GM Volt Forum banner

Snow Tires for the Bolt EV

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Dilko1 
#1 ·
I just bought a set of steel wheels and Blizzak WS 80's for the Bolt today (tirerack.com). Last winter I had my wife drive my Volt (with snows). This year, we will both be equipped.

The steel wheels were no heavier that the aluminum and even lighter than some! They can take a beating (potholes) and are about $30-$40/wheel less expensive. We are going black commando, no plastic wheel cover that in my experience either crack, or go missing.

I got 16" rather than 17" wheels for a higher tire sidewall (potholes), and a narrower 6.5" width rather than 7 or 7.5" (better in snow). They arrive tomorrow or Saturday mounted, balanced and TPMS installed. I'll throw them on my tire storage rack until we get the first big snow threat. We get less and less snow in the Chicago area, but when it does snow, a set of snow wheels can't be beat.

If they are like my Volt snows, we will lose about 5 miles battery range. Worth the reduction for the added safety in my view. Plus, the Bolt has range to spare, lot's of it.​

#2 ·
#4 ·
Literally the first line of my first post above answers your question. This leads me to think you simply made a quick post here and did not really read the thread.

Also suspicious, you are looking for Bolt tires when you say in other posts you have a Volt. Looking at those posts, I'm leaning toward the idea you will become a spammer at some point. With that in mind, I deleted a link you posted. The next link you post will be the last until I'm more positive you are not a lurking spammer. Perhaps a harsh response, but again, so far you are profiling as a spammer to be. If time shows I'm wrong, my apology. :)

#5 ·
After snowageddons 1 and 2 I purchased snow tires for my g1 volt. Since then I’ve used them less than a handful of times, and probably could have lived without them. They probably have less than 500 miles in them. I’m tempted to sell them, but I am certain that as soon as I do, snowageddon 3 will come.

Reactions: Booyah74
This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I personally think blizzacks are overpriced and overrated as you pay extra for half a snow tire/half an all season. I roll on Yokohama snow tires. The blizzard feature of the slows wearing out and turning into all season radials seems like a gimmick. I’d rather have a higher performance all season radial for spring/summer/fall and a fulltime snow for winter.

#7 ·
I decided to cut costs and go with Hankook W616 winter tires. $440 OTD on my rims. Haven't had a big snowfall yet but they've passed my handling and more important, braking experiments on icy snow.

#8 ·
I bought the same tires for my 2020 Bolt EV. 16” alloy Drag rims from discounttire direct. Cheap. They Are LRR tires, highly rated on Consumer Reports. They have been great. I just sold my oem summer wheels and tires. They are being replaced by 15” alloys from carid With General Rt43s. Again, cheap. I hope this 15” wheel gives me a 10% higher summer range. But they definitely won’t look cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.