It does seem to have some issues with sharper turns and trying to keep too close to the left side lines. It feels weird when it pulls on the steering wheel, almost like a ghost driving. I still have to try out the summon and parking features. It's fun and all, but I fail to see the $5000 to 6000 value for my driving needs.

It makes me wonder if the EAP take rates are not as good as Tesla hoped. If they offer it on "sale" in the future, say at $2000, I'd probably go for it.
Would be interesting to hear from a Volt Premier owner compare EAP to TACC/LKA, etc., etc., etc. Since the Premier's packages only add about $1000, the $5000+ for EAP seems quite pricey. I mean useful, but pricey. I didn't order EAP, but I would also consider it for $2000. If it gets a whole lot smarter, obviously, I'd be willing to pay more for it.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have used EAP on some two lane roads with a good number of twisty sections it does a decent job never once prompting me to take over. it does like to hug that center line though or I should say I drive closer to the white line than it feels comfortable doing itself. So when I let it drive on the two lane it is too close to the yellow for me. Still have not reached the point I trust it to stop when the guy in front does.

oh, I really think they should work some computer magic and fake the blended braking the Volt has... as in since it knows if it can regen or not it should use engine braking to do braking up to what it thinks you want when you manually apply the brakes. yes one pedal driving is easy but it isn't the safest option

1 - 20 of 32 Posts