GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One concern I had was charging at home as I use my NEMA 14-50 with my Tesla Mobile Connector so I only have a standard 20am backed 110 right next to it, GFI style. Well apparently by reading this article at insideevs I can buy an adapter for $239 that takes it from the Tesla connector to J-1772 which is what the Zero SR/F has a connector for.

Interesting the first article claims the Tesla mobile connector may be the best deal in all EVSE adapters. The issue I have even with the Zero motorcycle is they rate their range in "city" miles and then give highway later or combined city/highway which can be half that! Some have said and I am easily believing it a good windscreen can actually improve range so I am hoping more manufacturers look at wrapping their EV motorcycles with more fairing with better windscreens to remove the rider as a source of drag. This brings up the next problem, to wrap them they will need to liquid cool the packs and motors because most are using air cooling. Lightning uses liquid cooling but make decidedly sport bike ergonomics, Zero is all air cooled, BMWs scooter is air cooled, and Harley's Livewire appears to have an air cooled pack with liquid cooled motor.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
What's the charge rate for the motorcycle? Does it even make sense to buy an adapter or is it overkill as the motorcycle won't support charging at that rate? Stock charging rate is only 3kw with 6kw an option. Parameters look similar to a Volt.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Lightning Motorcycles says they are releasing their new Strike model this summer.
They start at $13k (90HP, 3.3kW L2), but to get the big dawg with CCS charging and 120HP, it's $21,500 and also includes 6.6kW L2 charging. It also has 150 miles highway, and 200 miles city range. 20 minutes of DCFC adds 100 miles of range.

Unless you are in a rush, I'd look and see what Lightning releases and when.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the charge rate for the motorcycle? Does it even make sense to buy an adapter or is it overkill as the motorcycle won't support charging at that rate? Stock charging rate is only 3kw with 6kw an option. Parameters look similar to a Volt.
Trying to make heads or tails out of the charge rate based on the Zero page can be a tad difficult because it is "asterisk" meaning it probably requires the upgraded charging 'tank' beyond the 6kw the premium version of the bike offers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've looked into the Zeros and they just don't work for me. The power tank option claims 223 miles city range but only 150 miles (at 55 mph) highway. Detroit is 90 miles one way from my house and the "west coast" beaches about the same. A recharge is 5+ hours without the fast charge option which is precluded by the extra battery capacity. With standard "large" battery and fast charge option, the charge time is cut in half, but the 109 mile highway range (at 55 mph) wouldn't even get me there one-way at 70 mph.

Most motorcycles get stupid bad gas mileage, mostly because of silly huge engines. My 500 lb Ducati gets at best 40 mpg and my 3800 lb Volt does 44 mpg. Yes, M/C aero is bad, but the frontal area is small. Build for 50 hp like the Honda NC750X does, instead of 150 hp, and the mpg's go to 60+.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still planning on a test ride the week of Memorial Day. Zero bit off more they can chew and are behind in deliveries already. They are not big enough to do both a US and EU debut simultaneously. The range at speed is off putting but to me this was to be a local fun bike and I have a few rides I do that border around a hundred or so round trip. The issue is they were not meant to be slow rides but rides along two lane twisty roads and the stock SR/F won't do but eighty odd miles at 70+ or just under one hundred at 55+. So while I should squeeze in under the 55+ that just doesn't cut it. Even add the additional battery its not what I consider ideal, that cost nearly $2400 dollars and weighs forty pounds which is all up high!

but still I will humor myself and go drive one but my built in excuse is if they are going to have an issue getting pre-orders into customer hands by June then everyone else is waiting till July and half the season is blown by then.

I am seriously considering just buying a used Miata, 2012-2015, and save a pretty penny.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I'm afraid there isn't enough interest in building electric motorcycles.
Zero is still building them, and there's distributors in Canada. Harley-Davidson is building the Livewire, selling THAT in Canada, and just pushed out a new model a couple of weeks ago. How much interest is "enough"?

·
Administrator
21,126 Posts
Zero is still building them, and there's distributors in Canada. Harley-Davidson is building the Livewire, selling THAT in Canada, and just pushed out a new model a couple of weeks ago. How much interest is "enough"?
Spammer. Mixed some semi-relevant content with a spam link. Banned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts