GM Volt Forum banner

Snow tire mileage

3K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  cougsfan 
On my 2011, the Blizzaks cost 5 miles of driving range. Worth it for winter snow handling. I usually put mine on in December depending on a coming snow storm.

You guys are scaring me about driving my 2018 on snow/ice. I drove a 2013 for 3 winters without any problems. Thru snow so high I basically plowed the street. No problems on the original tires.

Is everyone saying the Gen2’s with original tires aren’t as good?
I'm saying any car with all seasons will be worse in snow than the same car with snow tires. I think the others are saying the same: snow tires are better in snow.

Snow tires are way better for snow. They remain soft under 7 degrees Celsius whereas all seasons would harden and have less friction. Basically speaking, if you live in an area that gets winter snow, get winter tires.
Yes, snow tires aren't just for snow, they are also better in the cold.

After internally debating with myself, I put the snow tires on my wife's Bolt tonight. There will be a little bit of slushy snow during her commute tomorrow, and I generally put snow tires on mid-December anyway. The only disadvantage is lost milage. But the Bolt has plenty to spare, so I threw on the snow tires.

One bummer: one tire's TPMS will not relearn. I must have gotten one bad unit from TireRack on these new wheels. That will be an interesting call.

I went decades without snow tires.

But once I bought a set, I was hooked. The handling is superior when crossing slushy lanes, plowing through a plow pile when crossing an intersection, driving through snow covered streets, making turns or stops, even on dry roads on cold days. Are they absolutely necessary? Obviously not, people scrape and slide by without them just like I did for many, many years. But for me, the cost of avoiding an accident (with a set of snows) is minor compared to the cost of even a small accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.