GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will this accident affect my warranty?

EDIT: Question: Is this fender bender going to affect my warranty??? I'm over 11,000 miles and just getting ready to purchase the extended warranty.

Yesterday I was in a 3-car accident which resulted in minor damage to the front and back of my 2014 (which I've had for just 1 year last week). There were only very minor injuries to both people and vehicles. The police and ambulance came, but no one was transported.

The at-fault driver, who rear-ended me and pushed me into the car in front of me at a red light, injured her knee, and I had mild neck and back soreness.

The interesting thing was that after the police officer identified who was driving which vehicles (he thought I was the at-fault driver's passenger because when he arrived I was comforting her -- she was crying), he said to me, "You know there is something I need to ask to ask you." Since this was only his second statement to me, I figured he was going to ask me if I had my seatbelt on. But he said, "How do you like your Volt." Ha, ha.

He was a nice man and I asked him not to cite the driver (in Ohio you don't have to; the driver is still shown as the at-fault driver on the crash report) and he agreed which made the driver feel better. I'm getting ready to call the insurance company now.

Here are the answers to all the questions I will get:
1) No, Elemental, she was not texting. Yes, Elemental, there were 3 women drivers involved.
2) I did not have the car in "L" and my brake lights were on.
3) My air bags did not go off.
4) Scarlett's radiator screen is unscathed, even though I was pushed into the trailer hitch of the SUV in front of me. (My front license plate & frame are bent up, however.)
5) It didn't even occur to me to push the OnStar button for help. I fished out my cell phone from my purse and called 911.
6) There were no elderly drivers nor teenage drivers. Both the other drivers were in their fifties, and I am six years older than my teeth.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
This is terrible. So sorry to hear it. Glad you are OK. Glad minor injuries to the car and You!

Comforting the person who caused it?! Youre nicer than me for sure. And, not cite her? She hit your car.... She needs a ticket, how else will she learn? Bleeding Hearts (Shaking my head!)

3 Women in a row, come on, what did you expect.

Mild soreness and back pain............Sounds like how TurtleDove got rear ended this weekend. ;)

·
4,874 Posts
Sorry to hear that DogMom, but glad you're okay and nobody was seriously injured!

Did you convince the police officer to go buy a Volt? :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Im glad everyone is Ok,

1) Someone beat me to it, did you convince the cop to pickup his own Volt?
2) Is this your dog in the attached clip HERE ?? :p

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im glad everyone is Ok,

1) Someone beat me to it, did you convince the cop to pickup his own Volt?
2) Is this your dog in the attached clip HERE ?? :p
ClarksonCote and Konimail, the officer wanted to know if it was worth the extra $$ since he could buy a new car for $20K. I told him about how little gas I put in it for the mileage. Don't know if I swayed him or not!

1612202, no, thankfully there were no canine injuries. I was on my way home from church, so none of them were in the car.

Konimail, that is the cutest clip EVER!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm glad we were all okay and all had our seatbelts on.

For you early readers/posters, I just updated my original post with a comment about my radiator screen (point #4).

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
2) I did not have the car in "L" and my brake lights were on.

Glad it is minor and no injuries.

So far, all the Volt rear-enders reported here have happened when the Volt was stopped with brake lights on.

We have heard from some members that brake lights should be forced to come on to prevent rear-enders when driving in low. Meanwhile all the evidence points to brake lights being of no help, that most rear enders occur when the person being hit is stopped with brake lights on. Yours is yet another example.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
So far, all the Volt rear-enders reported here have happened when the Volt was stopped with brake lights on.
Usually a rear end collision involves one vehicle stopped.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Glad you're OK, Dogmom.

Sounds like your Volt was still drivable after the accident. You still may want your Chevy dealer to do the repairs to be sure all systems are go.

Best of luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glad you're fine. Cars can be fixed or replaced - not always the case for humans (unless you really want to replace them).

·
Registered
708 Posts
Usually, yes, but not when you piss this guy off!

Oh, and DogMom, glad you are OK.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Yes, which makes the calls for having brake lights on when driving in Low even more head scratching. Rear enders are overwhelming caused by inattentive/distracted drivers. Brake lights do not stop them.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yes, which makes the calls for having brake lights on when driving in Low even more head scratching. Rear enders are overwhelming caused by inattentive/distracted drivers. Brake lights do not stop them.

Right! Think this guy is going to notice anything in front of him?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Glad you're ok.

This is a case for robotic braking (heck, robo-driving!). ELR has an gen1 version, but, it doesn't stop soon enough for my taste.

I turned off some of the 'driver assist' stuff like lane warning. I take the apex of turns, so, the dang thing kept buzzing the seat. Annoying.

I'm still tying to make the ACC drive like I want it to. No settings to mess with, so, I have to keep playing with it to drive like a sane person. I find that keeping the cruise speed close to the actual traffic speed helps. ACC tapers off the acceleration as it reaches the set point, so, it drives smoother. The gap setting (time between cars) is not very helpful since ACC uses up most of the gap before it starts slowing down. If the car in front stops too quickly ACC doesn't detect and react fast enough. On the opposite end, ELR accelerates way too fast on cruise control. The thing needs some serious tweaks for the next gen.

I think I read where GM has something called 'super cruise' in the works. My understanding is that uses lane keeping and speed keeping together to basically drive the car autonomously under certain conditions. (ELR doesn't have lane keeping. Only lane departure warning.)

edit: Super Cruise

"Traffic crash data seems to suggest a need for automated driving systems. According to the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration, human error causes more than 90 percent of all crashes, a figure that could be lowered with widespread use of automated driving systems."

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...es/news/us/en/2014/Apr/0421-super-cruise.html

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Usually, yes, but not when you piss this guy off!

Oh, and DogMom, glad you are OK.
Is that Elemental we see driving and recording the bumper cars??? I believe it is. He has threatened this kind of behavior enough -- probably saw someone texting and was trying to knock the phone out of her hand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL - a bit early, or did you go straight to dentures?
I'm too old to remember back that far!

I called the insurance company. It will be interesting to see what the damage estimate is going to be since the damage was minimal in front and back.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts