GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can someone please recommend a snow chain or socks for my 2018 LT
The best recommendation I can offer would be to consider a set of winter tires instead of using chains. Here's a quote from the owner's manual about chains and other traction devices:

"Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash.
Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for the vehicle's tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer's instructions. To avoid vehicle damage, drive slow and readjust or remove the traction device if it contacts the vehicle. Do not spin the wheels.
If traction devices are used, install them on the front tires."

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The best recommendation I can offer would be to consider a set of winter tires instead of using chains. Here's a quote from the owner's manual about chains and other traction devices:

"Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension, or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause loss of control and a crash.
Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for the vehicle's tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer's instructions. To avoid vehicle damage, drive slow and readjust or remove the traction device if it contacts the vehicle. Do not spin the wheels.
If traction devices are used, install them on the front tires."
I read another post with that warning but could not find it in my 2018 manual, is this old info maybe fore gen 1 ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with the dealer, they recommend spikes spider as an alternative to rev chains.
Anyone use them?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Initial cost, storage space, cost to mount 2x a year. Lease vehicle
I hear ya. It's too bad because it'd be so much less hassle to just put the winter tires on and be done with it.

The tire sock thing sounded intriguing so I looked into it a little. If I was forced to choose between metal chains or a fabric sock being 4" from my fender I'd probably go with the sock. One thing that concerned me was that it sounds like they don't recommend leaving them on overnight or for extended periods. At least that's what this Auto Sock product recommends in their FAQ. I don't know where you live or how frequently you'll need to deal with winter weather but I suppose that's something to think about.

https://autosock.us/faq/

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I purchased a set of auto socks on Amazon. I have not used them yet, they are strictly for an emergency. I have the socks in case I need them to get up a hill or out of a parking lot. In any event the socks would not last more than a couple of miles even if you are careful about not exceeding the recommended 25 MPH speed when using the socks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a set of socks and used them once last year on our Sonic when it iced over in ATL. They worked pretty well in a pinch and stupid easy to install.

If I needed something for more than a few days I would get snow tires. But to have something to use in an emergency that you can keep on hand all the time, the socks are worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts