GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each morning enroute to work, I traverse a traffic light on a lightly used stretch of Interstate highway. This morning the light was red, so I came to a stop next to a Ford mustang. The woman driving the Mustang was a blonde with bangs and a shoulder length bob (picture Jenny McCarthy at the HollyRod Foundation). She was obviously quite impressed with the Volt, and was giving my car quite a look over. I don't know if it embarrassed her, but when she saw that I was observing her checking out my Volt, she began revving her engine, and nodded once at me as she gave the bird forward out her windshield.

As the light turned green, the Volt instantly leapt past the Mustang. I heard her tires squeal. As I looked back in the rear view mirror, the blonde's mouth was gaping wide open. By the time I hit 55 mph, she had decided that she couldn't catch up, and gave it up. Bye bye baby.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I happened to do the same with a young driver in a modified acura, low profile tires, noisy tuned exhaust, that was revving
is motor at the red light, with the intention to pass me when it will turn green.
He he he.... No way, Jose!

At the turn of the light, he succeeded to barely follow me on his 1st gear engine screeming, but as soon as he had to shift, bye bye!!!
he was torched! I saw the deception on his face when he had to contemplate my green plate... from behind.
I think he will have to continue to invest huge lots of money to get is car to simply match the acceleration level of the Volt.

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
284 Posts
I too, think that all blondes in Mustangs are checking me out...

LOL, just kidding James. She flipped you off? What a piece of work.

·
Registered
509 Posts
When you look at the track numbers, the Volt really can't compare to any of these cars. But in the real world I find that the Volt's traction control trumps just about anything out there. I have only had three real drag races (2 where I knew the other drivers), and the results were:

2012 Hyundai Sonata - 200HP - Completely smoked him. Mostly because his tires just spun for the first second or two (even though he had traction control).

2010 Audi A4 Turbo Quattro - neck and neck for the first 10th of a mile, but we had to throttle back after that. I suspect that the Audi may have been pulling ahead toward the end.....

20?? Bentley Continental GT - W12 550 HP- He completely smoked me.....

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In one fluid gesture, she rolled her arm at the elbow such that her hand went from the back of it facing me (i.e. toward her passenger side window) to the back of her hand facing up (i.e. palm down) and extended forward toward her windshield. The middle finger was the only one in play :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
James McQuaid - Did she really flip you the bird?!?
He must have forgotten to mention he had asked her for her phone number...:)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was an older Cobra with the center stripes.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Completely smoked a Porsche

I realize that when you look at 0-60 times neither the Volt nor the Leaf are very fast, but in the real world they are. Sort of like football players. Some have great times at the Combine but on the field they're not so fast, and some without great times are.

Coming up to a traffic light yesterday I saw a ton of cars in the right hand lane (we have a county fair near us so there are lots of people who aren't usually around). I looked to the middle lane. Three cars there. But the far left lane was free. Since I wanted to make a right hand turn in a couple of lights normally I would have just stayed in the right lane but there were so many cars there I figured I'd just go for it, go to the far left lane, and then move to the far right lane between lights. When I pulled up there was a black Porsche next to me on the right in the second lane. When the light turned I took off because I didn't want to cut off anyone in the far right lane where I needed to be. I think I took the Porsche driver by surprise because the car didn't move and then I heard the engine roar. But no problem, I glided to the far right lane at least 70 feet ahead of the first car in that lane.

At the light the Porsche comes up and the driver revs the engine. We're headed up a slight hill so I figured I wouldn't get completely smoked so I'd give him a run. When the light turned green I was off. I looked back and HE WAS STILL SITTING THERE! My first thought was "he saw a cop and he just so completely set you up, you idiot". I looked around. Nope. Then I realize that the cars in the lanes to both his left and right were going by him and he was still sitting there. Obviously he had popped the clutch and stalled the thing! Ah, the joys of an automatic.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
As long as we are making confessions.....

I had my cousin and her husband out for a demo ride a couple nights ago, and we happened to get stopped next to a late model Corvette. I was in the process of showing them how good the Volt accelerates anyway, so when the light changed, we took off pretty briskly. Apparently the Corvette driver took offense to that and went full throttle almost immediately. He only gained a half car length on me, and when he had to shift, I pulled back even with him, but he started pulling ahead again in second gear. By then we were up to about 40 mph, so I backed out of it. My cousin's husband was VERY impressed. And that was with 400 pounds of extra passengers in the car!

Hmmm.... Wonder how quick the Volt would be if you put a set of super low-profile tires on the 17" rims?

I could always pretend it was a "low-rider". Ha ha.... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have put mine in Sport mode several time and I always win off the line (mostly because they chirp their tires). The newer sports cars and decked out cars catch up easily. What I find funny are the jacked up 4X4's that think that their big loud trucks with big mud tires can keep up... they end up with surprised looks on their faces when I see them in my rear view mirror and I am already up to speed. :)

The Volt is fun, and I know that it is not a sports car. I already have 25k miles on my car, and I still enjoy the advantages of an EV that can go farther. The comfort is comparable to a luxury car, and the quickness and low center of gravity give it the sports car feel. Nearly a year of ownership and could not be happier with a car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The fun thing about the Volt is you can kind of trick people. They don't know you've floored it because there's no revving up of the engine, and no billow of smoke coming out of the exhaust. By the time they realize you're really hauling, it's too late to react and you're in front of them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The fun thing about the Volt is you can kind of trick people. They don't know you've floored it because there's no revving up of the engine, and no billow of smoke coming out of the exhaust. By the time they realize you're really hauling, it's too late to react and you're in front of them.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The lack of noise is what really suprises people. And the low end torque of an electric really shines from a stop.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The lack of noise is what really suprises people. And the low end torque of an electric really shines from a stop.
Agreed 1000%. I remember zooming away from a stoplight in my Volt next to a BMW Z4 with the top down. He wasn't trying to race me, but I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the Z4 driver craning his neck outside of his car and staring at my Volt. He must have been wondering, "WTF? That car isn't making any noise, and it just smoked out of this stoplight!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my dad in his BMW 335IS, it was to about to 40mph, and he was about to blow me away but the next light got him...Turbo Lag!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
I raced an old dude in a Boxster off a light today and murdered him! I'm not sure he knew he was racing, though... lol. I really needed to get to the left lane. Cool story!

Always remember when racing rear wheel drive cars, especially ones with front engines, and especially^2 ones with no launch control... that results off the line are wildly varied. A huge amount of driver skill goes into getting those kind of cars to leap off the line at maximum pace.

For example, the fastest published by a magazine time I've ever seen for a Corvette ZR1 is like 11.3 @ 130 or 133 or something in the 1/4 mile on a dragstrip. The fastest recorded by a real driver is 10.6 at 133. The difference from 10.6 to 11.3 is not a slight difference, its a whole different category of car.

To the best of my knowledge, no car under 500k besides the ZR1 has ever gone 10.6 in the 1/4 mile bone stock. And VERY few cars over 500k have. But... some of those cars above 500k with that guy driving possibly could. The cars taht do well in magazines use computers to launch themselves, but the best drivers are still faster. I'm not faster... but some guys are. A random blonde at a stoplight probably isnt. Me? I'm a pretty darn good driver, no way in hades I break the 11s in a ZR1, I'd be pleased as punch with even hitting the 11s.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is bad.

My insurance company specifically gave me a discount on the assumption that Electric Vehicle drivers are responsible people who make responsible decisions and drive responsibly... If it gets out that EV drivers are more likely to gun it at lights because of quick torque and no 'just burned a litre of gas' guilt... It may be the beginning of the end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts