GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this disable the tire pressure feedback on the display? just debating weather to pay for the sensors when i get my snow tires and rims next week.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, it disables the tire pressure display and shows a warning message. Some people do it, but you would be giving up a safety feature. You also may have trouble passing a safety inspection if you have one coming up before spring. I don't think the sensors are all that expensive, depending on where you buy them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On my 2017 volt I got the correct sensors off of ebay for $70 us for a set of 4 and the programmer for about $14. Works great and really easy to do, I rotate tires every 7000 km.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
634 Posts
Buy a set of sensors. You pay for them in one tank of gas that you didn't put in your Volt!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I went over 50 years with out tire pressure sensors and never had a flat tire/tire problem. Don't see tire pressure gauges as a necessity or safety issue, just a gizmo like the out side temperature display on the dash. If you don't know how to maintain your car, should you really be driving one?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I went over 50 years with out tire pressure sensors and never had a flat tire/tire problem. Don't see tire pressure gauges as a necessity or safety issue, just a gizmo like the out side temperature display on the dash. If you don't know how to maintain your car, should you really be driving one?
That is an impressive record. I pick up a nail, screw or other sharp object and get a slow leak in either one of my two cars about once per year (once every 2 years per car).

TPMS became a mandated safety device after realizing that there are a lot of accidents, including fatal rollover accidents, related to unknowingly driving on under-inflated tires.

Assuming you manually check your tire pressure every month, then if you get a slow leak from running over a nail, you could potentially be driving on an under-inflated tire for days/weeks without realizing it. The TPMS can alert you of that. I maintain my tires better than most people, and it has helped me several times catch a leak early before the tire is damaged. It is also convenient to have the individual tire pressure displays for routine maintenance vs. manually checking each tire to know when to top off.

May not be necessary for someone with your good luck, but for many people it can be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run my snow tires with the TPM light on all winter. Does get annoying after a while to see it on the dash.

I had ordered 15” Cosco Rims, Continental winter tires and TPMS off eBay. Installed and balanced myself with Princess Auto tire changer and static balancer.

I did found out very quickly that the 2016 Volt TPMS are a different frequency than the new volts. Ughhhh. Just make sure you buy the right ones. Worth the $70 off each for the added price of mind.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
634 Posts
Not only are the later sensors 433 vs 315mHz on the earlier cars... I don't think your 15" wheels will fit. Did something change on the Gen 2s that allow 15s to work?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Really? The 2016 is also a Gen 2, why would they change frequency?
I run my snow tires with the TPM light on all winter. Does get annoying after a while to see it on the dash.

I had ordered 15” Cosco Rims, Continental winter tires and TPMS off eBay. Installed and balanced myself with Princess Auto tire changer and static balancer.

I did found out very quickly that the 2016 Volt TPMS are a different frequency than the new volts. Ughhhh. Just make sure you buy the right ones. Worth the $70 off each for the added price of mind.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Not only are the later sensors 433 vs 315mHz on the earlier cars... I don't think your 15" wheels will fit. Did something change on the Gen 2s that allow 15s to work?
The relearn tool I bought for my 2011 Volt thankfully also works with the new frequency used on my 2017 Bolt EV. I recall reading that the frequency was changed due to issues with sensors on other cars? Or not. Google it if you really care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah the 15” wheels fit fine. Although basically any tire shop will tell you that 16” is as small as you can go for some reason.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
At first, you could do the relearn without a tool. Our 2009 Cadillac did not require a tool.
So unless you let others rotate your tires, you also need to buy a tool, not just sensors.

And sensors DO wear out. Few if any have a replaceable battery.

Sensors do not make you put air in your tires. And they do have a significant failure rate. It was one of the top "New Car Repairs" before Infotainment systems buried everything else in a landslide.

Reliability Ratings on cars now are how well the radio works and the TPMS. The real problems don't score high enough to be helpful.
So a car with no or limited Infotainment, and a cheezy TPMS system will rate well in reliability, like Tesla did. No Carplay or Android Auto problems and the TPMS system was not very advanced, it didn't show individual tire pressures and required a dealer visit to relearn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts