GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had to deal with ice and snow on my Gen 2 Volt until this morning when it snowed last night. My charge door and cord handle were covered with snow. What made it worse was I couldn't close the charge door. Ice was packed all around and hardened. I had to chip away all the ice with my fingernails in order to be able to close the door. Seems like EV charging is a fair weather affair especially if you have to park outside. Fortunately it should warm up soon but next winter I may have to evaluate some type of a cover or a blanket of sort. What do seasoned Volt/Bolt owners do during outdoor winter charging?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think it was an oversight for Chevy to design this the way they did and not provide a means to protect the charge port from this very issue.

I occasionally have to deal with it (most recent being yesterday). I just grab a cup of hot water and carefully pour it over the ice covered areas and then wipe off the water with a cloth.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
That can happen when you have falling moisture around the freezing point. I thought I saw something like a cover type thing some time back to prevent such a thing. Mine sits under a lean to in winter so is protected. A lot of solutions out there. Google it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That can happen when you have falling moisture around the freezing point. I thought I saw something like a cover type thing some time back to prevent such a thing. Mine sits under a lean to in winter so is protected. A lot of solutions out there. Google it.
We just had freezing rain which turned into snow. It happens on occasion but not enough for me to have searched for a solution. However it is, IMO, an oversight on GMs part.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But what do you do when ice is hardened around the door as well not just the port? Seems like I will still have to cover the whole area with a small tarp

·
Registered
614 Posts
But what do you do when ice is hardened around the door as well not just the port? Seems like I will still have to cover the whole area with a small tarp
If you have freezing rain that would cake the car in solid ice, then you might have to do something like that. Or charge the car up before the weather hits and then batten down the hatches.

I wonder if anyone makes a full car cover that accommodates the charging door being open? (I'm sure you could have one custom made.)

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is what I do when ice is on the door (typically the edge), hinge, and tab (as well as the door "frame" of the body).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Dupont sells a teflon spray that'll prevent that for a year or so, or you can prevent it for a couple of day with cooking spray, at the cost of it collecting dust later until you scrub it off. The difference between the cans is that the teflon spray costs about $8 more and you probably already GOT a can of Pam.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Volt Premier
40 Posts
About a week after our Volt arrived from California, we had a bad ice storm with 3/4" ice accumulation (it was a nice welcome to Virginia for the Volt). Before the storm, I placed a small hand towel over the charge port door and the charger handle. Worked fine and I was able to remove the towel after the storm passed with no problems. The charge door and port were clear of ice and I could easily remove the charger from the port. YMMV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What do seasoned Volt/Bolt owners do during outdoor winter charging?
I use two plastic bags.
One slipped over the cord with the connection end poked through a just-big-enough hole in the bottom of the bag. This bag keeps the Lear's handle's release button on top from being immobilized. (my Clipper Creek has the release underneath)
The other bag is draped over the port access door and is wrapped around / tucked in the connector to hold the bag against being blown away by wind. This bag keeps the cover's hinge and latch from being immobilized.
These don't help with 1/4 inch or more of all ice accumulation, but snow melt and re-freeze, and ice on snow, are easily dealt with.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
If you have freezing rain that would cake the car in solid ice, then you might have to do something like that. Or charge the car up before the weather hits and then batten down the hatches.

I wonder if anyone makes a full car cover that accommodates the charging door being open? (I'm sure you could have one custom made.)
GM makes one but the cover is flimsy and cheap material. It also doesn't protect the charge port door when in use. I sent mine back for shoddy workmanship (that and they sent me the Gen 1 cover and not the Gen 2 cover).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dupont sells a teflon spray that'll prevent that for a year or so, or you can prevent it for a couple of day with cooking spray, at the cost of it collecting dust later until you scrub it off. The difference between the cans is that the teflon spray costs about $8 more and you probably already GOT a can of Pam.
Don't do this...!!
Oils especially May be incompatible with certain plastics, and can cause premature failure - brittle micro cracks that over a year get larger until one day your door snaps off because it's become so Brittle.

Teflon may or may not be compatible. Any types of sprays like this are a bad idea on plastics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in Michigan. Usually park outside. In the last 4 Winters, there's maybe 1 instance each year where I can't latch-close the charge door - and I just drive with it like that. It is able to close by the time I get to my destination usually.

For me, this is always because of ice in the door pin receptical on the charge port freezing up. Ice on the pin, door, hinge hasn't stopped closure.

The charge port cover someone posted earlier is what I would buy. I regret not having it every winter, because I don't like snow being that close to exposed electrical terminals when unplugged. The door not closing hasn't been a big enough issue for me to buy a cover - the snow buildup is what I'd prefer to prevent - but just isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a small piece of thin rubber - maybe 18” square that I use as a tarp over the charge port and door to protect the whole area from snow and ice. The rubber is heavy enough that high winds will not get underneath it and I secure it to the car with a fairly powerful magnet stuck on the rubber above the charge door.
It’s clunky for sure but works great and avoids having to drive with the door stuck open - or even worse stuck closed because i forced it closed with ice still in the latch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts